Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Audi Q5:

Jan 032019

Q5

As I was preparing to park at my local grocery store in an assigned space I experienced a sudden unintended acceleration. The front end slammed into a concrete retaining wall, causing major damage to both my vehicle and the retaining wall. The car was practically at a complete stop when this occurred. Additionally when I reversed the car it accelerated back at a rapid speed. It was very scary and thankfully nobody was injured or worse. This could have been a serious or fatal situation and I feel that there was some kind of electronic failure. Considering the safety record on this car I felt very unsafe and not in control.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jan 022019

Q5

On three occasions beginning in the spring of 2018, the tailgate has randomly opened with no command from the owners. Each time the car has been in our garage and we have been elsewhere. Each time the tailgate collided with the garage door when we opened the garage door was opened causing body damage. A quick google search shows that this is a recurring problem for the Audi Q5 and other models and that this problem has occurred outside on streets and roads as well as inside. The dealer said that Audi has a provided the dealer with a technical bulletin to make software changes remedy this problem. However, even after the software changes, this problem has recurred. Audi has refused to pay for the body work. On the first occasion, I paid for the body work. On the second occasion, the dealer paid for the body work after Audi refused to pay. The car is now going into the dealer for an extended period so that the dealer can work with Audi engineers to hopefully solve this problem once and for all. If the tailgate opens on a highway and luggage falls out, someone could be hurt or killed.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jan 202018

Q5

I purchased my vehicle on 4/21/2017, I was sold by the dealership on the advertised safety feature called the Audi pre sense. Audi pre sense detects collision hazards all around the car and initiates specific preventive measures. On 1/20/2018 at 9am I was involved in an accident where I was driving on a city street going about 10-15 mph, I was stopped at a red light and was driving off from the intersection due to the glare in my eyes I was not able to see a cement pillar in front of me. The car collided and there the entire front was smashed in, the engine belt was clipped.I contacted Audi head quarters and described to them the incident, provided pictures, and police report. Audi customer care told me that the safety feature does not work in sunlight and that in this cased the Audi pre sense would not of detected anything. This is far different from what the dealership told as well as what is published on their website. The Audi pre sense should be 360 view and my car should have alerted me that I was in an accident.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA