Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

Sep 192011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the ignition would not shut off. The battery and fuel pump fuse had to be disconnected in order to shut the vehicle down. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic that located the failure at the ignition lock and cylinder. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced. The manufacturer advised the contact that the failure was not recalled and the warranty did not cover the ignition failure. The failure mileage was 71,426 and the current mileage was 71,726.

- Valley Springs, CA, USA

Aug 282011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. While parked, the contact attempted to remove the key from the ignition but the key would not disengage and the contact was unable to shut the vehicle off. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostics but was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 44,250.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Aug 292011

HHR

The contact owns 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the key would not remove from the ignition. As a result, the contact was unable to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer to have the failure diagnosed. The contact also stated that a faulty ignition switch was a common failure among this year, make, and model. The failure mileage was 76,000.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Aug 292011

HHR 4-cyl

This is a complaint against the Chevrolet HHR which seems to be prone to not turning off when the key is in the ignition. No matter how hard I tried or what I tried I could not turn the key to shut the car off. My neighbor had to turn the car off by disconnecting something under the hood. The car had to be towed to the dealer. During my research on the internet there seems to be a lot of people having the same problem. Some of them even state that the button on the gear shift that you have to push in to change gears sticks.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Aug 242011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated the ignition key failed to turn the vehicle off and the vehicle was stuck in the on position. The contact removed a fuse in order to shut the vehicle off, and have it towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer, but the manufacturer was contacted regarding the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 55,000.

- Salt Lake City, MD, USA

Jul 072011

HHR

On May 26th of 2011, I bought a 2009 Chevy HHR. Actual miles was 43K. It now has 45K. I have not even made my first payment on the car when I experienced a problem. On July 7 after I arrived at work, I put the car in park and the key would not turn to shut the engine off. I had to disconnect the battery to shut the engine off so I could finish my work day. Got the car home and had to disconnect the battery again. When I contacted a Chevy dealership and spoke with the service personnel about my car not shutting off, he said, ¿let me guess, the key is stuck in the ignition¿" I said yes and he quoted the price would be 3 or 4 hundred dollars to fix it. On July 8th, we had to have the car towed to a Chevy dealership. Even the tow truck driver knew about the problem and said, ¿that is one of the reasons we have to tow in the Hhrs¿. on July 7th pm, I got on the internet and discovered that I was not the only one to experience this problem with the key stuck in the ignition. There have been many complaints about this. To my understanding, Chevy knows about this problem but has failed to put out a recall. I do not have a lot of money. I am on a tight budget as many people are. I had to borrow the money to get the car fixed. It is a shame the quality of making a car has gone down hill. I think that Chevy should fix this problem so that it does not reoccur again. I also think that people should be reimbursed for the money that they have had to spend on getting this problem fixed. So, my question for you is, how many complaints must it take for you to address this problem and issue out a recall" Chevy should ¿man up¿ and take responsibility for this problem.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 012011

HHR 4-cyl

I arrived home at 2:30am and my car would not turn off. The keys were stuck in the ignition. I had it towed to the dealership that night. The service department called me in the morning to inform me that this is not covered under warranty. I have been on the phone all morning trying to get this issue resolved. Still no resolve!!!

- La Habra, CA, USA

Jun 112011

HHR

Key stuck in the on position, couldn't shut off engine. Took HHR to repair shop.

- Walnut, CA, USA

May 212011

HHR

The keys are stuck in the ignition of the car. We have tried to used the release button under the steering column to no avail. The car remains running. We have to unhook the battery and take out a fuse to get the car shut off. We have two small children and this is our only car. The dealership wanted to charge us to fix this, when clearly it is the fault of Chevrolet. Our keys have been stuck since Saturday, May 21, 2011. Today is Monday, May 23, 2011 and the keys are still in the car.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Apr 212011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that when parking the vehicle and shifting into park, the keys would become stuck in the ignition and the engine was unable to be turned off. The contact spoke with the dealer who recommended bringing the vehicle in for diagnostic testing. The contact was able to remove the keys from the ignition with the assistance of a tow truck driver and the vehicle was towed to the dealer where the contact was awaiting repairs. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Apr 072011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the key would not move when she attempted to turn the vehicle off. The contact mentioned that in order to turn the vehicle off she had to disconnected the battery and the fuse that was connected to the fuel pump. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was currently working on a diagnosis. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 40,000.

- Manchester, TN, USA

Apr 032011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the ignition key would not turn to the off position after several attempts. The engine remained on until the ignition switch was disconnected. The vehicle was not repaired for the malfunction. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Dublin, VA, USA

Mar 082011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the ignition key would not release from the ignition switch. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they repaired the vehicle. The failure mileage was 47,940.

- West Palm Beach , FL, USA

Dec 132010

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the key remained stuck in the ignition and the contact was unable to shut off the vehicle. The vehicle was left with the engine running overnight. The next morning, the vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was advised that the ignition switch and the solenoid in the steering column had failed. The failed components were no longer listed under warranty and the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 40,536.

- Frankford, KY, USA

Sep 152010

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact attempted to shut the vehicle off but the ignition would not respond. The contact had to disconnect the battery. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was being repaired at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were approximately 43,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jun 262010

Electrical.

- Bedford , OH, USA

Jul 022010

HHR

I arrived at a friends house and went to turn my car off and guess what the cart would not shut off and the key would not come out, so I called the roadside asst since my car is under warranty and they told me to make it home and give them a call back and they would send a tow truck out time went on and one never showed up, the tow truck driver told road side that the dealer did not have a drop box for service, I kind of find that hard to believe, this has ruined my whole holiday weekend, I cant go anywhere.

- Ripley, TN, USA

Jun 192010

HHR

Saturday afternoon, 19 June 2010. Parked vehicle, could not turn ignition switch off. Ran through all the gears and back to park, still the same, could not turn vehicle off. Had to leave vehicle running while I phoned to find a Chevrolet dealer that provided sat. Service - luckily one in the jacx fl area. Told them of problem and was advised to bring vehicle right away so they could repair, which they did. Would assume that this is a know problem with the vehicle as they had the part in stock to replace right away. My experience has been that if it is a new/unknown problem they will not have part in stock and have to order before making repairs. This is a very serious situation! had a dealer not been available on a sat. Afternoon, I have no idea what I would have done. Probably disconnected the battery in hopes of shutting down the engine, without hopefully damaging the computer module. Any way you look at it this, it is not a good situation.

- Mount Dora, FL, USA

Mar 162010

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact was examining the vehicle and noticed that the battery had died. After replacing the battery the contact noticed that the speedometer, odometer, and electronic traction control would no longer function. The dealer has not diagnosed the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Jul 082009

HHR

Car has intermittent headlight failure, interior lights on instruments and radio dim, go completely out and then pop back on. This happens randomly. I drive to work in the dark and the lights have gone completely out and will not turn on when it rains and the law says they should be on. Took to the dealer and they replaced part of the wiring. When this did not fix the problem I have taken the car back a total of 4 times and the dealer keeps telling me that they can not duplicate the problem so there is no problem other than me. General Motors called about the service I have received and they continue to do nothing about the problem.

- Inver Grove Hts, MN, USA