Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Impala:

Jun 242014

Impala

I was pulling out of a parking lot and my vehicle suddenly shut off making me loose steering control and almost causing a bad accident. I managed to get the car to a stop and I restarted the ignition. I pulled off and sat in a lot for a few minutes. The next day I had the same problem while merging onto a main highway.

- Elmont, NY, USA

Apr 162014

Impala

My wife went to start the car to move it out of the way and the engine exploded burst into flames, intake manifold was blown into pieces.

- Coolidge, AZ, USA

May 142013

Impala 6-cyl

The blinkers quit working on you, you have to hit the 4 way switch and let it them blink 3 times before your blinkers will work again and there is times it don't work when you do that. Also the driver side seat belt gets jammed.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Aug 232010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while stopped at a red light, the vehicle stalled and was unable to be restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 36,473 and the current mileage was 42,000. Updated 06/10/14 MA the consumer managed to jiggle the key, and she was able to re-start the vehicle. Updated 07/01/14

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 012014

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala that I just bought, when I'm driving it has a burning smell to it and it dropping oilfrom some where. And it runs hot, I have to turn the heat on so the temperature gauge will go down.

- Pontiac , MI, USA

Mar 272013

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning while the contact was driving 70 mph. The contact attempted to start the vehicle however, the anti-theft security light illuminated and prevented the vehicle from being started. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The current mileage was 100,000 and the failure mileage was 130,000.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Mar 312014

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, dark grey smoke started to emit from the engine compartment. The contact mentioned that the ABS warning illuminated and seconds after noticing the smoke, flames started to emit from under the hood. The fire department was contacted who verified that the failure was due to an electrical failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileage was 108,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 072014

Impala 6-cyl

I have had this car since it was new. In 2008 it died on my wife, luckily she was able to pull over to the side of the road. To make a long story short she has never drove it since. I have spent about a $1000 bucks trying to find out what is going on. It will start up after you get stopped and put it in park. I have took it to the Chevy dealer and left it with them and it never acts up so they are not any help. You never know when it is going to die on you so you must always drive in the right lane so you can pull over. You loose power steering and power brakes. I have called GM and ask them about it but they just say there is not a recall on my car.after watching tv about all the GM cars that are dyeing I think my car is doing the same thing. I think it is the key switch. I like the old car and would like to keep it but I'm about scared to drive it.I am 68 years old now and don't have so much get up and go as I once had.

- Alexander, AR, USA

Mar 082008

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated and became unresponsive. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the ignition switch was replaced. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 82,897.

- Brewster, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Impala

Saw recent GM recall for Chevy cobalt, Saturn, etc. Regarding engine dying unexpectedly while driving on the road (bad ignition switch). My Impala has the same symptom and if you search the internet for "why does Impala die while driving" it is a common problem for this model. My Impala will be running smooth, speed from 30 to 60, but slowing down for any reason, sometimes the engine just dies. This is especially dangerous when slowing down for a turn. All of a sudden no power steering and limited brakes. This is a very dangerous situation, I don't want to drive the car. There is no indication like rough engine or the car stumbling from lack of gas, it just quietly dies. If this ignition switch is the cause, this recall should be expanded to include Impala's at least. I called the local Chevrolet dealer and they basically said, well it's a 14 year old car. Not the point! my older cars don't do this. Search the internet, people have tried many things but the problem seems to persist. Chevrolet has to know what the problem is.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Dec 232013

Impala 6-cyl

Driving freeway speeds around 60 car shuts of very dangers. Then car started back after 10min.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Jul 082013

Impala 6-cyl

The car has a problem with the passlock/BCM system. I have tried numerous times to fix the problem with the car. The BCM needs replacement it is a very known and common problem that GM is well aware of. The passlock system in the ignition cylinder will either go bad or short out and then the BCM will see it as the car is being stolen and then shut down the fuel injections and the starter preventing the car from being started. I am so sick and tired of doing the relearn of the BCM/ignition so that I can start my damn car. The needs to be a major recall on the Chevy line with the pass lock II system installed in it!!!!!!

- Springfield, MO, USA

Feb 262013

Impala 6-cyl

My battery was dead, so I put a battery charger on the battery, then went to start the car. I turned the key for about three revolutions and then the car exploded! I wasn't sure what happened because I was sitting inside the car and there was snow on the windshield. I got out and there was plastic parts all around the car, and there were flames coming from the motor!

- North Pole, AK, USA

Aug 222012

Impala

I purchased my brother-in-law's car in March. In August, while I was parked outside a friend's home, the car caught fire. No one was in the car and the keys were with me. After online investigation, we found that the car had a recall on it in 2009. My brother-in-law was never notified so neither were we. Our first step was to contact GM who said there was nothing they planned on doing about this. We contacted the BBB who also contacted GM. GM then called us and again said there was nothing they could do. I feel there is plenty they can do. What about if my daughter and I had been in the car" how about if I had needed time off from work" I had to purchase another vehicle I was not prepared to purchase. We have the recall information, pictures from the fire, and a letter from GM if you are interested. I feel there must be some sort of compensation for this. The recall was because of their mess up in the factory and they failed to notify my brother-in-law. If GM had done what they were supposed to do, the fire would never have happened.

- Auburn, ME, USA

Oct 092012

Impala

Driving along and security light came on and car died. Waited some time after pulling over and car started sometimes car will not start right away because of security light this is random and very annoying as you do not know when the car is going to die. Dealer wants to replace parts that are very expensive and I did this once before (out of warranty) and can't see doing it again if this is not a fix.

- Hhazlet, NJ, USA

Jul 272012

Impala 6-cyl

As I was pulling into traffic on a major highway....the car stalled and I was almost taken out by a semi......twice!!!!!!!! this car should be fixed by GM due to the passlock problem which was my original problem...the BCM was replaced and reprogrammed now this stalling and the air not working is not only unfair but unsafe. Paid alot of money for my car to come back unsafe.....and I have talked to numerous owners of these cars....don't matter how much or who U pay to reprogram...still same problem.

- Merritt Island , FL, USA

May 192010

Impala

My 2000 Chevy Impala decides not to start on some days. At first, it was very infrequent and now its happening more and more often. When I turn the key to start my car, the only thing that happens is the security light turns on. After about 10 minutes the my car suddently starts up again. From what I read online and on youtube, this problem is notorious with a lot of GM vehicles. Not a lot of mechanics know what the problem is and I dont have the time or money to have it serviced multiple times. I do not understand why there has not been a recall for this obvious malfunction. I know that my next car will not be a GM.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Nov 282011

Impala 6-cyl

While driving this car it would just stall or die as if someone had reached over and shut the car off and would not start for a few days. I have brought this car to two mechanics and neither were able to stop the problem but told me that different parts were the culprit, so 800 dollars later I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, crank shaft position sensor, mass air flow sensor, replaced the battery, tested the alternator, tested the fuel injectors both hot and cold, tested the ignition module and still the car died leaving my child and I stranded on the side of the freeway in cold temperatures. I then called a GM dealership whom said another $120 just to look at it and said they couldn't find the problem. This is outrageous!

- Pine City , MN, USA

Sep 062011

Impala

Car will not start. It appears to be the passlock system. Need to wait for system to reset and it will start. This seems to be a common problem with this car and many other GM vehicles. This should be a recall.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Jun 162011

Impala 6-cyl

No warning, no event leading up to the failure. 2000 Chevy Impala ls 3.8 stalls constantly. No check engine light comes on, so there is no way to know what is causing this. Seems to be a common problem all over just look it up on the internet, don't know why this is not a recall, it is very dangerous. I was traveling 70 mph in the fast lane on a major highway and the car just stalled, also stalled at a red light, also stalled traveling at about 10 mph and at 30 mph (almost rear-ended on both occasions). Chevy does not have an answer, Chevy mechanic told me this has been a common problem with all GM cars for years. Why is this not known to the public? they replaced the thermostat and it stalled about a mile down the road. Now they will try replacing the crankshaft position sensor but will not guarantee that this will solve the problem. Next they would try the mass air sensor. This is a known common problem that could be catastrophic if it happened at the wrong time. I know, I was almost killed on that major highway that day.

- West Orange, NJ, USA