Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt:

Apr 012019

Cobalt

Fuel return line leak 108,000 miles all the sudden the clip gave out under driver's side door full tank leaked out no warning ignition spark caused fire

- Westport, CT, USA

Nov 212018

Cobalt

My 2005 Chevy Cobalt with 117000 miles has a fuel leak coming from the gas tank area. My research shows that this common problem with the Cobalt. So much so that GM has a bulletin to make repairs for years 2006-2009. Why is the 2005 not covered? its the same vehicle with the same safety issue. Gas is leaking while the car is in motion while driver is unaware.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Apr 122018

Cobalt

Car has a gas leak and a recall is in place in certain states for 2006 and 2007 but not 2005 and not in all states. My 2005 has a gas leak and uses the same parts as the 2006 so the 2005 needs recalled too in all states.

- Auburn, IN, USA

Feb 222018

Cobalt

The fuel line rust out and leaks gas. This is a very dangerous situation but apparently not covered by recall 12V459000. This gas leak should defiantly included in that recall. My car is driven by a teenager and he did not notice the leak until I saw it. The repairs were over $800. This happened to both of our Chevy Cobalts in the same week.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jul 012017

Cobalt

While driving the car began to smell like gas. I got our and looked and the car was leaking gas profusely. Come to find out the gas line had rusted completely out.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Oct 012017

Cobalt

Fuel odor and spotting of fuel when the vehicle is parked

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Oct 012016

Cobalt

Our vehicle is leaking gasoline and is exhibiting the same symptoms as those addressed in this recall NHTSA campaign #09V419000 but Chevrolet says that it doesn't cover the 2005 model and we believe it should since it is the same problem.

- Estero, FL, USA

Nov 162016

Cobalt

The check engine light come on showing the gas tank has leak in the line when checked by shop they replaced lines but check engine light still comes

- Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 082016

Cobalt

Lines leaking rusted with holes....should have been coated and not exposed to weather

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Oct 042016

Cobalt

I have notice a fuel leakage from the drivers side of my car by the exhaust between the claps its leaking fuel I took it to my mechanic he said it will cost $450 dollars to fix I don't have that type of money I looked on line and found out that these Cobalt has a recall on the fuel tanks and lines I need you to its not the its the dangerous to drive it I wouldn't drive its on the street and it drips quarter of fuel on the ground

- Lansing, IL, USA

Aug 282016

Cobalt

Vehicle leaking fuel from fuel line at clamp, underneath driver side in front of back tire. Worse upon start and stopping.

- Deptford, NJ, USA

Jun 012016

Cobalt

Leaking fuel on driver side under back seat. This is happening while driving and when the car is in park.

- Bridgeton, NJ, USA

Jul 012016

Cobalt

Fuel leaking from fuel lines leaving fuel pump at gas tank. Strong odor of fuel inside and outside of car. Leaves wet spot on ground under car near passenger side rear wheel about 18 inches in diameter while parked. Hard starting. Contacted Chevrolet and a dealer and they said it was not covered on a recall.

- Asbury, IA, USA

Apr 042016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the contact noticed fuel fumes emitting from the inner part of the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after some time. The check engine warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the exhaust, oxygen sensor, thermostat and other unknown parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure persisted as the contact noticed fuel leaking from underneath the rear of the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 312016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. When the ignition was turned to the on position and moved 10 feet, the contact observed fuel pouring from the rear driver side of the vehicle. The contact parked the vehicle, placed her hand under the vehicle, and felt fuel pouring out. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,220.

- Warren, PA, USA

Jan 272016

Cobalt

My car is leaking fuel at the gas tank. GM recalled the 2006 Cobalts but mine is a 2005. My car could explode and gas in our public water system is a huge concern. This car is a lemon!! I have extreme anxiety of dying in this car. I need someone to get GM to recall my car asap before I die!! I cant afford to fix it.

- Milwaukie, OR, USA

Apr 152015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle had a fuel odor and the contact noticed fuel leaking under the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 02/10/16 updated 04/30/18

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 122015

Cobalt

Cobalt is leaking fuel behind the rear driver side wheel. Leak was noticed when vehicle was parked fuel is visibly dripping and the smell of fuel outside of vehicle is strong. Fuel can also be smelled in the vehicle as well.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Oct 282015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a fuel odor and a leak coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 125,589.

- Logan, OH, USA

Aug 012015

Cobalt

My car turns off in the middle of driving. Three times I have been on 45 mph roads, and have 2 small kids. This isn't the only major issue my car. But first the digital display reads engine disabled or engine losing power then engine disabled and loses all function. There was a recall over a year ago for this model shutting off while driving supposedly due to weight on the key ring. After the dealer fixed it the issue stopped until 3 mnths ago. I can only go a block before the engine disables now, it progressively happened sooner and sooner. A friend who is old buddies with a diagnostics specialist introduced me and he was able to tell me exactly what was going on to fine details. I called the dealership to see about any recalls and relayed the info he'd given me and they down played it like they guy didn't know what he was talking about. The dealer thinks its a throttle or engine problem. The guy I know said the computer chip in the key likely got messed up possibly from having my cell phone next to it a lot, that the part in the ignition that reads the signal from the key is getting mixed info and signals the engine to shut down. He also said that once it happens, a loop is created to where every time I turn they key it starts the cycle over where everything is okay in the beginning but the info gets misread over N over which is why he said I should get a new key- and (I think this is what he said) to replace to whole ignition column so all parts involved would be new. He also gets his parts wholesale and is not trying to rip me off. Next problem car burns oil! the last two times I had oil checked, nothing on the dipstick, I get it done every 3000miles. Walmart made me sign a paper stating there was no oil on dipstick. Gas line corroded, smell of gas throughout car, has whole piece replaced. These are serious why is Chevrolet doing nothing bad business

- Lexington, KY, USA