Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

Oct 182015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle did not start and the key did not eject from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Katy, TX, USA

Sep 022015

Cobalt

Automatic locking doors started unlocking and locking while I was driving vehicle(very scary). W/65,000 miles on this vehicle and having taken it to several repair places(one of which didn't even bother to make the change oil soon light go away after an oil change), I am now questionning the integrity of the repair guys. This will not make me a popular customer. Suggestions, please"??"

- Whitefish Bay, WI, USA

Aug 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning and the vehicle stalled. Consequently, the consumer crashed into a tree and the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The contact was not aware of the diagnosis. The vehicle was repaired. The vehicle was later repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering), but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000. MA 10/5

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 162015

Cobalt 4-cyl

My speedometer RPM and gas gauge started going up and down erratically I lost power steering. I had no idea what my speed was because the speedometer was inaccurate. This was a very unsafe situation to be in as I live in Colorado and we get snow and ice.

- Loveland, CO, USA

May 232014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer had car taken in repair shop to fix power steering problem ignition switch and the dealer kept the vehicle for three months. Each time the consumer called to inquire about the vehicle, she was informed they were waiting on the parts. When the vehicle was returned to the consumer, the turn signals and air condition were not working properly.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jan 062012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Letter to the president requesting an investigation into the possible cover up by General Motors regarding an ignition switch defect. The consumer stated her son was killed in an accident. The consumer stated her son had several keys on his key chain. The keys began to swing back and forth which caused the vehicle to shut off. Her son lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree.

- Brodnax, VA, USA

Sep 012014

Cobalt

The contact own a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated the vehicle experienced numerous failures. The rack and pinion had to be replaced, the window motors were replaced six times, and the ignition was replaced. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the failures were repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the two doors unlocked independently. The contact did not specify which two doors experienced the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bonham, TX, USA

Sep 042014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and believed the failure was related to the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,876.

- Mount Pleasant , PA, USA

Dec 292014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My electronic power steering is cutting in and out at random time intervals. Called the dealer to see if my Cobalt was part of the affected recall on the power steering and was informed that they will not cover the repair for my car under that recall.

- Hemlock, NY, USA

Dec 272014

Cobalt

The dic shows the reading of each tire pressure backwards, for example right front wheel is actually the rear right wheel, and left front is actually rear front. Also I am unable to use the cruise control. The lights turns on but the car does not engage in the same speed for the cruise control.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Nov 182014

Cobalt

My 2009 Chevy Cobalt is part of the recall affecting the ignition system, I have waited for months for the part to become available and finally received a notice stating the local dealership had the part. I contacted them to set up a date to drop it off only to be informed that they did not have the part. According to GM's CEO the parts would all be available by the end of October. I feel like I am getting a huge run around from GM in getting this vehicle repaired and need some help getting this finally handled.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Nov 032014

Cobalt

I have received a recall on my car that I did get fixed and after the fact my car key was locked in the ignition twice after this service was completed.. I really don't want a Chevy any longer.. have had to may problems.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 212014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was on my way home and it was raining on the expressway but by the time I got to the city I live it had stop. I was exiting the expressway and was turning a left on the street I live on. I had made my turn at about 30 mph and after I had made my turn the car was straight for awhile then all the sudden the car acted up and the steering wheel or the wheels or something happen that made my car make a sharp U-turn going in front of ongoing traffic. My car went straight in front of a car and she didn't have time to stop so she hit me and we both went onto the island. I have no idea what happened but luckily we were both going slow that none of us were hurt but our cars were in bad conditions. I'm looking at 3,000 damage on my car, and probably 4,000 damage to her car. I want to say it was bc of the rain, but the road wasn't wet and I just got new tires and just got a oil change. I maintain my car very well so I have no idea why that would happen.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Sep 272014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key failed to turn in the ignition, preventing the vehicle from starting. The contact stated the vehicle was serviced under recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system). Both the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Evans , GA, USA

Sep 222014

Cobalt

Vehicle would not start, took it to dealership for service, and was told it was the fuel pump. 2 hours later, got a call that the module harness had to be replaced also because the connection it made to the fuel pump had burned out and fused itself to the fuel pump. The service tech stated this was a very unsafe situation, due to the fact that the exposed electrical connection inside the fuel tank had melted, and if we had been low on fuel, there could have been a fire.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Sep 152014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and 14V171000 (electrical system). The parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Aug 292014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have already had the recall service performed on my 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt, but the ignition switch problem still persists after having the recall service performed. There's the possibility that a safety hazard to the american public still exists if there are cases similar to mine. The vehicle ignition was inadvertently switched to the "off" position while I was getting onto a highway. I was shifting my hips to adjust my seating position, and my knee bumped into my keychain and caused the ignition to switch to the "off" position. I lost speed control and power steering, but I was luckily able to move to the shoulder of the highway, shift into "park", and re-start the vehicle. This event happened within 48 hours of me having the recall service performed at a Chevrolet dealership.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 302014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system), but the failure was not remedied. The dealer replaced the ignition switch and provided the contact with a new set of keys. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle jerked and stalled. The check engine and service traction indicators illuminated during the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Feb 122014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- San Antonio, TX, USA