Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

Jan 012014

HHR

During driving at any speed the power steering goes out. It happens at any speed. Once car is pulled over into parking lot shut off then restarted it works fine for 12 seconds to several minutes. It will go a couple of days without problem then it will have the problem for several days. On 4/23/14 it went out on a S turn almost causing a wreck. I had a friend with me at the time. GM has bulletin 14119 stating it will replace power steering for life of vehicle but dealership states it is not recalled and will do nothing. I have video of it doing exactly what the recall for the 2009 and 2010 model. Does one of my children or family members have to die from this problem before GM will fix it? the internet is full of the same problem from plenty of owners of the 2007 HHR.

- Westwego, LA, USA

Apr 012014

HHR

I have been experiencing problems with this vehicle every since I got it. Now with me reading these recalls come to find out this car is not safe at all. When I get to 60mph my car shakes. I thought it was the brakes but I have brand new brake put on. It still shakes when trying to ride on the highway. Is anyone else having these issues?

- Euclid , OH, USA

Nov 012012

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact also mentioned that the headlights and instrumental panel lights intermittently failed and the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was not able to diagnose the failures. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Waycross, GA, USA

Mar 052014

HHR

I was driving my car and my steering wheel got very hard to steer. I heard a ding and looked down to see power steering. I think GM should recall these, if it is the same issue as it was in the Saturn. I have to turn my car off at every stop sign because my power steering goes out about 4 or 5 times a day, this is dangerous and I can't afford to get fixed. I live paycheck to pay check and I'm very upset that Chevy put a product out on the market with defects like this. Makes me question about my next purchase. Very unhappy customer.

- Haubstadt, IN, USA

Apr 212014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, an unknown warning indicator illuminated with the sound of a chime and there was an immediate loss of power steering. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 146,000.

- West Branch, MI, USA

Nov 122013

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering no longer works after the car has been in motion for about 5 seconds. It started occasionally in December 2013, then by January it happens every single time the car is turned on and driven. It makes the car difficult to turn around corners or at intersections and almost impossible to park at very slow speeds. Sometimes I have to turn the car off and then back on again for the few good seconds of power steering just to quickly park it or maneuver. Sometimes this does become dangerous if I have to avoid something at a moments notice. My car is a 2007 HHR and not part of the official recall, but I do not believe that should make any difference if there is a systemic pattern of failure with this feature in Chevy Hhrs.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 152012

HHR 4-cyl

The electric power steering motor on my HHR failed close to this date while being driven down our street at around 25 mph and I had to have it replaced. I didn't think much about the failure at the time but now I see electric power steering motor failures are the reason for a current recall. My HHR wasn't part of the recall but I wonder if it's motor also has a problem. My mechanic used a 19257876 motor kit for the repair. A google search for this part shows the following applications. Chevrolet cobalt 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Chevrolet HHR 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Chevrolet HHR 5 door high roof H/B 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Chevrolet HHR 5 door uplevel high roof H/B 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Pontiac G5 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Pontiac pursuit 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Saturn ion 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 202014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the power steering light illuminated while she drove approximately 30-35 mph. The contact had to turn the steering wheel with force. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer advised the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,000.

- Pleasantville, NJ, USA

Mar 242014

HHR 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevy HHR. I've had the fuel pump replaced. But not many others. Until now there is a chime and the power steering indicator on the dash comes on and the power steering assist goes off. At first it was once in awhile. Now I can drive 30 seconds to 10 min and the power assist goes out. I restart and it comes back for a moment or so. All the way to work no power steering assist. On the way home it worked fine. I can't find any pattern to it. Key in the ignition only as stated in the recall notice I received about the power steering going out. Everything on the key chain it seems to work more often than not. I have contacted a Chevy dealership and Chevy. But since my VIN is not on the power steering recall I will have to pay for it out of pocket. Which I do not have the money after I did my taxes. This is obviously an issue and needs to be fixed. I found a notice on the GM website that listed the 2006-2007 HHR to have lifetime warranty on the power steering. But since there is no recall on it I am out of luck. I sent the article to the Chevy dealership and they won't do anything because the VIN isn't listed. As far as I am concerned this should be covered. Far too many people have had this issue fo it not to be covered to some extent.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 012007

HHR 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice and power steering problems. The consumer stated he had three accidents. The first accident, he hit a light pole and damaged the right side of the vehicle, the second accident, he hit a tree and the third accident, someone backed into him. The consumer stated the air bag did not deploy, in any of the accidents. The consumer felt he lost power steering in the first two accidents. Since December 2010, the steering light would illuminate. Also, the consumer experienced problems with the shifter as the vehicle was difficult to shift when first starting out; it was difficult to shift from park to drive. Updated 07/03/14 updated 08/07/14

- Haines City, FL, USA

Apr 022014

HHR

The car lost the power steering ability and was very hard to steer. I pulled the vehicle over. Stopped and restarted and began to drive ok. The car seems to be randomly losing the power steering ability.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 032010

HHR 4-cyl

In Aug of 2010 I replaced the ignition switch cylinder. The key was stuck in the ignition and I could not remove it without replacing. In Jan 2012 power steering went out and key in ignition again I took to GM dealer on a recall notice, but apparently not my VIN so I had to pay $320 out of pocket to fix. 4-2014 my power steering has been out multiple times usually can repair by replacing the fuse. But this time I have been driving for 4 months without power steering and replacing fuse does not fix. Waiting on parts for recall but none available yet. Also my inside passenger door handle broke 1 yr ago and cannot open door from the inside. I have know that this has happened in at least 4 other HHR owners cars also.

- Sandusky, OH, USA

Mar 142014

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while turning at 20 mph, steering wheel became very hard to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 05/28/14 MA updated 06/02/2014

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Mar 112014

HHR

I was informed by mail that my vehicle was recalled and I was to contact GM to fix the issue but I don't know where to go they have not contacted my back concerning this issue. I do not know what else to do.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Apr 152010

HHR

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving at no particular speed the vehicle lost power steering without warning and the steering wheel was hard to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced in order to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Howard, PA, USA

Apr 122012

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact heard a popping noise intermittently when moving the steering wheel at various speeds. The contact took his vehicle to an independent mechanic for diagnosis; however, the dealer advised him to replace the electric power steering box. The vehicle was repaired and the failure persisted. The vehicle was not repaired again. The dealer stated there was no recall for the defective part. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The mileage was 87,000.

- Pound , VA, USA

Mar 162014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on a wet road at 30 to 35 miles per hour. The car shuts off when I topped a small hill and I lost all power. No place to pull off the road. I placed the car in park and turn the key to off and restarted. The engine light came on and the message displayed was engine power reduction. I drove 20 to 25 miles per hour to my destination the car would only go 30 miles per hour and the car shifted roughly and jumped. A nice guy there, turned the key to the on position 3 times before the engine light would go off. Called dealership and they said bring it in, I already had the recall letter and ask him if it could be related to the recall (as I am on a fixed income) he said no and it would cost $150 I have not had any other episodes and I hope I don't it was very scary. Glad I was going slow and not a busy road. I had previously removed the key fob and was only using my ignition key as per the recall letter instruction. Waiting for the next letter for the recall and hope the fix prevents it from happening again.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Nov 212013

HHR 4-cyl

On March 27, 2014, while driving at the speed of 45mph, the steering wheel became hard to turn. This is the third time of this particular incident. The first incident happened around November 2013. Each time the vehicle was taken to a Chevrolet dealer to be fixed. Now I have noticed the coolant temperature displaying under the mileage panel of 95 to 200 degrees.

- Florence, AL, USA

Mar 112014

HHR

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated as the steering wheel became very hard to steer. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Feb 142014

HHR

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,475.

- Portland, MI, USA