1.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 BMW Z3:

Apr 032017

Z3

Rear subframe / trunk floor / differential mount failure

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 042012

Z3 6-cyl

I purchased car 6-4-12 after driving the car I noticed a squeak and a clunking noise coming from trunk, after removing trunk lining the spot welds [4] were broke loose in trunk floor from cross member where rear end is supported.. I took the car to dealer where car was bought hoping the dealer had a service bulletin on car I was told they would repair car at my expense I asked if that was an engineered repair or just a temporary repair there response was its the first time it had ever happened.. after searching the internet I found it was not the first time welds had come loose in the sub frame and if not repaired would cause major damage and possible control issues. This car is in excellent shape no rust issues at all was always garaged never driven in winter I believe the subframe and rear axle mounting is under designed for this car.

- Fort Morgan, CO, USA

Oct 042011

Z3 6-cyl

I heard a creaking from the rear of my car, I put it on jacks to check it out. To my surprise I found extensive damage to the floor pan mainly around the differential mount. The car is undrivable., but yet BMW will not take full responsibility for the matter. I see it as a safety issue as if I did not check it and continued to drive the cracks and tears in the body metal that exist could have continued even further and led to an accident or worse. I was estimated at a whopping 5200 dollars which BMW said they would only pay 3000 of. I believe it is a manufacturer defect, so it should be paid in fully by the company, but they will not stand up the their fault. I have at this time no choice but to drive the vehicle in its current state, there are cases of similar subframe problems popping up all over forums online. Enthusiasts of the Z3 will recognize this issue if they tediously and carefully inspect their cars, however the average person who just buys their car and drives it around has absolutely no idea of the problem at hand and the possible safety issue that it may lead up to if not taken care of properly.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 012000

Z3

The consumer states that there is vibration in the back wheels.

- Unknown, 00, USA