Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 BMW X1:

Jun 152017

X1

When I extend the passenger seat all the way to the back, the fuse blows up. There are sparks under the seat. After that all the buttons towards passenger seat are not responsive. I took it to the dealer same day and they fixed it on the same day by replacing the fuse. As soon as I got the car, I tried extending the seat and fuse blows up again. The dealer took it for 2 weeks, checks it and just returns it saying the faulty wire has been trimmed and advised me not to adjust the seat. They did not give me any permanent solution. When I contacted BMW customer service regarding this matter, I got the same response advising me not to adjust the seat. I was told that this is a very common issue. It had 24K miles when this happened. The issue is not resolved as of today.

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 142017

X1

The hands-free mechanism/actuator for opening and closing the tailgate (making a kicking motion with the foot) activates unintentionally when loading and unloading items from the rear storage area. On four (4) occasions while loading or unloading from the rear storage area, the open tailgate door has closed (without being intentionally activated by me) and come down onto my head. While there is a brief warning sound, the tailgate comes down very quickly on my head and does not stop when it makes contact with my head. Even when I am just standing with my foot near or under the rear bumper the tailgate closes on my head without me initiating the designed trigger mechanism (simulated kicking of the foot.). there are no "user settings" available to disable this automatic operation. While I am an adult, a young child could inadvertently activate the closing of the tailgate and there head/neck could be caught.

- Baltimore, MD, USA