7.4

$0

Most common solutions:

1. replaced 4 pistons (4 reports)
  2. new engine (2 reports)
  4. replace piston (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Aug 312018

Cruze LT 1.4L

Engine started to misfire, stabilitrac came on, service engine light came on, towed to dealer, had a cracked piston #1 cylinder. Dealer installed complete new motor assy and updated software that had a issue. Dealer service advisor was awesome. Very satisfied with all that was done.(I am a licensed master auto and truck mechanic with Journeyman card, now retired)

- camarossbob, Clarkston, US

Aug 022018

Cruze LS

This is not my first new car, but is my first Chevrolet. What I can't imagine is that a 2017 with 25,000 miles is at the dealer with pistons problems. The problem started on 8/2 getting out work with the service stabilitrak message and the check engine light. The car started trembling and hardly accelerating at traffic lights. Next day I took it to the dealer. As I was getting to the dealer I definitely made an entrance with the all the white smoke coming out of the car. 5 days later I still don't have my car. I had to call multiple times to find out what was going on. At least apparently it's cover under the insurance.

- krystalpr27, Pico Rivera, US

Jul 142018

Cruze Hatchback 1.4L

Called Chevy and they refuse to replace engine or replace all pistons, unless they show signs of cracks. They know all about the issues.

- Mark C., Wheaton, US

Jul 042018

Cruze LT V4

Engine light came on today. Will go to Autozone tomorrow to find out the code. Then back to dealer.

Update from Jul 22, 2018: after going to auto zone and getting codes... I precededed to pop hood and when dealership did my oil change they never plugged the plug back in on top after changing air filter. I called I explain and they apologize and was going to speak to the person. I would of been leary of bringing it back to them for something so simple and might have gotten charged for something else. So my soloution is fixed.

- Nanci P., Pomona, NY, US

May 232018

Cruze 1.4L

Car sputtered and Service Stabilitrak light came on. Check Engine light came on. Took it in and they had to replace all the pistons!

Car was in the shop from May 23, 2018 - June 4, 2018.

- lejean, El Cajon, US

May 122018

Cruze LT 1.4L

I purchased my Cruze a 10k with a rebuilt title due to airbags deploying. Right at 15k my car started sputtering and stalling while trying to pull onto the highway, "service stabilitrak" light came on, then shortly after check engine light with a cylinder one misfire. Due to the rebuilt title Chevy will not cover the problem and wants to charge me $3500 for 4 new piston install, even thought this is a very common problem.

- kbowling, Bethel, US

Mar 272018

Cruze LT 4 cyl

Beyond ridiculous to have a new car and already have such a big problem with it. 2 broken pistons at 20000 miles...

- Dustin M., Bennett, CO, US

Dec 072017

Cruze LS 1.4L

I purchased this 2017 Chevy Cruze the end of April (brand new) and feel as if I should not have any issues at all. I took the car in due to it jerking and not wanting to go and they informed me it was a cracked piston at 17,700 miles.

- Nicole R., Leslie, US

Nov 032017

Cruze 1.4L

Cracked piston with 4,200 mi. The dealer was great had to put in a new engine. Sounds like it's a common thing in these motors. Got the car for my son and luckily he was on a side street when it broke down. Probably last Chevy car I'll ever get.

- Duke S., Toledo, US

Mar 012017

Cruze 1.4L

I took my car in after having issues with it and then saying the Stabilitrak needs service. So I took it in the next morning, it has been over a week and today I find out that there is a cracked piston(seems like this happens a lot). This car is 5 months old and I shouldn't be having these issues and it seems like the Dealership isn't any better. They have given me the run around for over a week. I can't work without my car and I'm so upset! I'm not even sure what my next step is UGH

- Marlene V., Seagoville, TX, US