Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Impala:

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the anti theft warning indicator illuminated. The problem recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure and referred the contact to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 151,000.

- Mundelein , IL, USA

Oct 312014

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while making a left turn, the vehicle stalled without warning causing another vehicle to crash into the driver's side of the contact's vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The rear driver's seat passenger sustained a head injury and bleeding from the mouth which required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Harrogate, TN, USA

Impala

2000 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to a recall and problems with the vehicle starting.

- Walden, NY, USA

Impala

2000 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall #14350.* ld the consumer stated prior to receiving the recall, she experienced several problems with the vehicle, such as: The gas needle stopped working, a loud thumping noise was heard, every time she attempted to start the vehicle. Also, the engine light illuminated, and it wouldn't go off. The repair shop was unable to determine the problem. The consumer was involved in an accident and the air bag did not deploy.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Jan 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while the key was in the start position it could be removed and all of the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition core needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- West Minster, CO, USA

Impala 6-cyl

Follow-up on complaint# 10650094. I have researched this problem, and tried to get assistance from GM with no results other that the run-around. I have explained that the recall of this vehicle and repair that is suggested is not the issue. The ignition is a 2 part switch and the mechanical part of the switch is only part of the problem. The issue in my case is that the electrical part of the switch is what controls the power, brakes, airbag, and all other functions. You need to look at the entire switch assembly. The electrical part is what failed.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mesa , AZ, USA

Oct 022014

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). While entering a residential driveway at approximately 5 mph, the contact turned the steering wheel to the right and heard an abnormal clicking sound coming from the steering column. Immediately, the keys fell from the ignition switch and onto the floorboard. The power steering and brakes became inoperable and the vehicle did not stop until it struck a bed of rocks, which prevented the vehicle from crashing into the house. The ignition switch seized and prevented the key from being inserted into the ignition to start the vehicle. The dealer stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced at the contact's expense of $300, including parts and labor, and an additional $12 for a new set of keys for the replacement ignition switch. The failure mileage was not available.

- Telford , TN, USA

Oct 132014

Impala 6-cyl

I have a car problem wont wanna start and I search online for what wad causing it and it wad the passlock and I found out that im not the only one whith this problem I think its a defect on all this kind of brand of the manufacture I live in Illinois and winter is almost here I dont want to get stock in a midfdle of a winter storm and freeze to death cause of this problem thank you.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

May 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start on the first attempt. The contact had to wiggle the key in order to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Binghampton , NY, USA

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start after using the key fob to unlock the door. The contact made several attempts to turn the key back and forth and was able to restart the vehicle. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), but the parts needed to repair the vehicle were not available. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Hit a pot hole on the highway. Key fell out of the ignition, was able to retrieve the key off the floor and restart the car while driving. I think that my knee may have hit the key knocking it into the accessories position resulting in the key falling out of the ignition. I just left moran Chevrolet in clinton township, mi to have the ignition key recall fix. I notice the key can still be removed in the accessories position. In my opinion all the fix did for GM recall 14350 was add more weight to my key by putting a larger, heavier head on my key. NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Oct 062014

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jul 302014

Impala 6-cyl

Re: date complaint filed: 03/15/2011 component(s): Vehicle speed control date of incident: 03/11/2011 NHTSA id number: 10390238 every once in a while my 2000 Impala with a 3400cc V6 would maintain 50mph with my foot off the gas! the cause is an intermittent malfunction of the tps sensor. It took my Impala 3 years to throw a code and after I replaced the tps, the car's throttle settled down.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Aug 042014

Impala

1.) I can remove the ignition key from the cylinder while the engine is running. When I turn key off and lock door, the lock pops back up because it not in the off position. I get back in and put the key in and turn to the left, even though the car is off, and I can now lock my door. I must always use emergency brake because I don't trust it not to roll when I get out. On 9/29/2014, NHTSA recall #:14V400 GM, recall #:N140350 completed but did not fix the problem. It did nothing that I can tell. " 2014-04-10 GM is aware of several hundred complaints of keys coming out of ignitions. Second repair added to vehicles recalled earlier detroit ?? General Motors informed the NHTSA today that it is adding ignition lock cylinders to its safety recall of 2.2 million older model cars in the United States. The cylinders can allow removal of the ignition key while the engine is running, leading to a possible rollaway, crash and occupant or pedestrian injuries. 2.) car takes a long time and many clicks to start. Turn key, clicking and dash and security lights flash but will not crank, you can turn it over until your fingers go numb, then after you have reach the point of screaming it cranks. Car started doing this just a couple of times a while back and as time went by it takes longer and longer to start or should I say it takes more clicks or many tries and then it will just turn over. The dealer started it faster when I had it in for the recall. 9/28/2014 22 complaints: 2000 Chevrolet Impala car won't start, clicking noise when try.. www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2000/electrical/car_wont_S...

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The contact mentioned that the failure occurred immediately after leaving the dealer from getting the recall repairs. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Portage, IN, USA

May 012013

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would veer to the right and stall without warning. The vehicle would restart temporarily. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. Updated 11/24/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Updated 10/1/2015

- Fairhope, AL, USA

Sep 192014

Impala 6-cyl

Hello I am very concerned about my problem because my Chevy Impala 2000 hasn't working properly I went to the store and I was in the parking lot for a couple hours trying to start my car I call a mechanic I know and told him what was my car doing and he told me that was the passlock theft- deterrent system the mechanic told me to go to the Chevy dealer to have them check it out and so I call the dealer and they told me I have to pay for them to just check it and it was alot of money plus to fix it I was so upset why I have to pay from my pocket if its not my fault I think its a defect on the manufacture car I live in Chicago and winter its around the corner and I don't want this happened to me again when im in the middle of snow storm and below zero and my car wont start again this is not a safe situation I was searching on the web and alot of people have the same problem and all cars are from General Motors corporation please please I need help!!

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Aug 012005

Impala 6-cyl

Upon attempting to start the car, nothing happens when turning the key. Eventually the car will start after a long delay. This occurred intermittently over time, always requiring a long wait (and nothing else) before the car would start - resulting me being late for work or missing important meetings. On reading extensive reports of the very problem on the internet (on many GM years/models), I learned that it is a "safety" feature to prevent the car from being stolen a necessary computer reading of a chip in the key! further reading indicated that (1) this is a very common problem (2) GM charges over $1000 to "fix" the problem (verified by my GM dealer), and (3) the "fix" doesn't work (the problem continues)! eventually the problem disappeared, but has just recently reappeared with a vengeance! I have just learned that a company makes a wiring harness passcode bypass (at $250) that will stop this situation of the car not starting when the key is properly engaged. I can think of few design flaws that are potentially more dangerous (not to mention inconvenient) than having your car randomly refusing to start - for instance late at night in a parking lot or garage when stores are closing or closed - or when attempting to escape from a dangerous situation. This potentially dangerous circumstance far exceeds any benefit from protecting your car from being stolen by using a faulty passcode system. The remedy would be simple and inexpensive for GM to fix by either supplying new firmware to bypass the computer passcode system or even cheaper - the wiring harness passcode bypass currently for sale by an independent vendor.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Aug 282013

Impala

I have been experiencing this issue for over 1 year, but my Impala engine will just stop running while in travel up to 65 mph causing problems with inability to steer, or brake while in traffic. Numerous reports in online searches have indicated that there are many Impala owners that are experiencing the exact same issues, but according to them GM is not doing anything about the issue and those same owners are only paying high service fees at GM dealerships with the problem never being fixed. I suspect that in the future my Impala will be involved in a collision due to this problem, but I have no choice but to drive it as it is.

- Stevenson, AL, USA