Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche:

May 312016

Avalanche

TL takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact called vyletel Buick GMC (40755 van dyke ave, sterling heights, mi 48313, (586) 698-7530) and was informed that the parts were not available. The vehicle was not repaired because the contact was unable to import the vehicle to the United States. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Aug 222019

Avalanche

GM has not made parts available to complete this repair. Their website says the NHTSA is still reviewing the need, so no action on their part is planned. Please get GM to complete the repairs on their vehicles.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 012019

Avalanche

Takata recall: Received notice months ago that I would be notified when parts were available. No contact since. Did check with dealership and was told not parts available. This was over 2 years ago and still no notice. I am concerned because I now have a grandchild driving this vehicle. Is he safe??

- Moreauville, LA, USA

Jun 082016

Avalanche

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The vehicle was taken to nimnicht Chevrolet (located at 1550 cassat ave, jacksonville, fl 32210, (904) 638-7986) and was informed that the part was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

May 272016

Avalanche

Takata recall it is now April 23rd of 2019 and if I call a service department to get my recall taken care of they tell me they still don't have a solution. It has been 3yrs and still no solution?

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 022016

Avalanche

My 2009 Avalanche ltz has a dash that has cracked completely in half, plus is cracking on the airbag passenger surround. My concern other than shrapnel in the event the airbag deploys is loss of steering control when the dash pieces lodge themselves between the steering wheel while the vehicle is in motion. The dash has never been abused or damaged by the owner in any way, and this is clearly a manufacturer defect. Almost without exception I have noticed this defect in every truck of this type. Please have an agent contact me if additional information is necessary. My local dealer wants $1600 to repair their defect.

- Oxford, AL, USA

Jun 012016

Avalanche 8-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The contact received the recall notice in July of 2016. The dealer (cox Chevrolet, 2900 cortez rd w, bradenton, fl 34207) stated that the parts were not available for the repair. The manufacturer was also contacted and confirmed that the parts were not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 11/28/18

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Sep 042018

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. While the contact was making a left turn at an unknown speed, another vehicle crashed into the rear passenger door and wheel. The crash caused the axle to fracture on the contact's vehicle. The contact's child was in a booster seat and the rear passenger side air bag deployed, which trapped the child's head. The frontal air bags did not deploy. The contact's husband had to cut the air bag in order to free the child. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The dealer and the manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The insurance company had not determined if the vehicle was totaled. The cause of the air bag failure was not determined. The failure mileage was 78,000. The VIN was unknown.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jan 012016

Avalanche

Takata recall - manufacturer still has not allowed the replacement of the air bag.

- Miami Lakes, FL, USA

May 072018

Avalanche

Takata recall manufacturer has not resolved this recall. August 3017 was deadline for resolution. Should I even be operating this vehicle?

- Tracy, CA, USA

May 092016

Avalanche

Received a recall notice in 2016, but no parts have ever been made available by GM.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 012016

Takata recall

- Mountain Home, AR, USA

Mar 292018

Avalanche

Pulled out from the parking lot at work onto the road, after traveling approximately 100' the steering wheel airbag and side curtain airbags deployed. The truck did not hit anything nor was it hit by anything.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

May 262016

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact called a local dealer (rosner Chevrolet, 800 S harbor city blvd, melbourne fl 32901) and was informed that the parts were not available. The manufacturer was notified and opened case number: 8-37066722500. No further assistance was provided. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

May 012017

Takata recall

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Oct 232017

Avalanche

Takata recall. I was told by the authorized GM dealership that the recall for my vehicle was for the passenger side airbag, but they cannot fix the problem because General Motors has not released instructions to remedy the problem. They advised me to wait until I received further notification. I received a notice saying that takata had filed for bankruptcy and I needed to immediately schedule a repair with an authorized dealer.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Oct 212017

Avalanche

Takata recall I received a notice in the mail today of a pending bankruptcy for taquita and my airbags are on the list to be remedied but nobody has a remedy yet I don't know what to do next

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Avalanche

Takata recall GM recall 49151 for faulty airbags is unable to be performed N my vehicle at dealership due to parts being unavailable in the foreseeable future! I've attempted to make an appointment every 3-4 months since April 2016 with no avail. Recall notice was received by me July 2016! I've been told that there are no parts available to be had or ordered in the foreseeable future. I want it done!

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Jan 052017

Avalanche

My dash cracked right by the airbag and has caused my airbag warning light to come on. Now my airbag warning light toggles between on and off. My dash continues to fall apart even with a dash mat covering it. I don't know if my airbag will deploy if needed. Plus I worry about shards of plastic hurting me or my family. GM needs to do something. I don't know the exact day the crack showed up but I notice it in January 2017 while getting a stuffed animal out of the truck. Over the past months, the cracks have gotten worse to the point there is a hole in the dash from the shaking while I driving and nothing being secure.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Nov 302016

Avalanche

Dash cracked from passenger air bag to vent. Danger if air bag is deployed dash could defrag and become dangerous projectiles.

- Crestview, FL, USA