Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

Jun 232013

HHR

On 6-23-2013 driving on the highway and while attempting to may a right hand turn my power steering on my 09 Chevy HHR failed without warning, this failure almost cause me to hit another car that was stopped and waiting to merge on the highway, I pulled to the shoulder of the road to check because the power steering warning light was on in the dash lights, finding nothing wrong under hood I restarted the car without any problems or warning lights on and drive home. The next day while returning from work on the interstate the power steering warning light returned on the dash with a loss of steering only by forcing the steering wheel to the right or left to make a turn or lane change, after I arrived home I got on the internet to see where my fill tank was for my power steering and learned that my HHR has electronic assist steering but I also learned that my car has been reported by numerous people across the country with the same problem with power steering units on the HHR, some with near death accidents, "wow". I know my wife or daughter could not handle this car when the power steering goes out without warning so this vehicle is being parked until I can get a full test on the unit.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 122013

HHR 4-cyl

Called the Chevy dealer, told me that it was Friday and to call first thing Monday morning. As I continued on freeway I realized that the ride was rougher, something was very wrong. To steer was harder, trip odometer both were not working, cruise control would not engage, speedometer was not working, transmission not shifting easily, pulled into Chevy dealer, found the service manager. Asked him to check the car, hours on sign stated that someone would available until 5:30. It was currently 4:50 pm. He assured me that is was safe to drive care: Pulled out of dealership, transmission would not shift at all. Engine light came on turned around, went back. He was just leaving to go home it was 5:10 at this time. When he saw me he got out of his car, came over, I told him the increased changes and why I turned around:I had my 80 year old aunt with me I live 14 miles outside of town it was Friday afternoon I did not want to make matters worse by driving this car say an accident or doing more damage to the repairs needed. He put it on the analysis scope he said he had mixed messages. One was it said power steering but with the wrong code. After that there was nothing that showed up. He again assured me that we would be fine! I pulled out of the dealership, drove 2 miles, then was coasting! had no transmission. Pulled over to side of road, turned off the engine sat for a few minutes, restarted continued down the highway with my flashers on. It would not shift higher than second gear.we limped to a friends house parked the car, they gave us a ride home. What would have happened if I had continued down that road. Please help.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

Jun 132012

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated it became difficult to turn the steering wheel and was forced to increase the effort in order to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Groffe Pointe, MI, USA

May 212012

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving my HHR on a state road at 50mph when the power steering message came on and the power steering quit. If I would have been in a curve, I would have wrecked. I found the nearest safe spot to pull off the road and turned my car off and restarted it and it came back on. Since this episode I have had multiple episodes with this problem. I only drive about 500 miles per month and that is too may times for the steering to go out.

- Hamlin, WV, USA

Feb 012013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving at various speeds the power steering goes out making the difficult to control. I did research only to find that many other HHR owners experienced the same issue and several other Chevy models were recalled for the same issue. The Chevy dealer verified that the issue I was having (failure of the power steering motor) was the same issue seen in many other Chevy models. Chevy would not fix it and washed their hands of it. This has happened at various speeds. Restarting the car temporarily fixes it.

- St. Robert, MO, USA

May 172013

HHR

I bought my HHR in September of 2012. The first issue I had with it has left me very concerned about future issues. The electric power steering failed while I had both of my small children with me in the middle of rush hour. Most frustrating is to research this matter just to find that GM is aware of the issue and has recalled the exact same part in their cobalt but has failed to carry it through their product line.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

May 152013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed intermittently. The power steering assist warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,325. The current mileage was 57,350.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mar 182013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed several times. The failure recurred randomly and without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The current mileage was 121,965. The failure mileage was not available.

- Moriarty, NM, USA

May 182011

HHR 4-cyl

This is my 2nd HHR first was great this is horrible. First problem was my locking mechanism on drivers side would not work. After the third time in the dealership they changed out the lock mechanism. Then I started having problems with my window not rolling down and my dash light going out for a period of 2-3 seconds. They fixed the window but could never find out what was going on with the dash. Then my airbag service light started coming on I had to take in twice for this incident. My steering problem started when I took my son in to do his driving test and all of a sudden it became very difficult to turn. We parked the car gave it a few minutes and started driving again, did the test and on the way home it happened again. We have just had to many problems with this vehicle.

- Willis , TX, USA

Apr 282013

HHR 4-cyl

Electrical power steering assist motor failed and is now in operable. It happened right in the middle of driving down the freeway. The car can barely be turned, and is extremely dangerous to drive.

- Sausalito, CA, USA

Apr 252012

HHR 4-cyl

I have a 2009 HHR the power steering goes out while in motion if you stop the vehicle and turn off it will have power steering again for a while the same thing happens.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Mar 012013

HHR

The power steering in my 2009 HHR goes out w/O warning, at various speeds. When it started I contacted my local dealer and Chevy and was led to believe that this was an unusual occurrence. Since then, I have seen hundreds of complaints, similar to mine, dating back to 2006. The power steering motors in these cars are faulty and dangerous and Chevy knows it. They have already recalled the same ones in ions, cobalts, and Malibu and have only failed to recall all of them because they have not yet been made to do so. Hopefully, they will take responsibility for wrecklessly endangering so many trusting consumers and address this issue before someone gets killed, if it hasn't already happened.

- Silver City, NM, USA

Mar 142012

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering would intermittently fail without warning and the steering wheel would become difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist system needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Blockwood , OH, USA

Feb 162013

HHR 4-cyl

My wife drives a 2009 Chevrolet HHR and the power steering will go out sporadically while she is driving. This may occur 1 time or it has happened up to 4 times in 10 mile distance. It has happened at hi speed of 60 mph or when she is in a parking lot doing 5 mph. Each time if she turns the ignition off and restarts the car the power steering is fine.the problem is a faulty electric power steering motor. This puts my wife's and my kids safety at risk. I have found that the Chevrolet HHR's in Canada have been recalled to this faulty motor. Chevrolet cobalt's with the same motor have also been recalled. Why haven't the Chevrolet HHR's been recalled. It is a huge safety risk. I have had to park this car due to it's safety risks.I called dealership and they want $775 to replace this motor. Sounds outrageous to fix a faulty motor that GM is well aware of its problems.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Nov 212012

HHR 4-cyl

Was going around a curve when my power steering light came on. My wheel was very hard to turn. Wasn't so bad when I was driving at higher speeds, but it was almost impossible to turn into my driveway. As soon as I turned off my car and turned it back on it worked fine. I took it in and the dealer said their was an internal problem with the power steering and had to replace the motor.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Apr 172012

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that he had several problems with the vehicle. The failures included the brakes, power steering assist and a foul odor being emitted through the ventilation system. In addition, the driver's side door handle cable fractured and the check engine warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that he took the vehicle to the dealer for the failure of the power steering assist where they advised that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The steering rack was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer because the check engine light was illuminated and they advised that the cam shaft sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the vehicle began to drive roughly afterward. The vehicle was also taken to the dealer for the brake failure, door handle and the exhaust and the technicians stated that they could not duplicate the brake problem or the foul odor that was coming through the exhaust. In addition, the cable in the door handle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Jul 012011

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph she attempted to make a turn when the steering wheel seized making the vehicle very difficult to control. The contact also stated that the service traction control and airbag lights illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was unavailable. The VIN was not available.

- St. Robert, MO, USA

Aug 072012

HHR

I received a power steering failure message on the dash at the same time that I lost power steering while going home from dropping off my child at daycare. I drove home without the power steering, when I shut off the car and restarted it I had power steering again. This power steering failure has happened multiple times on the highway, residential neighborhoods and in parking lots; in total about 10-15 incidents in the last month.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Oct 192012

HHR 4-cyl

We own a Chevrolet HHR which loses power steering almost immediately after turning the car on. We have had many many problems with this car since the beginning. Mainly steering column problems and power steering issues. We almost got into an accident while taking a right at low speed because of how hard the ''power'' (not) steering was. This has to be fixed now!!! it's been a well known problem since the beginning of the HHR line up. How come this issue has been partially recognized and taken care of on some vehicles with the exact part numbers"? cobalt, G5?, anyone". please research this problem.

- Coachella, CA, USA

Oct 032012

HHR 4-cyl

Key stuck in the iginition car still running. Key release doesn't work. Car was left running all night.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA