Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

Oct 092014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while approaching a stop light traveling approximately 15 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, where the contact was referred to check with a local authorized dealer for inspection, diagnosis and repair. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Aug 292014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving the power steering stopped working. A chime sounded and the dashboard panel indicated "power steering." We stopped drove a short distance to our destination without incident, but with great difficulty steering. When we started the car again, the power steering worked. However, since that time the power steering will stop working about 90 percent of the time. If we turn the car off and restart it, the power steering works for a short time and cuts off. From internet research we are aware of many others having this same problem.

- Louisburg, NC, USA

Feb 142014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering gets hard to turn and there is a clicking noise once.

- Huron, CA, USA

Sep 102014

HHR

A warning light comes on in the dash and then the power steering goes out, causing the car to steer very hard.before this started to happen, for the last couple of years every time I applied the brakes the steering wheel would vibrate very bad. I had everything checked like brake pads, rotors, shocks, tires etc. Nothing ever seemed to solve the problem.now with the power steering going out, I checked to see if there was a recall on this problem. I was told there was a recall about this same problem with the Chevy cobalt which is basically the same car. I don't understand why a recall has not been made on the HHR.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jul 082014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized and the contact had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Sep 042014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, a warning sound chimed and the power steering light illuminated. The contact merged the vehicle to the side of the road and turned the vehicle off. After five minutes the contact restarted the vehicle and attempted to drive, but the steering wheel had become very difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 154,000.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jul 152014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on the hwy, the steering became "stiff"; a chime sounded and the read-out said "power steering". the steering responded as though the car had been put in neutral and turned. I drive 100 miles a day going to and from work. This may happen once or it may happen several times a day. It has happened in the middle of a turn and a collision was narrowly avoided. This car belongs to my mother, who is 75 years old. I've been driving her so she doesn't have to deal with the problem. She doesn't have the upper arm strength to man-handle the steering, especially when it happens suddenly and unexpectedly. I've found the recall on the 2009-2010 HHR's (letter 14115) and it mentions a "... special coverage (GM bulletin number 14119) that will be implemented for my 2006-2008 and early production of 2009 Chevrolet HHR...". I cannot find details on this bulletin anywhere. My father has ordered the part for the car. Will bulletin 14119 cover reimbursement if he has to pay for the repair out-of-pocket?

- Henryetta, OK, USA

Jul 072014

HHR 4-cyl

Chevy HHR power steering fails at random times and speeds. Becomes progressively worse with time. Seems to be heat sensitive, does it more on hot days after starting a closed up car. Some times happens 4 or 5 times a day, some times much more. Pull over, shut off engine and it resets itself every time. It can be difficult to control on a wet curved expressway ramp when the steering suddenly stops working. The same power steering motor was recalled in Canada for the same defect across the board. It is time GM replaced these motors and quit playing around.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 022014

HHR 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Chevy HHR with the same problem thousands of people are having. The power steering just quits! there is a recall for different models of cars with the same bad part number as mine. Why aren't all cars with this same power steering motor recalled. The car isn't the issue the bad part is. There should be a recall of all cars with this part currently installed.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

May 152014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The power steering light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Jul 192014

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering goes out intermittently and is very hard to steer but when you shut the car off and turn it back on it works. I have had this situation happen on sharp curves and it is not fun! someone at GM needs to recall these cars, not just some of the 2007 models. I took it to my local GM dealership and they wanted to charge me $123 to diagnose it, not going to happen! I have read several posts that say that the power steering has a lifetime warranty on the power steering pumps, I will have to call them to find out!

- West Paducah, KY, USA

Jun 122014

HHR 4-cyl

My power steering goes off, I pull over and turn the car off then the power steering works for a short time. This happens anywhere from 2 to 6 times a day.my local dealer says my car doesn't have a recall only the 2009 -2010. This doesn't seem right to me. If it's a defect in the -2010 shouldn't it be a defect in my 2007?

- Kuna, ID, USA

Aug 222014

HHR

HHR was idling, and in park. Moved vehicle a short distance and parked to load item into vehicle. When re-entered the HHR to drive away, noticed the power steering message in the console area and the 'assist' was no longer functioning. When having the dealer look at this the following morning, they informed me that it was shown to be a re-call problem as listed in document #3972684, indicating that this condition may exist in HHR's with model years from 2006-2010.

- West Desmoines, IA, USA

Aug 212014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the steering wheel became hard to turn and the steering warning light illuminated. The steering wheel resumed normal function after restarting the vehicle. The manufacturer advised the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Sumter , SC, USA

Apr 032014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering goes out intermittently. This is the same symptom as the recall on the 2009-2010 HHR but the 2007 HHR was not included in the recall.

- Washington, MI, USA

Aug 202014

HHR

Power steering goes out while driving. This is a recall item on the 2008 model year, needs to be a recall on 07-08 years also. Inside door handles brake, making it impossible to get out of the call without rolling down the windows. Both are broken on my car. Been to many Chevy HHR forums and this is a common problem. If you lose power you can not get out of the car.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Aug 162014

HHR 4-cyl

My son is just learning how to drive and we were in a parking lot practicing. We heard a ding and then there was an error message saying service power steering. We had lost power steering. We shut the car off and back on and it was ok for just two more turns then gave us an error message again. I know GM issued a recall N140115 for some years and models and then a service bulletin number 14119 which states my year. When I called Chevy to get clarification they said my VIN number did not qualify for this. If all of these other years are having the same issue why do they not qualify"?" the service bulletin just states non turbo engine which I do not have. Below paragraph is form GM's web site. So why do some of us have to pay for this problem and others do not. In addition, 309,160 non-turbocharged Chevrolet Hhrs from the 2006-2008 model years (and several hundred 2009 models) and 96,324 Saturn ions from the 2003 model year that are not subject to these recalls will be given lifetime warranties for replacement of the electronic power steering motor. GM bulletin 14119 covers the following cars where GM dealers will replace the power steering motor for the life of the vehicle. 2006-2008 and early production of 2009 Chevrolet HHR (non-turbo) 2003 Saturn ion.

- Milliken, CO, USA

Aug 162014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering warning chimed and displayed on dash and all power steering went away making vehicle hard to steer.

- Sulophur Springs , TX, USA

Aug 082014

HHR

The power steering feels stiff not able to make right turns without the stiffness. Power steering lights constantly on since this problem occurred. My power steering is electrical and for some reason I believed that the ignition recall my have something to do with this not sure.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Aug 132014

HHR 4-cyl

On 8/12/2014, I had the recalled ignition switch replaced on my 2007 HHR. On 8/13/2014, while driving into the parking lot of an out of town mall, my power steering went out and the power steering warning message came up.I pulled over and turned the engine off. I then restarted the engine and the steering was fine. I drove directly to my dealer and explained what had happened. They said that there had been recalls on the steering assist motors but he did not think they were on my model year. He looked it up and said mine was not included. He said if they had one in stock he could have one installed the next day at my expense. I had the new motor installed on 8/14/2014, but after reading all the complaints from other 2007 HHR owners, I feel that this should have been a recall replacement. I was not willing to take the risk of my or my wife's" safety.

- Lexington, NC, USA