8.3

$3,370

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (22 reports)
  3. engine rebuild (10 reports)
  4. repair/replace rings (5 reports)
  5. replace catalytic converter (2 reports)
  6. replace timing chain (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Nov 042018

Equinox LS 2.4L

This car is for my son and he’s lucky he knows where to put the gas and the key in the ignition. He is Not mechanically inclined nor can he tell one noise from another. In fact I doubt if he can hear anything because he plays the radio so loud. Sunday, November 4th he tells me there’s a loud noise coming from under the hood. To him it sounded like a belt slapping. I look, belts fine but there’s a horrendous noise coming from the engine. I check the dipstick and there’s no oil on it. I added three quarts for him to run it and get it around to my drive and on the ramps. He took my car to the store to get oil and filter. I drained out what I had just put in along what was left in the pan and later installed the new filter. He’s only put 10k on the car in the three years he’s had it. Bought it at 77k.

He bought the car as a rush job. The Chevy dealer got in the car as a trade and he was quickly called and he got the car. They told him to take it for the weekend and bring it back Monday for them to check it out since it was a quick in & out sale. Well the transmission died shortly after and the dealer made it good with a new one.

I have no idea about how often the car was serviced or treated. The dealer did change the oil/filter for him and I changed it last year. Had the engine started using oil last year? No idea. But it was still full from the time the dealer changed it to when I changed it last year. I didn’t change the PVC because I never saw the thing as to where it could be located and frankly never thought of it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I also added a can of RESTORE 4-cylinder treatment along with the oil to help cover any damage that may have occurred. The engine ran fine and he went back to his apartment.

Today, Monday, he calls me to tell me his car died and wouldn’t start. I had no car. My daughter was using mine as hers was in the shop. Future son-in-law helped out and went to the rescue. They brought battery to AutoZone and battery was good with 87% life. Ended up towing the car to the CarSmith’s and the mechanic there said the engine was seized.

Did my neglect on the PVC start this or did son’s neglect at not checking the oil periodically cause this? He goes by the oil minder. I forgot to mention that he said it was 25% when he checked but then he waited too long to tell me about it when he said it was at 9%. Too late. I’m disabled, my wife is disabled and I already have enough going on. To keep up with his car is not my job. So now what do we do?

- David M., Houma, US

Apr 092018

Equinox LS 2.4L

I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox in March 2018 from a local dealer with roughly 85000 miles on it. I was never alerted to any problems or issues about the car or any warnings. Roughly 20 days after I purchased it the a/c quit working and the vehicle started to run rough. 3 days later, the car died and would not restart. I had to have the vehicle towed 100 miles back to my house as we were at a concert.

We took it to the Chevy, GMC dealer and was told that they had an extended warranty on the oil consumption due to issues with it which cause it ti use more oil than it should which could cause it to brake the timing chain which is what happened. I spent $6500 on this vehicle and was told because I did not have a consumption test done, I could not get it covered by Chevy, GMC. I did not even have it 30 days before it stopped working nor did I know this was a problem with this vehicle. The quickest quote I got to fix this is $5095 which I don't have.

I feel that Chevy should have fixed this problem when I bought it in because they were aware of this issue. I have medical issues and not working this severely hurt me and my fiance, leaving us without a car and only one income.

- Christa G., Shelbyville, TN, US

Mar 092016

Equinox 2LT

After 2-years of problems to prove excessive oil consumption, the car finally broke down and they wanted about $4K to replace, even though it was still under their warranty (they had extended the warranty because of the known problem since 2012 and sent formal letters in 2014). Finally after discussion with the dealer concerning multiple repairs in the past 6years; the dealer stepped up to help and we paid about $1500 including misc. shop cost & taxes.

- Carl A., Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 112017

Equinox LX 2.4L

I have to check the oil nearly every time I refuel. This is difficult and I feel unsafe on long trips.

- Jean S., Portage, US

Oct 012015

Equinox

Almost one month, I need to add engine oil. It really bother sme. When I drive far to other city, I need to bring a bottle of engine oil with me.

- simonliu, Mississauga, ON, canada

Jan 152015

Equinox LT 4

My 2010 Equinox has been consuming way too much oil. I don't even count how much I've been spending on oil drilling change and filling up oil since I got the car 2015 November. It damaged my engine and shut down in March 2016. Replaced and covered by warranty, but now my warranty expired, so I just keep on adding oil and change oil as often an possible. The engine is even loud. This is very stressful and a waste of money. I wish Chevy could do something about it.

I've been to Chevy dealerships. They also found no leak and can't figure out the reason for this excess oil consumption. Whenever I park in the sun, I always get a sign on my dashboard about my service stability track. They say the sun is damaging acceleration sensor. I'm really going through too much with this car and annoyed when I have to pay for something that's even wasting my money and kind of unsafe.

- Nosiphiwo M., Peachtree Corners, GA, US

Aug 152018

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

On 8/15/18 my car started hesitating and not accelerating while on the highway. I noticed the check engine light was on. I pulled into work and luckily we have a Precision Tune across the street. I took the car there for a diagnostic and was told by the manager that the following codes came back (P0011 & P00169). His words to me was "your engine is shot"...Of course I'm immediately in a state of panic because to replace an engine costs several thousand dollars.

So I then take it to Advance Auto the next day and have them run a free diagnostic to get the proper codes so I can compare or get a second opinion with the dealership. The codes I received from Advance Auto were (P0016 & P0017), which means there is an issue with cam/crank timing being off. The dealership also found the same codes and my timing chain is what needed to be replaced and balance the shaft chain. I had previously took my car to the dealership almost a year prior for having issues with the oil consumption. I told them I though I had a leak because the levels were constantly low. Of course they didn't find anything at the time but when all this happened, it was not to long after my warranty expired.

So to make a long story short, Chevrolet is aware this is an ongoing problem and customers should not be responsible for manufactures defect! There are so many Equinox with this same issue and unfortunately for me it was an very expensive $1805 and not cover by my warranty because it had already expired. If there is a law suit against Chevrolet, I definitely want to be included.

- Anitra L., Perry Hall, US

Aug 212017

Equinox LX 4.0L

FIRST THERE WAS A SLIGHT CATCH IN SHIFTING GEARS SO I HAD MY TRANSMISSION FIXED. THEN COME TO FIND OUT THIS WASN'T JUST THE PROBLEM, THAT MY TIMING CHAIN WAS OFF SO I HAD TO GET ANOTHER TIMING CHAIN. THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

WHEN YOU FIRST TAKE OFF THE HESITATION IS STILL THERE. SOMETIMES WHEN I GO TO PASS SOMEBODY IT BOGS DOWN INSTEAD OF GOING, WHICH CAUSES ME NOT TO BE ABLE TO PASS. THIS OCCURS WHEN MY OIL LEVEL IS LOW. NOT THAT I GET AN ALERT REGARDING THE OIL LEVEL BEING TOO LOW. I JUST KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE WHEN THIS HAPPENS, I NEED TO ADD OIL TO IT. THERE'S BEEN TIMES WHEN MY I CHECK MY OIL BY REMOVING THE CAP WHERE YOU ADD OIL AT IS COMPLETELY BONE ASS DRY. I DONT SEE HOW I HAVEN'T LOCKED UP MY MOTOR. I TRY TO CHECK IT AT LEAST 3 TIMES A WEEK.

I GET THE REAL GOOD OIL THE KIND THAT FARMERS USE ON THERE EQUIPMENT THAT KIND THAT YOUR SUPPOSE TO BE ABLE TO GO 6,000 MILES BEFORE HAVING IT CHANGED, AND AFTER I GET IT CHANGED I HAVE TO STILL ADD OIL TO IT AT LEAST ONCE PER WEEK UNTIL I HAVE IT CHANGED AGAIN.

THE EQUINOX IS A GOOD RIDE EXCEPT FOR THE OIL CONSUMPTION IT TAKES IN. I DO HAVE OVER 200,000 MILES ON MY EQUINOX, BUT YET I HAVE ALWAYS KEPT THE OIL CHANGED IN IT, I NEVER GO OVER THE MILES IT ALLOWS YOU BEFORE HAVING TO CHANGE IT. BUT FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE REPLACED EVERYTHING FROM THE TRANSMISSION TO THE MOTOR. SO I FEEL LIKE I SHOULDN'T STILL BE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH OIL CONSUMPTION BUT I DO.

- jodiem, Mon, US

Feb 022014

Equinox LX

Before this, I had to replace the timing chain and went through lots of oil. Then I have gone through sensors needing to be replaced and continue to have engine light go off all the time and pour lots of oil in. The worst car I have had in 40 years. I really like this car, but all this crap! They should buy me a new car.

- monicot, El Cajon CA 92019, US

Sep 102018

Equinox LX 2.4L

Used 3 quarts of oil since oil change last month. No engine light warning just noise coming from motor at start ups. Checked oil and it did not register on the stick. I was showing 35% left on the indicator before next oil change is due. I am concerned because it took 3 quarts to get it back to safe on the dipstick. Have read that this is a GM issue but not sure how to proceed. I bought this Equinox less than a year ago. Boy do I feel like I have been had.

- Kelsey C., Clinton, TN, US

Jul 102018

Equinox 2.3L

I first noticed when the vehicle kept stalling about 2000 miles after a oil change. I only use mobile one in all my vehicles so it gets the best. I searched and searched why it was stalling and then I went online and seen there was problems with major oil consumption. So I check the oil and it wasn't even on the stick. I filled it up and the car started right up. I've kept an eye on it since and it seems to burn a quart of oil or more every 1000 miles on a motor with about 45,000 miles on it. I don't think I will ever buy another Chevy and cant believe there is no recall on this since there are so many problems out there.

- Jason V., Cottage Grove, US

Nov 242017

Equinox LT 2.4L

It was time to get the oil changed, took it in on 03/03/2017, with 56308 miles, it was a quart low before they changed it. I was not really concerned, kind of shrugged it off.

Time to get an oil change again, on 11/24/2017, with 59520 miles, check engine light was on this time. I was told the oil was off the stick! What the hell! I had no signs of a leak where I parked, no smoke, no smell, nothing. Mechanic didn't have an answer either.

The check engine light came on again, 05/02/2018. Didn't know why, drove for 2 days when I remembered the last time, it was the oil. Checked it and again it is off the stick, again! Really concerned now, so I looked up recalls or problems with the car and sure enough there were complaints from others, lots of others, with the same problem. Its not time to get the oil changed. I'm taking it in so i can have documentation that it is off the stick. I only have 62530 miles now.

I was getting my oil changed at the dealership, of course they said nothing about the oil level! Why isn't something being done about this? Are they waiting for someone to die before it gets taken care of? Not to mention the trade in value being low because of this!

- Jean M., Dixon, IL, US

Oct 312016

Equinox LS

When I initially purchased my truck I bought an expensive extended warranty. The dealership had me return for oil changes every 5k miles the 1st few times I had my oil changed. Without saying a word about it, one day I took it in & they put "return in 3k miles for your next oil change" on my sticker.

So three months later (following their instructions) I took it in thinking it was probably an error on the dealerships part. I didn't say a word & neither did they. When my truck was done, the new sticker had "return in 3K miles" again. I went back into the dealership & asked why I was being scheduled for 3K mile oil changes instead of 5K miles like previously. I was told at my last oil change, my truck was about a quart low on oil and it could be due to an excessive oil consumption issue.

I took it in religiously every 3 months/3K miles & every time I questioned "Was the oil low" and I was told "NO" it was not. My husband was also checking my oil every few days and it was never low. Less than 30 days after my extended warranty expired I was pulling out of my parking space at work & my truck jerked/lunged forward really hard and started idling very low and died. I restarted it and when I got to the stop sign it did it again. It did this every-time I stopped all the way home that night (Pretty Scary!)

The next morning I called the dealership and explained what it did and the guy said "Huh, we've heard a lot of things but I've never heard of one doing that!" They couldn't get me in that day and I was going out of state the next day and had to pay out of pocket for a rental b/c I was too afraid to drive my truck!

I got it to the dealership and finally got a call a few days later saying the problem was due to excessive oil consumption. I had to pay out of pocket for the repairs! The truck still lunges forward/jerks from time to time & it idles really low all the time (to the point it feels like it's going to die.) They act like I'm crazy or making stuff up when I mention it at the dealership, so I don't even mention it anymore!!!

I can't remember exactly what I paid out in repairs but it was over $500 and it cost me $200 for the rental. I do NOT feel safe in this vehicle, I haven't ever since that happened! It hasn't ever died on me like that again but the low idle (feels like it's going to die) and the lunging forward scares me!!!

- mvp, Greenwood, US

Oct 242017

Equinox LS 2.4L

On 10/24/2017 I was driving stopped at a light, went to take off car was hesitating and would not excel, I pulled off the road. Once I pulled off the road the car stalled and would not start. I called my husband, he and his dad show up. They checked the oil and it was low. I have it towed to the Honda Dealer that I bought the car but they suggested I have it towed to our local Chevy Dealer. I did just that.

I get a call from a rude ass person saying the reason my car went was because there was no oil in the car. I said that couldn't be true for my husband said it was low but there was oil in it. He says no, it was gone. He said the car should have been making one hell of a noise, I said no, he said well I find that hard to believe. I said something and he rudely says, well I can see this car wasn't taken care of, and I said oh yes it was. His rude comments came from the inside being dirty.

My granddaughter had use the car and I just got it back and her 2-toddlers had a mess in the back seat and who the hell was he to judge the car condition from 2 boys making a mess that I had not yet cleaned up. That comment pissed me right off so now it is on between me and this asshole. I find out the engine was shot. I pissed this jerk off so he decides to call the insurance company that I bought the extended warranty through and tells them the reason my engine failed was there was no oil in the car. My last oil change was overdue but how many engines blow when people are late getting their oil changed.

So because the engine blew, my oil change was late, and he told the insurance company there was NO oil in the engine, the insurance company declined paying for anything. Funny my husband checked the engine oil and there was oil on the dipstick but was low. Where did the oil go from where I had it towed to it got to their store. So I had the car towed out of there, took it to someone else. Spent $3000.00 to get the upper engine replaced. Now the car is running great when I get it back, then.... in a couple days it all starts.

The car kept wanting to stall. The company that did my engine said it's not anything they did so they suggested letting Chevy dealer take it from there. We had to go back to the rude ass man I had to deal with previously. They take it says there is nothing wrong with the car they said it drove fine. We bring the car home , next day acts up, take it back they played with it changed out some things says it is ok, next coupe days acts up. This went back and forth from 12/21/2017 until 3/2018.

Now I buy a GM Book Haynes Repair Manual. Now I am a woman 60 year old and I am fricken pissed as all hell now. I read this book and I came across a section that was talking about the same stalling problem. Now in between all this sh*t codes are coming across the engine lights they clear the program and fix one thing and then it all starts over again. Now I go to Auto Zone and buy an ignition switch. I google how to change it out and so I did! so proud of myself. Take the car out and drove beautiful no wanting to stall.

This good news makes me so happy! Then I start having oil consumption problems. I start looking up online and I find out all about this consumption crap. Now why didn't Chevy tell me anything about this?? So right from the start my engine failed due to this 1st issue. I no am really pissed. I write to GM Motors they get in touch with Chevy, Wow my oil problem is here again only difference is now I am aware of this consumption issue.

I speak to GM Motors and they tell me that there is no recall but there is a Code 14159 that is a "Special Coverage Adjustment" warranty with a 10 year/120,000 mile coverage on this oil consumption issue. They tell me to contact my Chevy dealer. My husband calls my buddy at Chevy and he tells my husband he will call him back. Well just so happens I speak to GM Motor, they give me this code, and he said they were going to get in touch with our Chevy dealer. Less that 10 minutes go by and how about the ass from Chevy calls us and said , hey Don I found out that there is a warranty that covers this issue.I yell out and say I just hung up with GM and I know about this code 14159. I take the phone from my husband and I say to my friend at Chevy and I said about the other problem with the stalling, I got a book and fixed the issue myself. I said I just thought I would tell you.

Now I am going to be dealing with them performing my consumption testing. Now I am pissed even more. My initial issue was oil related and it was not my fault, this was the problem that my engine failed the 1st time. Now it is on. I better not have any fricken problem with this 14159 warranty because I want my damn car fixed and I would really like to be reimbursed the money I put into it before. Right now I need to get through this with the oil loss because every few days the oil is burning and we are pumping oil into the engine. Time will tell.

I may be a 60 year old woman but I am not backing down from these people. Why wasn't I told about this issue the 1st fricken time?????? I had to dig and call Chevy GM Motors and go through all this stress. DO NOT BUY AN EQUINOX!

- Debra M., Erie, Pa, US

Aug 242017

Equinox LS 4 cyl

Purchased 2010 Equinox in Feb. 2014. Came with12 Month/12000 mile warranty. Mileage 60,571.

October 2014 - Using 2 1/2 quarts of oil in just 1000 miles. Took into Betten Chevy. Had to go thru 2 weeks of oil consumption tests to prove the oil issue.

November 2014 - They rebuilt my engine. Under warranty.

August 2017 - Check engine light coming on - code P0016 - took back in. Again they replaced timing chain, gaskets and gasket kits. Charged me $2271.00

August 28th 2017 - Engine acts like it gonna stall at stop signs. Took back in: could not duplicate, possible throttle body or cam actuator causing int problem.

April 29, 2018 - Check engine light back on - Code P0013 - this is a lemon. Betten Chevy in Muskeogn won't stand behind their own warranties.

Update from Sep 20, 2018: Jumped through all Betten Chevy hoops to be told we just got to keep doing oil consumption tests. I fixed this engine twice!! The last time was 2400$. I have dumped this Lemon and took a 3500$ loss!!! I will never buy another Chevy as long as I live!

- Paula B., Fruitport, US

Jan 052018

Equinox 2.4L

Bought the 2010 Chevy Equinox on 8/17/2017. Probably the worse decision ever made.

A few months after purchasing my car as I was driving to work my check engine light came on. I work 12hr shifts so after returning to my car the next morning the light was off. Figured I just needed to check oil, and I did and realized I had none. Figured it was time for an oil change so I took it to Delta Sonic a week later to have one performed. To my surprise they told me I had NO oil in my truck. I couldn't believe it because I had just put a quart of oil in there and maybe have only driven 100 miles at most!

About 2 weeks after that I started to feel my car shake when I would approach a stop sign or stop light. It would seem as if I needed to turn the car off to give it a brief break and turn it back on. I didn't understand what was going on until I checked my oil again and once again, no oil. Now it's winter time in Buffalo NY so the temperatures can get pretty freaking cold. My husband told me it was probably all the snow and cold weather, my truck was taking more oil than normal. Still not convinced I put more oil in my truck and waiting 1 week to have my husband take it to the shop this time.. once again they told him upon arriving there was no oil in my truck. Un-freaking- believeable. I never had a single indicator light come on in my car!!! Nothing!

Fast forward to a few days ago, driving my car and all of a sudden it completely stopped in the middle of the road!! And I could only start it back up enough to move it a few yards before it would cut off again. It has shut off before, but I was always able to just restart it and drive off. But this time I couldn't. Got it towed to Chevrolet Keller (3600 Genesee St) Buffalo NY. DON'T! I REPEAT. DON'T EVER PURCHASE, RENT, LEASE, LOOK, BLINK OR EVEN BREATHE IN THAT DIRECTION. I've never felt so violated and disrespected as a customer in my life!

I bring my car in with NO indicator lights on of any kind. Leave out with $140 diagnosis fee, $1900 estimate to fix the timing chain, BS excuses on why they have to pull apart my truck to find out what other issues it may be ( even though GM is well aware of the issues they neglectfully didn't inform me about) they just are making any way possible to make a problem even bigger! They fought with me saying my indicator lights had to be on and I have had to known about the issues because the test came back that problems occurring would have showed an indicator light. There was never!

The only reason I knew it was a problem was from taking my car in to get an oil change and shortly after my car stopping and jerking and making noises that began getting louder.i will be bringing this matter so any and everybody's attention until this matter is resolved because it's unfair.

I drive with my 3&4 years old in the car daily, so to suggest that I would drive around with my indicator lights on, jeopardizing my children's life is asinine! That's what put me over the edge. I would have never bought this vehicle knowing the ongoing issues that persist. I refuse to get the matter resolved until GM acknowledge, covers and recall these dangerous vehicles!!

- Kiaya B., Buffalo, NY, US

Nov 012017

Equinox LT 4 cyl

Uses at least 1 extra quart between 3,000 mile oil change.

- Michael J., Howe, US

Aug 082016

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 cyl

Bought two vehicles from this particular dealer at the same time! After driving the Equinox for 1200 mi. had to add qt of oil. Then in Oct 2016 received a recall notice that the fuel pump on the engine was leaking fuel into the crankcase and needed to be replaced. Dealer preformed the recall but failed to change the engine oil and filter because they said it was not part of the recall !!! I went home and changed the oil and filter myself.

After driving the vehicle it continues to use oil at the rate of about 1 qt per 1000 to 2000 miles. I have had to add 5 qts of oil in the 8000 mis I have driven this piece of crap !!!!!!! I have been researching the problem and found this to be a problem with the 2.4 L engine and that there is suppose to be a recall for this problem. I'm collecting all the info I can and found that there has also been a class action lawsuit filed against GM. Going to see what the dealer has to say about taking care of this problem.

- truckinck, Marion, US

Mar 112015

Equinox LT 2.4L

I brought my 2010 Equinox to the dealer on 3/11/15, after seeing the engine light briefly flash on and off. The car did not sound right and engine was making a ticking noise. After being checked out, I was told there was no oil in the car. The last oil change was at 81,843 miles, so all the oil in the car had been consumed after driving 5,141 miles. I mentioned to my service advisor at Schumacher Chevy that I had received a letter from GM regarding issues with excessive oil consumption and had the letter with me. No leaks were found so an oil consumption test was set up. It was also almost due for an oil change so they did that was well. After bringing the car back twice for the oil consumption test, I was told that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that the engine was "operating as designed" so I went on my way. On approx. 6/9/15,

at 91,174 miles (4,190 since last oil change), I decided to check the oil. The oil barely covered the end of the dipstick. I was not able to immediately take it to service department so I put oil in it until I could get it there but I took pictures of the dip stick so my service advisor could see where the level was. I brought it back Schumacher on 6/16/15. Another oil consumption test was set up, vehicle was brought back 2 times to check the oil level, and again I was told the vehicle was "operating as designed". On 2/9/16, at 102,962 miles (4,202 since last oil change) and after the engine has been running rough and engine ticking again, I check the oil and there was no oil registering on the dipstick. I return for the 3rd time to Schumacher and am told the vehicle was 2 quarts low on oil but that it is normal to use 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles and the car is perfectly fine. They filled the car with oil and I again went on my way. On 3/1/16, at 103,073 miles, I take my car to Eco Lube for a quick oil change (I was going out of town and did not have time to take it to Schumacher and frankly was disgusted with them). I told them of my problems with the oil consumption and they told me that it was 2-3 quarts low on oil. On 4/10/16, I decide to check the oil again. Again car is running rough and engine sounds terrible. The car now has 106,000 miles and it has been 2,927 miles since my last oil change. The oil is now at the very bottom of the bottom hash mark so it will need to be taken back to Schumacher in the very near future and I am sure they will tell me yet again that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. The letter I received from GM around August, 2014, stated that they are aware that my vehicle may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption due to piston ring wear. They have offered to fix this problem, if it occurs, within 10 years of the date the vehicle was placed in service or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, free of charge. I believe I am being strung along until I reach 120,000 miles so that they do not have to fix the problem.

- Alexia P., Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Equinox LT 2.4L

I purchased this car in August of 2011 when it had 34,000 miles on it. It started leaking and using oil 3 months later, so it was covered under warranty. I have had this car into dealers at least 10 times alone for transmission troubles and the way it jumped while driving. When car was put in dealers under warranty they supposedly replaced pistons, rings and timing chain. Now with 133,222 miles on it, the engine blew all of the oil out in neighbors driveway and had to have it towed back home. Don't know what's wrong this time, but this car is the lemon of all lemons!!

- Dick S., Sellersburg, IN, US