8.8

$3,870

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (8 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

Aug 092017

Cruze LTZ 1.4L Turbo

Transmission died on a busy highway, right after the warranty ended. Had to get it completely rebuilt at my expense. Huge repair bill. Thanks Chevy!

- Jennifer M., Liberty Township, US

Mar 062018

Cruze

I WAS DRIVING TO WORK WHEN I WAS ABOUT A HALF A MILE AWAY THE TRANSMISSION STARTED SLIPPING. THERE WAS NO EARLY WARNING SIGNS EXCEPT FOR THIS. I PARKED THE CAR AND WENT INSIDE MY WORK. WHEN I ATTEMPTED TO LEAVE THE CAR WOULD SHIFT INTO REVERSE BUT IT ROLLED A COUPLE INCHES AND FELT LIKE IT HIT A PARKING BLOCK. IT WILL DRIVE FORWARD BUT WILL NOT DO REVERSE OR NEUTRAL.

I HAD IT TOWED TO A SHOP AND WHEN THEY PULLED THE TRANSMISSION COVER OFF THE GEARS FELL OUT AND THE FLUID WAS A METALLIC COLOR. I HAVE GOTTEN TWO QUOTES SO FAR. 1 FOR $3200 and 1 for $2500. NEITHER OF WHICH IN A POSITION TO PAY. THE CAR ONLY HAS 80,000 MILES ON IT. I DON'T DRIVE IT ALL CRAZY AND I DESPERATELY NEED MY CAR EVERY DAY TO GET TO APPOINTMENTS AND WORK. THIS IS A HUGE INCONVENIENCE FOR ME. I DON'T EVEN HAVE THE MEANS TO OBTAIN A RENTAL CAR. I STILL OWE $15,000 ON THIS CAR!! I AM BEYOND SICK TO MY STOMACH OVER THIS!!!

- Michele C., Washington, US

Dec 162017

Cruze 1.8L

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze in November 2012 with 12 miles on it. It is now 2018 and my 2012 Chevy Cruze is not working due to a transmission issue. My car broke down on December 16th with 61,248 miles on it. The sad part is my warranty expired on November 17, 2017, less than 30 days out of warranty and my car is out of commission. I would think that my car would have lasted at least 100,000 miles before having a major issue with my transmission. So, I contacted GMC to get assistance with the cost of me getting my car repaired. Well, 3 weeks later no assistance. The car dealer wanted me to pay money upfront, so that they could break down my transmission to diagnose my car. Really, and loose more money on a vehicle that you would think would still be on the road. I purchased the car because I trusted that is was a good car. I have taken my car in to the dealer for all of my services.

- Tina J., Ames, US

Nov 072017

Cruze LX 1.4L

Had problems with my Cruze shifting hard and clunking when driving. Had it pop out of gear when trying to shift into second and then slammed back in to first. I took the car into a Chevrolet dealer under warranty to have it looked at and fixed. The dealer said they were not able to find any issues and that I should run it until it has a permanent failure so they can find the issue. Now the transmission has completely failed two months later but I am also out of warranty by date by a month. I am still 5k under warranty but my transmission has somehow failed. This really speaks to what kind of quality GM puts in their products. The car was given good care and had regular tune ups but still an incredibly vital part to the car has now failed and the dealer and GM are refusing to pay for it even though I had tried to avoid this issue by bringing it in to get it fixed while under warranty. Now I am having to pay 4 grand for the dealer's servicemen's inexperience and GM's poor product quality. This is a failure on the product quality level and on the customer service level. Will not be buying any GM products and will warn others about what could happen to them.

- Aaron D., Bloomington, IN, US

Aug 252017

Cruze

My car was towed in to the dealership as I thought there was a recall on the surging of the transmission but found out there wasn't. The car was 1875 miles out of my extended warranty. I contacted GM via email after the repair as I have never had a car have such a major repair at this low of mileage. They said they were going to try to get reimbursement and contacted the dealership. After many phone calls between the dealership and GM GM said that it was out of warranty so there would be no cost reimbursement (I told them it was 1875 miles out of warranty in the beginning so I still do not know why they led me to believe that it was an option). Then the dealership said they would see if there could be some cost assistance. Long story short after many, many phone calls it was resolved yesterday, October 18, and neither one helped me. I found out that if I would of asked for cost assistance prior to the repair then I might have gotten help. I asked why was this not offered and the dealer's reply was " it is not something we offer, you would have to know about it". Needless to say, I will never buy a GM product again nor will I buy a car at that dealership either and am looking at foreign cars for the first time in my life.

- Cathy D., Arnold, US

Jul 072017

Cruze LS V6

car broke down and had to be towed to our regular mechanic. this was beyond his expertise and car was towed to transmission company in lakewood. it was there over a week and eventually had to go back again. we are now experiencing gas smell in the car. The warranty had just expired feb, of this year. i was never notified of this expiring. i contacted GM, they state there will be no reimbursement . It was stated i could have taken it to a certified GM dealer at the time to see if they might cover it but could not incur any more towing costs with just a chance it might be covered, or be most likely harassed into purchasing a new vehicle instead. one area of their customer service said they could not email or provide any document stating they were refusing to have any reimbursement. i was told i would now have to wait to see if a recall ever comes out on this transmission to which i could then submit my bill for reimbursement. i have found articles regarding an issue with the transmission that was never fixed on the 2012 model. i mailed a letter to the CEO of GM Mary Barra, to which i received no response. everyone we have talked to said a transmission with this mileage should never have completely failed as this did. Very disappointed with our "american" made car. we will be looking to switch to other companies for new vehicles after this experience

- millhie2, Freehold, US

Aug 202017

Cruze 1.8L

Car had just over 75,000 miles warranty had just expired. no assistance or help from dealer ship or company Transmission failed completely dealer ship offered for us to take out a loan from capital one bank in order to get car repaired. I only have about 5 more payments to make on this car. The loan does not cover the price of the repairs. In order to get this car repaired I would have to take out two loans to have it repaired. I thought the Chevrolet company stood by his products. I wouldn't buy another Chevy or recommend this company to any one or buy another GMC product.

Donald Brown

- Wanda B., memphis, US

Apr 062017

• CVT transmission

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze with just around 50,000 miles on it, and I need a new transmission!!! I was told by two dealerships, the one I bought it from and another, that the weird shifting problem was "a characteristic of the 2012" and could not be fixed. Well, it's getting fixed NOW! I am BEYOND livid!!!

Besides the shifting issues that the car is known for, about a month ago, it started to shudder; almost like it was going to stall when idling, and the headlights would dim. I brought it to a local mechanic who pulled codes off the computer and said it looked like the intake valve on the manifold. But, he cleared the codes, so I had to drive around for a couple of weeks. Now, the Chevy dealer is telling me I need a new tranny, and OF COURSE, it's no longer covered under warranty!

I am beyond upset at this, and I've written to both Chevy and GM. I wish I had some recourse!

- J F., Woodcliff Lake, US

Aug 232015

Cruze ECO

This is 2nd transmission for this car. original transmission failed completely in April 2013 & had to be replaced. Since then, car STILL has had numerous issues with transmission . . not shifting properly, not going into gear, no pickup when IN gear.

Early morning of August 23rd, transmission completely failed while driving on I-55 coming out of downtown Chicago. Experienced difficulty in shifting; clutch pedal would not release after being depressed. Engine started whining, car quickly bgean to slow down. Attempts to shift to any gear failed; clutch pedal went to floor & stayed there. Engine began to smoke.

Am currently waiting for car to be towed to dealer. Car is still under warranty (for another month); has only 14,500 miles on it, and this is 2ND time transmission has failed. I consider this car to be a lemon; certainly a defective product. I will never consider another GM product.

Update from Oct 7, 2015: At first, the Dealer & GM insisted the car was out of warranty, even though based on my paperwork, I had a month to go. They never gave up on this line, but agreed to a "one-time" fix as a show of "goodwill" . . . .

Dealer disassembled the transmission, said that the clutch pressure plate was completely shot (had basically disintegrated). This was, according to them "normal wear-and-tear". Now . . . the ORIGINAL transmission failed with the same issue . . THIS transmission failed after 12,000 miles in just over 2 years. The last manual transmission car I had, a Charger, had over 100,000 miles on it with no problems.

While the Dealer DID fix the car, I maintained that a second failure of this part in such a short time frame indicated a poorly-manufactured transmission, bad part, or both.

Since getting the car back it has been driven sparingly. The transmission STILL does not work properly; it's very difficult to shift in the lower gears. I can't wait to get rid of this thing; unfortunately I still have 2-1/2 years worth of payments to make . .

- Thomas D., Bridgeview, IL, USA

Dec 022014

Cruze LS 1.8L I4

The transmission began hissing when the clutch was let out (only quiet when clutch pedal was pressed in). Also, in reverse, first, and fifth gears, the shifter would violently shake.

- Joseph S., Campbell, OH, USA