Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

Jul 242014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall. The consumer stated the ignition would not turn off and the key could not be removed. It was determined the ignition switch needed to be replaced. However, the parts were not available.

- Sackets Harbor, NY, USA

Jul 182014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced intermittent electrical shorts and the temperature controls and power windows failed to work properly. The contact was unable to use the controls for the air conditioner and heater. In addition, the contact was unable to start the vehicle on several occasions. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the fuel pump and sending unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,800.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Jun 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Calexico, CA, USA

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the engine was running while the key was out of the ignition, the vehicle was in park and the vehicle rolled away. The contact had received two notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000(steering) however, the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Burton, SC, USA

Jun 102014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle ignition switch recall issues. The consumer received a recall notice and took the vehicle to the dealer as directed. The dealer informed her, the original key fob was broken and she would need to purchase a new for 4120 and pay $45 to have it re-programmed. The consumer stated the dealer damaged the steering post, when they replaced the ignition switch.

- Onawa, IA, USA

Aug 112014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received recall notices for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and 14V171000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Unionville, CT, USA

May 032014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (ignition switch) however, the part was not available to repair the vehicle under the recall. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Silva, NC, USA

May 262014

Cobalt 4-cyl

GM dealer was contacted with recall information on this vehicle in last week of May 2014. We were advised that the part would be ordered, we would be put on a waiting list, and then called when the repair was scheduled. Two months have now passed with no idea from the dealer when parts will arrive or when this safety issue will be corrected. I feel like I am sitting on a ticking time bomb every time I drive this car and that GM isn't really that concerned with this safety issue. What's more important to me is that this is my daughter's car and my safety with this vehicle is not near as important at that of one I love very dearly. It is really unacceptable that GM would drag their feet on this safety issue and not be responsive in the determination of when this ignition recall will be fixed.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Mar 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number:14E021000 (ignition switch) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Groveport , OH, USA

Jul 182014

Cobalt

I bought the car used with approx. 43,000 miles in 2010, and paid for extended warranty, but didn't test all functions of power windows, only the driver side window worked. I was unaware of this for months because I seldom have others in my car. On July 18th 2014, the drivers window would not work. I had complained about the other windows, but though I might have problems with safety locks.I had already called about the recall that I saw on tv, and was told that part was not at dealers, and would be called when they got the parts. I was told I would be charged for any repairs to windows as my extra warranty had expired. I thought warranty was for 90,000 miles, I did talk to manager, and told him I had C/O numerous times about the 3 non working windows.at the same time drivers window quit, the light on odometer quit working.I did have car to jump, and keep running after turning off car, they did fix with ignition kit. Continued to call to see if recalled part was in and was told I could pay for exam on windows on windows at the same time.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jun 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I could not remove the key from the ignition when the ignition was not on the "off" position. I took the car to carmax and they told me it was a recall from Chevrolet. Chevrolet fixed it, but years after the fact Chevrolet contacted me again saying that the parts that they replaced were used parts that I need it to take it back to the dealer. I called again my closest Chevrolet ( van Chevrolet kcmo) dealer and I was told that the parts need to be order and that it may take up to 2 months. Meanwhile now there is another problem in the car the theft lock system got turn on by itself. My car does not want to start normally. I called the dealer and they said that they are going to wait until the other part shows up to fix it. This is very frustrating and Chevrolet do not care about people's safety. Why are they taking so long to fix the recall on my car? I am almost sure that the computer system in the car has big problems too. Help please.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 262014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While I was driving down my street, my car started shaking & my engine, oil & traction service lights came on. The engine service power detector came on my dashboard. I had to miss work & called the dealership & informed the mechanic of the problem. He asked me to drive it in. I informed him that I didn't feel safe driving on the streets or the highway. The mechanic offered for me to use their towing company but they charge. I informed them that I have towing service. The car was towed that day & on Friday, I received a call; while I was at work from the mechanic stating that they checked the car out & the front throttle body had to be replaced due to a sensor being faulty. The cost of repairs would be $575. I just purchased this car on 4/19/14 from jim trenary in O'fallon mo & 3 weeks later, I had to have it towed to the dealership for the accelerator pedal failing. The dealership did pay for that expense but not this one because the electrical problem isn't covered under the power train warranty. I feel like they are trying to get over on me because I am a woman & don't know much about cars. I called to see if they could try to fix it for less but was informed that the throttle body needed to be replaced in order for the sensor to be put in. I have to still pay the note every month on a vehicle that was assured at the time of the sale was safe & would have any problems because it was taken care of including the replacement of the power switch ignition. I sent a text to my salesman asking to be put in another vehicle but to my dismay, he informed me that I can't trade out of my vehicle for 18-24 months. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay the $575 & the mechanic is trying to get over because I am a woman. I informed the mechanic that I can't afford to pay the $575 because I don't make that much & have other bills to take care of. I bought that car for reliability.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Apr 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V171000 (electrical system) and 14E021000 (aftermarket replacement ignition switch). The parts for the repairs were unavailable and the dealer stated that the parts would arrive within six to eight weeks. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). However, the part to do the repairs was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Moore, OK, USA

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notification under NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) however, the part to do the repairs was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Moore, OK, USA

Aug 082013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure occurred immediately after the vehicle was serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bag, electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Clarksville, IN, USA

Jun 202014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contacts VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical system). The contact was informed that it would take 6-8 weeks for parts to become available and the contact was concerned of the safety risks involved in the defect that could not be immediately resolved. There were no failures. Updated 08/19/14 updated 08/23/2017

- Pikeville, KY, USA

Jun 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to recall notice problems. The consumer stated the dealer kept telling him, it would be a few more weeks. The parts are still not available. Updated 09/24/14.

- Champlin, MN, USA

Feb 172014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received the notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact stated that the repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated parts were not available. Contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer has not been contacted. Pam

- Madison , IN, USA