Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche:

May 282014

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving around the block as I had just jump started the dead battery. As I approached a stop the brakes were applied and the truck kept rolling as the brakes were spongy. As I applied more pressure the pedal hit the floor. I narrowly missed hitting a car coming from the side street. I coasted the truck home and there was fluid pouring from the lines just behind the ABS module. All the lines are severely rusted.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 232004

Avalanche 8-cyl

Emergency/parking brake parts worn out prematurely. Park brake hardly ever used but the vehicle failed state inspection due to inability to stop vehicle. I was told by several mechanics and owner's of similar vehicles that this is a design flaw and should be subject to recall.

- Seguin, TX, USA

Mar 032014

Avalanche 8-cyl

As I was approaching a stop light at approximately 25 mph I applied the brakes and the brake pedal suddenly went to the floor and I lost the brakes causing me to roll through the traffic light. Fortunately no one was coming through from the other direction. It was taken to my mechanic where he discovered that the rear brake lines were so corroded that they burst when the brakes were applied. Entire rear brake line system needed to be replaced at my expense.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Apr 022014

Avalanche 8-cyl

When approaching a stop light changing to red, brakes were applied moderately hard and the pedal went to the floor with severely reduced braking resulting in a stopping distance about 1 car length longer than normal. No brake warning light during this incident. I continued another mile to my destination with reduced braking. When the warning light appeared, the leak in a corroded line on top of the frame on the left side of the engine was apparent. I drove the vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer about 1 more mile for repairs.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jan 012012

Antilock brake lights came on...there was a recall for "salt" belt states, however, areas that get snow and roads are salted as well such as reno, nv, truckee, ca etc and other states that have similar conditions to those that were already included in the previous recall should have been included as well.... same problem, similar conditions. Why would my area not be included as well??

- Reno, NV, USA

Mar 262014

Avalanche 8-cyl

While driving thru a parking lot after picking up my lunch, the food began to fall which I took my eyes off driving to catch it. When I looked up I saw light pole in front of me and when I pushed my brakes, it felt like the pedal went straight to the floor. Its like I pushed so hard I overpowered the system. When I backed away from the pole the brakes felt fine. I hit the pole which in turn caused cosmetic damage along with breaking the steering box because the tire hit the cement base. Also we found the brake fluid level sensor had broken at the fluid reservoir.

- Laingsburg, MI, USA

Mar 082014

Avalanche 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the ABS engaged without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. There was a recall related to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic) and the contact's VIN was included in the recall however, the contact's state was not mentioned as one of the salt belt states that were eligible for repairs under the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Feb 142014

Avalanche 8-cyl

Slowed rapidly for a vehicle that pulled out in front of me. Brakes worked fine until speed dropped to 15 mph. Then brake peddle went to the floor and brake light flashed and warning chime sounded. Limped vehicle to dealership at closing time. Awaiting estimate and cause.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Nov 162013

Avalanche 8-cyl

The Avalanche is our tow vehicle (only) which is why it has so few miles for a 2002 model year vehicle. Normally it is towing a 9000 pound 28 foot toy hauler, but just by pure luck it was towing a single axle flat bed trailer with the cab for a 1935 Chevrolet pickup on it back from the body shop. I pulled into the driveway and tried to stop and there were no brakes. Tried to apply the parking brakes and the cable snapped. Stopped by driving up a hill into the grass. Took the Avalanche to the dealer where they told me the brake lines all had to be replaced and they were no longer available from the manufacturer. In the course of getting the brake lines out they found that the fuel lines were also leaking and had to be replaced. The total bill for repair was $2900, plus the vehicle was out of service for 6 weeks. Granted the vehicle is 12 years old, but I have a 1963 studebaker that still has solid brake and fuel lines. It is only by the grace of god that the Avalanche wasn't towing a 9000 pound 28 foot long trailer at 70 mph when the brakes failed. There was no warning light, no indication at all that there was a pending problem. Someone could have been killed. These vehicles need to be recalled, and I need to be reimbursed for the repairs.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jul 012012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the ABS engaged without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 150,000.

- Roebling, NJ, USA

Dec 312013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Brake pedal went to the floor, used emergency brake to stop. Found brake line under drivers door rusted through and gushing fluid.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 282013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Was driving on street from store to home when I noticed brake light on dash came on and then parked in driveway. My son went to use the truck the next day and when he pulled out of driveway to street, could barely stop. Subsequently discovered brake fluid on driveway. Checked brakeline and it was rusted completely with a hole in it. Car has been laid up and not drive-able. Rusting through the brakeline should not happen. This should be repaired under a recall.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Dec 272013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving on NY state thruway with wife and three small children. Women cut in front of me. I pushed on brakes and pedal went to floor. I swerved out of the way and went off the road. Luckily it happened near a clearing otherwise we would have hit something and been seriously hurt and/or killed. Turns out all of my brake line are rusted out and need replacement. Turns out GM used cheaper brake lines and not stainless steel ones.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 142012

Avalanche 8-cyl

1. first incident: 10/14/12. Catastrophic brakeline rupture due to corrosion near rear left tire resulting in complete loss of brakes 2. second incident: 10/19/13. Catastrophic brakeline rupture due to corrosion on side of frame near driver side door resulting in complete loss of brakes.

- Staffod, VA, USA

Oct 242013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Complete brake failure while towing a trailer, pedal right to the floor I'm lucky to be alive. No warning whatsoever brakes had been working fine before incident. Subsequent inspection revealed blown brake line below drivers door at frame rail and all lines look terrible. Online investigation shows this to be very common problem lets get this recall issued before anyone dies. The ability to stop is priority one there is nothing more important.

- Charlton, MA, USA

Oct 232013

Avalanche 8-cyl

When leaving the highway I applied the brakes and they immediately went to the floor, almost rear ending the truck ahead of me. I was able to limp the vehicle home using low gear and what I found out were the rear brakes. After getting home I looked underneath the front end and noticed brake fluid dripping from the front of the truck. The brake lines were horribly rusted. I can't believe in today's age that steel lines would be used when stainless lines are available. The entire brake line system will need replaced.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Oct 062013

When pulling into my driveway, the brakes pedal went all the way to the floor. I ran into my utility trailer, but no damage was caused. Avalanche is at the garage now, he informed me this is common with Chevy trucks. All brake lines need to be replaced and it will cost between $1000 and $1200.

- Reading, PA, USA

Sep 172013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Coming up to a traffic light at 45mph the light turned red, I stepped on the brake and it went to the floor. I pumped the brake and used the emergency brake to stop the truck but not it did not stop until I was through the intersection. Luckily there was no crash. The brake line to the rear brakes was blown do to corrosion. After inspecting all the brake lines all were heavily corroded. I replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel lines. After being under the truck for a few days I can see the fuel lines will be the next to change plus the frame and drive shafts look like they came up with the titanic. I really don't expect anything to come of this, as this my way of telling GM how disgusting I find there business model of maximum profit over safety. For a few dollars more for better material this could all have been avoided. If this was Toyota or Honda the news media would be all over it but because it's GM we here crickets.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Sep 212013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

While backing up to connect to a travel trailer brake pedal went to floor and fluid leak developed from underside truck. Limped truck to repair station and have been quoted a price of $1,300 to replace all brake lines. According to shop owner, all of the brake lines appeared to be compromised due to premature rust and were unsafe. Updated 1/15/2014

- Ossining, NY, USA

Sep 162013

Sitting at red light all of a sudden brakes seemed to let go car started to roll back a bit had to push brake pedal to the floor.

- Bath, ME, USA