8.2

$5,567.00

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (18 reports)
  3. engine rebuild (8 reports)
  4. repair/replace rings (3 reports)
  5. replace catalytic converter (1 reports)
  6. replaced fuel pump (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Nov 012015

Equinox

September 2013, my husband bought me a 2010 Chevy Equinox, let's say I will NEVER buy American again! After getting ripped off with my payments I read through the book in glove compartment only to find out there was a new engine put in and I was never told. If I had been I would have never bought this SUV. Needless to say a month ago I was at about 20 % to get my oil changed when engine was knocking. My husband checked dipstick, bone dry, so I am now doing an oil consumption before my warranty is up in 2500 miles, I'm at 103500. My first 1000 they report 1/2 quart low, next 1000 1 quart, so we will see how this goes seeing I have another three year loan on this POS. Shame on you GM!

- , Naugatuck, CT, USA

Mar 152015

Equinox LTZ 2.5L

It's consuming to much oil. I get a oil change not even the a month and half it has no more oil

- , Rockford, IL, US

Nov 202015

Equinox 2.4L

My Chevrolet equinox is in the shop right now and they are saying I need a brand new engine. They said that the oil was so low that it wrecked the engine completely. I did not know that the engine excessively burned oil so I just got oil changes routinely until the other day when the car broke down right in the middle of the interstate exit. I can not believe that this is happening. When I bought the car in September of 2013 I asked the sales associate about the indicator on the car that tells you when to change the oil. He told me that I could use that to know when to change the oil on the car and when it would get to about 50 I would change the oil. Now I am stuck with this piece of junk car that needs a brand new engine and I do not have any money to buy a new engine. I cant trade the car in because I owe 13,500 on the car still and they wont give me even close to that as a trade in. I can not believe that GM is selling these cars with faulty engines and all these people are having issues with the engine and they still haven't recalled this. This is just another example of big corporations screwing over the little guy. This is almost a scam that they are still selling these cars. I want to go up to Chevrolet and protest this and make sure no one else is left in the same situation I am in. I hope no one buys a Chevrolet equinox and we should all boycott GM together. This is ridiculous that so many people are going through this.

- , Kenner, LA, US

Jan 172015

Equinox ES 2.4L

01/17/2015 fuel pump dump gas in the oil. That took out the timing chain and the balancer had a bolt broke off.Chevy fix it after that the engine used 2 qt. of oil in 1300 miles. York Chevy dealer ran a test on how much oil the engine was using. Three weeks a go they called and said Chevy said to repair the engine. Chevy in York Ne. took the engine apart there was a problem with the bolt on the balancer it took the block out. The dealer order out a new engine thinking it would be covered by the recall. I picked up the car on 10/17/2015 Sat. On 10/19/2015 the York dealer call and said Chevy was not going to pay for the engine on recall of the engine using oil. I said that the problem was the recall of the balancer and time chain to 2020 or 120,000 miles. Chevy GM Minimum Customer Participation Calculator I paid $500.00 on the new engine.

On 11/14/2015 I was going to Colorado stop at Lexington. Ne. the engine had a rough ideal and stalled three times the four time would not restart and the security light came on. On the 11/15/2015 I called Chevy Plum Creek Motors they towed it in and checked it over said they would have to pull the intake to check injectors.

On 11/17/2015 services person called and said all four injectors was bad and was blowing out a fuse. I asked how all four injector would go bad a once he did not know. So i said the replace them. I picked my car up on 11/18/2015 paid $1,016.16 for the repair. I asked to have my old injectors so I could test them.

Seven miles from home the doors unlocked and lock a number of times real fast and the and it jumped up to 7,000 RPM. I turned off the engine and restarted the car it ran OK I went a mile or two the doors unlocked and locked and RPM jumped up to 7,000.

I have went on line there are so many complaints one can not read all of them. In read them Chevy has known of this problem with this car starting in 2010. Like the Chevy key Switch problem they say they know of no problems. It is just time before someone will get killed by this car stalling or door unlocking and locking.

I called one of the attorneys on Chevy key switch problem 1 800 541 7358 please if you have a problem call this number.

- , Stromsburg, USA

Oct 232015

Equinox LT 4 cyl

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

GM cars and trucks now tell us that your engine should burn 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.

My equinox has no leaks and is burning oil at such a high rate. I use full synthetic oil and that apparently does nothing more that help my oil now. I know when my engine has burned off at least 1 quart because the engine begins to vibrate upon acceleration. My oil monitor in the car showed 52% oil life left. I did an oil change because I wanted to see if that would be the solution to the noise. Sure enough, my equinox had just about 2 quarts of oil left in it. I contact the dealership and ask them how much oil should a 5 year old car burn on average every 1000 miles. I was expecting an answer like a 1/3 of a quart or something low. They told me the equinox will burn 1 quarts every 100 miles. I go up the chain and ask GM and they tell me that upon asking the dealership for chevrolet specifications, they can "confirm that up to 1 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles is the acceptable amount of oil consumption for the vehicle." And that if I believe there is a problem, I will need to do an oil consumption test at the dealership.

Anyone else see an issue here. Go get vehicle tested and it hits 1quart every 1000 miles. Hey that meets the standards that they claim is appropriate. So lets pay them to do an oil change every 1000 miles for as they would like to tell me there is nothing wrong.

They also said "the oil life monitor is an estimation and it is still recommended to check the engine oil level at each fuel stop to make sure the engine oil is at the appropriate level". So, they are putting features in cars to help us monitor the car and telling us that those are all estimates. Oil Life Monitor should not tell me 52% and have barely enough oil to run the car.

Upon further research from others, the issue is that modern direct injected engines have low tension piston rings that allow oil into the combustion chamber and additional oil suspended in the upper valve assembly gets siphoned through the crankcase ventilation system and back into the combustion chamber and get burned on the valves.

I am waiting to see what engine issues our families Traverse occurs before I make any decision, but if this is how the GM engines are being built; I am looking elsewhere.

- , Fairfield, OH, USA

Jan 022015

Equinox LX

Bought this 2010 Chevy Equinox Nov 2014 ONE MONTH later the timing chain went. Dealer replaced timing chain. Then after few months I noticed that I had to keep adding oil every 1000 miles. I just got a oil change Sept 2015 and two weeks later the oil dipstick showed EMPTY! I added more oil and all of a sudden three days ago the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON! I have a warranty for timing chain until Dec 2015 but I reported this dealer to BBB (Better Business Bureau) due to may other issues.......they refuse to answer my calls on this matter.

I see there's a recall for Carbon monoxide emissions so maybe I will try that route BUT definitely getting rid of this vehicle.......I love the car but it sounds like a diesel engine starting up and it constantly TICKS like it needs oil ......... GM NEEDS TO RECALL THESE VEHICLES and replace engines! Not buying another Chevy and I have few people who were going to purchase this Chevy Equinox from dealers BUT I talked them all out of it!

- , Webster, NY, US

Feb 152015

Equinox LS

I have always stuck with Chevy as my choice of vehicle. The fact of the matter is ever since I bought this, I have had nothing but issues with it. It is going through an easy 5 quarts of oil a week and no sign of where it is going. Also, have a loud ticking noise that sounds like my vehicle is just going to break down on me every time I turn it on. Being a 2010 and only 50,000 miles on it I do not think I should be dealing with this kind of issue. I only drive back and forth to work or around town. I have only done 2 long trips with it in the past 2 years I have had it. Is it worth getting fixed or should I just sell it and look for a new vehicle is my decision.

- , Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Equinox LX 2.4L

This car is a piece of crap-I will never buy another American car. When I got this car I know the US auto industry was in shambles. I thought I would do my part by purchasing an American car. This is the first and last American vehicle that I will ever own. Chevy can kiss my ass. They designed a poor vehicle and they know it.They should compensate every person that purchased these with a new different vehicle. What a waste of time and money. With the money I have used to fix this vehicle- I could have easily have this thing paid off by now. Now the vehicle has lost a lot of value. Chevy has over produced these cars and now they hold no value. Do not buy this car even used. The rest of the market must know it because every lot is full of them that they cannot sell. Chevy screwed up royally.

- , Glen Carbon, IL, USA

Oct 152013

Equinox LS 4L

I was excited about buying my first American made vehicle after reading car reviews for months. I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox in July of 2013. After my first scheduled oil change it started getting really dirty under the hood, like oil spray. Complained about it at the next oil change and was told they couldn't find any leaks.

Two months after that oil change it started running really rough, checked the oil, and it didn't register on the dip stick. Fast forward thru adding 2 quarts every 3,000 miles for a year. The car runs like an old jalopy whenever it gets 1/2 quart low on oil.

October of 2014 I received the TSB from GM that 2010 Equinox consume excessive oil. I immediately called the dealership, made an appointment, arranged for a rental, they had it two days and then called me and said there was a leak in the oil pan. They didn't touch the TSB items in TWO DAYS! Then we started oil consumption tests every 1000 miles. Been doing that since November of 2014 only to be told again and again that 1 quart every 2000 miles is acceptable usage, and that is approximately what I am using.

They have no idea if it is more than that because they just add the quart and it returns to the acceptable level. BUT HEY, I can feel free to pay for repairs for myself if I feel I need them! I now see that this is a VERY common problem, and I am totally wishing I hadn't gotten caught up in the American made BS.

Has any one had success convincing their dealer to fix this?

- , Chesapeake, VA, US

Apr 012015

Oh, this car...

I was looking up issues as I am about to turn my car in for major repairs, and I have read everyone's complaints. This info may help someone. We've had our Equinox for 2.5 years, bought it at about 24K miles. I was looking at a new one and was talked into late model used by my bank and the dealer. Within about 3 months, the problems started. The high pressure fuel pump went first. It would idle rough, then would stall. GM repaired this with no problems. The issue is that it has gone out multiple times and who has time to spend going back and forth to a dealer, waiting on tow trucks, getting rentals, etc? The last time they repaired it, they decided to fix the timing assembly also. After about 3 months, we noticed the car was hemorrhaging oil onto the driveway. GM fixed this, but I used a different dealer. When I went to pick the car up, the customer service guy showed me a plastic bag full of timing components that had cycled through my engine.

This brings us to today... My husband has had to add 4 qts of oil in 2 weeks. The car is idling so rough that it literally rocks. The check engine light comes on and off randomly, and sometimes the car stalls. I called GM yet again and found out the following:

The company has issued special warranties until the year 2020 or 120K miles on the fuel pump, engine balance assembly, and engine for excessive oil consumption. There is also a recall for carbon monoxide emissions. I'll know more later, but I'm turning it in today to get the fuel pump and timing assembly done (4th time in 2 yrs!), the computer to be reprogrammed, and 4 new pistons for the engine. This is all at no cost to me, even though my car is out of warranty.

If you are having this problem, call customer service. I wouldn't have known about any of this if I hadn't.

- , Walton, KY, USA

Mar 232015

Equinox LT

I'm having issues with my 2010 Equinox as it is in the shop now, because the check engine light kept coming on. I recently had an oil change and was not due for another, but according to the Chevy dealership the vehicle is running low on oil. I was told I have to go through an oil consumption test which will cause me to bring the vehicle in every 1000 miles which is the only way they can confirm there is an issue with the engine as well as verify how much oil has been consumed.

My warranty will be over in 3 weeks and I can not afford to buy a new engine as many of you stated you had to do. My engine is rattling and sounds very strange. What should I do? I'm sure I have the same issue you all do as we have the same exact issues and are receiving the same answers. Should I contace GM? Why are they not recalling this issue and proving assistance? My vehicle stalled while my son was in he car, what if I was rear ended due to this issue? I maintain my vehicle regularly and only bought the vehicle with 25k miles, I should not be having this many issues. I'm concerned that I won't be able to get it fixed before my warranty is up and will be stuck with a bill. I'm debating if I should trade it in. Help!!!!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 202015

Equinox LTZ V4

Keep having engine/transmission problems, which makes the oil consumption test have to be restarted.

- , Selah, USA

Mar 192015

Equinox LTZ V4

Thank God I bought the extended warranty. Really pissed off.

- , Selah, USA

Mar 252015

Equinox LTZ 2.4L 4 cyl

Feeling really irritated with GM. Known engine problem, I find out now, but prior to my engine seizing I figured my oil was just running low and I had checked it about once per week for 3 weeks. First my cam chain breaks and radiator springs a leak while I'm on a road trip, 5 days in the shop, have to take a bus home, miss 3 days of work, total for repairs is $2500.

2 weeks later I decide I'm ready to put the vehicle to the test and take it on another business road trip. I get 300 miles from home and the engine just locks up and seizes on me in the middle of nowhere Texas. Have to pay for a tow in to the nearest town ($150), get the news that the oil has gasoline in it and the engine is seized. The quote is for $6,000 to repair, will be in the shop for a week. I have my wife come pick me up and get home at 3 a.m., missed another 2 days of work because I have no means of transportation. Ended up renting a car and going to the meeting I was late for 6 hours away from home.

Apparently this is a know issue for the Equinox. The dealership has the audacity to offer me $1,000 for the car on a trade in. I still owe $9,000 on this vehicle, and am over $10,000 in additional mechanical bills. What can I do? I realize that GM would go bankrupt (again) if they had to bail out everyone in my situation, but is there not some obligation to pony up to an issue that can cause such significant repair costs to the consumer?

- , Lubbock, TX, USA

Jan 112012

Equinox ES 4 cyl

Smeds Dec 16, 2014 Atlanta, Illinois 12 16 2014A PUBLIC LETTER TO CHEVY AND EQUINOX OWNERS If you like Christmas, you will like the Chevy Equinox. Mostly because the dashboard lights up all the time with different messages regarding mechanical issues. My 2010, which I have soaked thousands in repairs into, gave me this neat message today! I've tried working with GM and Chevy on this, of course no one seems to want to admit that the 4 cylinder Ecotec engine is a pile of reindeer excrement. I bought it used with 36k miles on the engine. As soon as I noticed the odd way it ran and sounds, I reported in to my dealer in Lincoln, Illinois. I was told that it was fine and I needed to have the fuel system flushed. Did that and had a cabin smell of fuel cleaner and exhaust. Was told that would go away. NOPE, to this day, still has that ''old car smell''. In fact, since I have had it, the oil consistently smells like gasoline and the engine uses oil. I've been on enough other sites to know that I am not alone. I have spent hours on the phone and writing letters to GM. Before I reached 100k miles, I had a crankcase explosion. Of course, ''Sarah'', at GM (they are all Sarah by the way), did not understand what a crankcase explosion is. (Google it) I've put a new main seal in it, new transmission, multiple front hubs, new tires because they wear out prematurely due to a bad design, headlights that have to be changed by a gymnast; (access is through a round panel in the front wheel well), and have changed the oil in it well prior to Chevy's oil change meter in the info settings. I cannot say enough BAD THINGS about Chevy and GM and this pile of ....t. Oh, and its already rusting too. I could live with the rust if It wasn't such a shop queen. And then GM's claim of 32mpg. I would have to be going downhill, on a steep icy slope with a tailwind and the engine off to attain 32mpg. More like 21mpg on a good day. Still paying for it, its a very comfortable vehicle when you sit in it, with the engine off in the garage. Atlanta Yeti Show less

- , Atlanta, IL, USA

Dec 302014

Equinox LT 2.4L

I bought my Equinox from Carlock of Tupelo, MS. After 8 months, and regular maintenance/ oil changes, my SUV has started giving me serious problems and I still owe A LOT on it. Carlock is not wanting to cover me with their lifetime powertrain warranty. I hope that there are people out there that will listen and report their own problems with the Equinox. A tick can be heard in the engine and it often goes dead at lights and stop signs. The engine light comes on often. It seems to constantly have low oil issues in spite of regular oil changes. The service man at Carlock says that it will cost a lot to fix and other problems are sure to follow. I don't know what to do. HELP!

- , Ripley, MS, USA

Jan 012014

Equinox LS 2.4L

Yes, I have read about this so many times, about 2010 Equinox burning oil. And yep, had to replace this engine also $5000. Bought it used, or actually my daughter did, and was stuck with it because she owed more than it was worth. Still seems like a lot of moisture in air box and fill cap but so far new engine not using oil

- , Kellogg, IA, USA

Nov 272009

Equinox LX 4.2L

I have 80,000 miles on my car at this point. However, this oil consumption has been happening since I have owned the car. I have asked why my car runs so rough no one seems to know. Luckily I get my oil changed every 3000 miles, however no one until recently noticed I have no oil in my engine at that time. Although they are fixing it this is not the only thing I have had wrong.

- , Osseo, MN, US

Feb 122013

Equinox

It has been some time and considerable grief. I feel like this has been the worst consumer relations experience I have had in my 54 years of life! I must condense or this will become a novel. Potential buyers take note! DO NOT BUY CHEVY EQUINOX - EVER! It hurts me to say this. My Father worked in a GM factory for 40 yrs. and we have been loyal GM family forever. Currently own 4... 2 Pontiac, 2 Chevy. Have always been proud of and bragged about GM. WHAT HAPPENED?

I spent 1 & 1/2 years trying to resolve this engine problem. The vehicle now sits in the backyard with weeds growing around it.

2010 Chevy Equinox runs rough- fix actuators (variable valve timing is actuated by oil pressure) -Problem eventually returns. Told that it needs oil change = $$ -Problem returns. Recalibrate oil life monitor system. -Problem returns. Finally realize oil consumption problem. Dealer agrees to start oil consumption test. Oil change first = $$ -Test shows excessive oil consumption. Dealer says "need more data, start another oil consumption test. Oil change first = $$ -Service department overfills oil to skew results. Oil consumed fast enough to eventually exceed acceptable limits anyway. -Service department says "need to replace engine" OK, now we are getting somewhere. Left vehicle 4 days and then find out that they replaced timing chain and rings, etc. Did not replace engine. I was told that this particular dealer has replaced several dozen of same engines for the exact same problem and now they can't get complete engines and GM's new fix is rebuild. When would they admit that there is an inherent problem with the design of this engine? -Problem immediately returns. Service department says do another oil consumption test. Oil change first = $$ -Up to this point vehicle never leaked a drop on driveway or garage floor. Oil now leaking from vehicle. -Return to dealer for diagnosis. Rear main seal bad. Vehicle now beyond 100,000 miles which was dealers goal all along. They say I must pay $1,800 to fix main seal and start oil consumption test again.

At this point I am reaching my limits. I tried GM consumers complaints hotline. They basically took my complaint and then called the dealer. The dealer TODD WENZEL CHEVY in Hudsonville, MI. then called me and angrily asked why I called complaint hotline... Hello?

I will try to summarize. 2010 Chevy Equinox 4 cylinder engine has an inherent design flaw which was admitted when GM sent a notice that stated that the plunger shaft seal on the fuel pump needed to be replaced. This defect in the fuel pump allows fuel to leak into the oil reservoir, eventually at a rate fast enough that it thins the oil which is a lubrication issue for every component in the engine. It thins the oil to the point that it can seep by the rings and be combusted during operation. Then what happens is before a consumer realizes this they end up with an engine with very low oil(gasoline thinned oil) levels in the crankcase which creates a bigger lubrication issue. This is why the VVT(variable valve timing) actuators fail (remember, they are actuated by oil pressure) and this causes the rough idle and stalling problem. Every internal engine component that is lubricated by the oil is now damaged and engine replacement is the only acceptable fix.

I now realize that there are probably thousands of consumers out there with the same issue. Initially they replaced the engines but once GM realized the scope of this problem they realized what a cost this would be and developed policies for dealers to ignore, deflect and band aid fix the problem until vehicles would exceed warranty mileage thus leaving loyal customers stranded!

PLEASE! If anyone out there has suggestions or a contact that can help with this issue please leave a comment. I'm out approximately $15,000 and can't afford a new vehicle.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 202014

Equinox LS 2.4L

BOUGHT THE CAR USED IN JULY 2013 KEPT COMPLAINING TO AUTO DEALER SMELLS OF BURNING OIL DIP STICK ALWAYS SHOWED NO OIL. TOOK THEM A YEAR TO FINALLY DO AN OIL CONSUMPTION PAPERS. REBUILD MY ENGINE AND STILL HAVING A PROBLEM

- , Rochester, NY, US