Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

Apr 042018

HHR

For approximately 6 months when I start my 2009 Chevy HHR panel, the air bag warning light comes on. It does not go out while driving. The warning light does not always come on as it is an intermittent issue. It only comes on at starting never while driving. I am very concern that the air bag is not operating properly. I found that GM did a limited recall on a connector. My vehicle did not come up for a recall.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Sep 242018

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR equipped with cooper ultra touring ht tires (na). While driving approximately 60 mph, the rear driver's side tire blew out. The contact stated that the air bag indicator illuminated and the tire pressure monitoring system indicated that the tire pressure was decreasing. In addition, there was a recurring failure of tread separation with the replacement tires over the course of two months. A dealer was not made aware of the failures. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures through several voice messages by the contact. The tire size, dot number, VIN, and tire failure mileage were unknown. The vehicle failure mileage was approximately 108,000.

- Woodington, OH, USA

Aug 012017

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. While driving 60 mph with the cruise control activated, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, but the vehicle failed to accelerate and remained in first gear. In addition, the air bag, traction control, and check engine indicators illuminated. The vehicle was serviced per manufacturer recall number: 08016. The vehicle was taken to an unknown dealer where it was diagnosed that there was an air bag failure. The vehicle was repaired, but the contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same symptoms. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 191,000.

- Paris, TX, USA

Aug 282018

HHR

My airbag light keeps coming on and off to get serviced. My warranty is ran out so I don't have the money to get it fixed. What can I do?

- Douglass, TX, USA

Mar 122018

HHR

Service airbags detection comes on the dash but it doesn┐T say drivers or passenger could this possibly deflate while driving? dealerships says no recall

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Dec 102017

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. While driving at an unspecified rate of speed, the curtain air bags deployed with force on the driver's and front passenger sides. The driver's hearing was impacted for days after the air bag deployment. A head injury was sustained and the air bags had to be maneuvered for the driver to exit the vehicle. Medical treatment was not received. The vehicle was not diagnosed; however, ourisman Chevrolet of bowie (16610 governor bridge rd, bowie, md 20716, (301) 262-7600) was contacted. The vehicle was parked at the contact's residence. The manufacturer was to investigate the failure to determine what caused the air bags to deploy. A police report was not filed. The contact and the driver were waiting for a response from the manufacturer pertaining to the failure and to address NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and 14V171000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Berwyn Heights, MD, USA

Nov 142017

HHR

Air bag light came on which effects the seat belt

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 292016

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the connector module needed to be rewired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Midvale, UT, USA

Aug 162016

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. While the vehicle was stationary, the check air bag indicator illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed as needing a new passenger side air bag. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 102016

HHR

Airbag light comes on when the interior temperature rise, after the interior cool down the light goes off. I have to turn the air condition on high to cool down the interior temperature to get the light to go out.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102009

HHR

The contact owned a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel seized without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the head, a fractured arm, and a fractured femur that required medical attention. The contact also stated that on several occasions, the vehicle failed to start. The contact stated that the reverse gear failed to engage when the shift selector was placed into the reverse position. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,285.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Dec 132015

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. While driving 45 mph, the contact noticed that the air bag warning light became illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not repaired. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 282015

HHR

I have a 2009 HHR and I have been having a number of problems the ESC and the ABS warning lights come at low speeds around 5 to 15 mph and the brakes make a growling noise I drive 80 miles a day back and forth to work in stop and go traffic on the interstate and the turnpike I am afraid I will rear end somebody or worse I don't want to let my wife drive the car because when it occurs she might not know on to react. When I turn the car off and it goes away for a while but comes back. And the service air bag light comes on from time to time when it is raining or heavy dew I had the recall performed on the air bags and it still is happening the passenger air bag display on the dash will come on when there is no one sitting in the passenger seat. The service ABS light also comes on at the same time as the ESC and the traction control light I don't feel safe I have 179,000 miles on the car the electrical system in this car has a major problem and it needs to be addressed by GM before more people are hurt or killed as I have read in other comments I don't want to take it to the dealer and just go thru the remove and replace tango trying to get lucky and fix the problem or play car doctor and treat the symptoms and not address the malady

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Nov 172015

HHR

I have found through research that there has been a recall previously due to the airbag lights, apparently this was never fixed in our car. We bought the car this past December. The light comes on even when no one is in the passenger seat and now the light and system says that we need to service the airbags.

- Inman, SC, USA

Jul 132015

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the contact crashed into a telephone pole, but the air bags did not deploy. The contact was injured, but no medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The failure was not determined. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,900.

- Fortworth, TX, USA

Aug 102015

HHR 4-cyl

Random drivers curtain airbag deployment. No reason to happen

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Mar 072012

HHR

Shortly after we purchased our 2009 HHR we received a air bag warning light. It was resolved however we have had three additional problems with air bag lights coming on including one that we were charged for repair. Then we learned that our car was on a national air bag recall and took it to a Chevy dealer for repair. Dealer has been unable to get the light to turn off and have been told it is a sensor but they can't find which one is the problem. The dealer is priority Chevrolet in chesapeake. We are very worried about this problem especially since our history of problems with this issue. As of today 5/31/2015 we are still in same position with air bag warning light stuck on. We want to sell this lemon but no one will buy it with that light on.

- Va Beach, VA, USA

Apr 282015

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden the service airbag warning light came on as well as the warning chime. I purchased the car used in August 2013, and soon after getting it the very same warning came on. I went back to the dealer and they had it sent to a local GM dealer to be fixed. I purchased the car from a Dodge and Subaru dealer and they were not able to do the repair. I was shown the repair paperwork stating that a faulty airbag sensor was replaced. Well just last week the very same thing happened again. The service airbag light comes on then goes off sometimes after only a few seconds. Then another warning light went on stating faulty air pressure sensor. The check engine light is on as well so I'm wondering if there is some type of electrical gremlin in the car. This is extremely frustrating because I like the car but all of these stupid little issues make me want to trade it in, and never buy anything made by GM ever again.

- Shiremanstown, PA, USA

Mar 132015

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part needed to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sulken, NJ, USA

Oct 062014

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the dealer was contacted in reference to NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (electrical system), 14V171000 (electrical system), and 14V153000 (steering). The contact indicated that the warning lamp illuminated for the air bag and remained lit. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and was unable to provide a reasonable date to perform the recall repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA