6.0

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Acura TLX:

Jun 012017

TLX Technology Package 2.4L I4

The car exhibits an excessive vibration while idling. This is the 4 cylinder 2.4L direct injected model with the 8 speed dual clutch transmission. The issue began occurring about a year into ownership, around 10,000-12,000 miles. I am now at about 3 years of ownership and 30,000 miles with no fixes yet. The issue is most pronounced when the vehicle is in gear and the foot on the brake when stopped, like at a stoplight. The vibration seems like an engine/exhaust sound at a very low frequency. It is very annoying and even painful at times, especially after prolonged stops at stoplights or traffic jams. It gives me headaches from time to time. I have had a couple Acura dealers look into it. Unfortunately their diagnosis was this is normal operation.

I have even called Acura Client Relations a couple times. They escalated the issue but ultimately concluded they could not help me and the issue was an incompatibility between the owner and the vehicle. Seriously, they said that. The dealers have compared it to other used 4 cylinders TLXs and said my vibration issue was similar. I did test drive a brand new 2018 4 cylinder a few months ago and it did NOT exhibit this issue. And I am very familiar with 4 cylinder cars, as I've owed several and none of them did this. I know 4 cylinder cars have more engine vibration than a 6 cylinder, but this is bad. It happens most often if there is some load on then engine, like if the AC or heater is on.

I can mitigate this issue in several ways. 1) Avoid stopping. 2) Put the car into neutral when stopped at stoplights, etc., 3) Minimize the use of accessories. 4) Keep all the windows closed. My guess is that there is some resonance between the engine exhaust at low rpm and the chassis/cabin design. I have seen lots of complaints about the 2.4L direct injection 4 cylinder in the Honda CRV having low rpm vibration problems too. May or may not be related. I cannot believe a modern car, especially one from Acura, would do this. And it's also unbelievable that Acura Client Relations is blaming me instead of digging into the issue with the car. While the dealers have looked into the issue, there is nothing more they are willing to do. Ugh. I planned on owning this car for 10 years+ like my previous Acura TSX, but I might just need to find an automaker who I'm not incompatible with. Also note, the car is very quiet when driving, it's just annoying when idling.

Update from Mar 12, 2019: I have been researching this issue and the best I can find is that this 2.4 liter direct inject "earth dreams" engine is based on the 2.4 L DI engine also in the previous gen Accord, previous gen CRV, and the base current CRVs. This engine has a 8-mm offset between the cylinder bore and the crankshaft. This is intended to create a more favorable crank angle for improved efficiency. So much for precision crafted performance. And I still cannot believe Acura Client Relations filed this as an incompatibility between the owner and the vehicle. I'm steamed and upset Acura is blaming me.

- Mark L., Minneapolis, US