Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

Feb 012012

Cobalt

Ignition switch. Could not turn off engine. Could take key out in any gear but wouldn't turn off engine. Had to pull fuse out to get it off. For 79,732 miles I think this is a hazard.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Sep 012011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The key will not turn in the ignition cylinder. Therefore the car will not turn off. There is a special bulletin #10256 about this exact problem including only the 2009 Cobalt however as there is not an open recall the manufacturer will not repair my car because my car has a branded title and they will only repair 'open recall' items. This issue is not listed in the global database when my VIN is searched but it needs to be listed under my VIN and there needs to be an open recall on this issue because it is certainly a huge safety problem that many owners have been experiencing. The only way to turn the car off is to get under the hood and remove the fuel relay fuse. In case of a fire this would be a catastrophic safety issue which could result in serious injury or even death.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 272011

Cobalt 4-cyl

During July I had to have my 2009 Chevy Cobalt towed into a repair shop because I couldn't turn my key in the ignition. I had to have the ignition cylinder replaced which cost me over $200. Now in November 2011, 4 months later, my car is having the same problems. There hasn't been a recall yet on this and multiple people are having the same issues. This is getting ridiculous.

- Maryville, MO, USA

Oct 202011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Key is stuck in the lock cylinder. Can not turn off car. This is an extreme safety hazard. Electro-mechanical release mechanism interlocked with gear shifter appears to be working correctly (inside bottom of steering column). The key is physically stuck in the ignition lock cylinder, so the car can not be turned off. Quick search on the web reveals dozens of the same complaint on Cobalt models at least back to 2005.

- Burnet, TX, USA

Aug 292011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the ignition key would fail to shut the vehicle off and the key could not be remove from ignition switch with the vehicle running. The contact had to remove the fuel pump relay to shut off the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where the dealer advised that the entire steering column needed to be replaced due to the key being stuck in the ignition switch. The failure mileage was 16,000.

- Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

Sep 092011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The first occurrence was on 9/9/2011 at 7:30 am in the morning. The vehicle would not start. The second occurrence was on 9/9/10 at 5:00 P.M. the vehicle started and when arriving at designated location the vehicle would not stop in park. The engine continued to run, unable to take key out of ignition, the vehicle when put into other gears was able to drive. We attempted to get the engine to stop and get the key out of the ignition but we failed to do so for a lengthy period of time. The battery had to be disconnected with the engine running. This decision was made after no other alternatives could be made to shut off the vehicle. This was a dangerous situation and could have cause electrical burns or other issues while doing this.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 282011

Cobalt

Issue: My ignition key will not turn once inside the ignition, preventing my car from starting. Dealership: Will charge for replacing and cylinder, housing and key if vehicle exceeds bumper-to-bumper warranty (36,000 miles or ~2 years, whichever comes first). Cost including labor is $797 + tax! number of occurrences: 2 safety: Depending on where you last park your car, you can be stranded anywhere! tip: I have learned from the tow company that this is the most frequent problem from these Chevy vehicles and that many people have had this problem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 292011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that he was unable to power the vehicle off and the engine remained running. The dealer informed the contact that the vehicle had not been included in any recalls. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current and failure mileages were 38,000.

- Evansville, IN, USA

May 102011

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have a big issue about the odometer reading on my Cobalt. I have made several complaints to the dealership. I bought my car 7/29/09 and it now has 59,740 miles on it. This is only an in town car. I bought tires in 3/11 and the tire place last week said I put over 12,000 miles since then. This is no way possible. They say they have tested it and there is no problems. I have not change my driving habits since I bought this car. The car I had before this had a regular odometer and not the digital. The car was 1997 and it had 155,000 and I drove out of town a lot. By the end of the year I won't have a power train warranty anymore. There is just no way in hell this is correct and I have heard others say the same. Someone needs to step up to this issue.. this looks like a way for the manufactures to get out of warranties.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 072011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key was removed from the ignitin yet the engine continued to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the engine lock cylinder would need replacing and that there were no recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was contacted who stated they will contact the dealer and check on the failure. The failure mileage was 39,900. The VIN was not available.

- Carneige, PA, USA

Jul 282011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shut off when it was in park and turned off. The key broke inside the ignition when the contact attempted to pull it out. The dealer and manufacturer denied any assistance with repairs to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Dixon, CA, USA

Jun 102011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated the key would not turn off the ignition. The contact had to disconnect the rally for the fuel injectors in order for the vehicle to be shut off. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer advised that the ignition switch lock cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that vehicle would drift from left to right when driving at least 60 mph. The vehicle was not inspected for the drifting failure. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

May 282011

Cobalt

I went to shut off my car Saturday night, May 28th and was unable to remove key had to remove battery cable to shut car off. Dealer familiar with problem. Apparently at least 200$ solution. This has happened to other folks also.

- Gays Mills, WI, USA

Cobalt

Could not shut car off when parked. The key would not move lock to shut car off. Could move key forward (to start), but could not move to off. Immediately drove car to dealer. Dealer told me they had to disconnect battery (while the car was running) to shut of the car then proceeded to replace the ignition cylinder. The remarks on dealer repair invoice were " replaced ignition cylinder due to the key getting stuck in the housing and the cylinder blowing up". note that I consider not being able to shut off a running car extremely unsafe! in case something happens like throttle sticking etc. (don't know if there is any history of throttle sticking on this model yet). Also, generally it is bad practise to disconnect the battery cable on a running engine. This may affect the computer (future safety issue? or future expensive electrical system repairs). Does GM condone this practise at their dealers? dealer used my extended warranty and charged $106 for the deductible to fix this safety item. I found similar 2009 Cobalt ignition issues on your NHTSA website, ref. ODI id's 10364046, 10368042, 10361530, 10394051

Jan 312011

Cobalt

The battery continues to die and it causes the default factory alarm to lock the car. The keys are always getting stuck in the ignition. Right now im locked out the vehicle. The extra key can't unlock the doors (cant override the alarm lock).

- West Memphsi, AR, USA

Nov 062010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving home from work stopped at store, tried to turn my vehicle off, the key got stuck in the ignition and wouldn't come out. Drove the car home, had to leave the car running until the tow truck came. The tow truck man informed me that this has been a problem with 2010 Cobalts and that he has had to tow many of them away. The car was towed to a dealership, still at the dealership, been there for almost two weeks. Was quoted a an outrageous price to fix the problem.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Nov 082010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact attempted to park and shut the vehicle off but the key could not be removed from the ignition. A mechanic arrived to disconnect the engine. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who was diagnosing the problem. The current and failure mileages were approximately 54,100. The VIN was unavailable.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Sep 212010

Cobalt

2009 Chevy Cobalt. Over past 6 months, on a couple of occasions: Ignition switch would not turn off. I had to select ign switch on/off several times before engine would switch off and I could remove key. Sept 21 parked at hotel to check in. Returned to car- started normally. I parked car at room ignition switch would not turn off. Key jammed in ignition. I had to disconnect battery to shut off car. Upon return home car taken to dealer-ignition switch, collar and key removed/replaced. Dealer service mgr stated had several of these and mechanic familiar with replacement. I had a 2006 Chevy Cobalt that ign switch started to do same thing, but car was total loss accident before I could take to dealer. I think this is a fire/safety defect.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA