Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Impala:

Jun 012006

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the anti theft system was faulty. When he inserted the key into the ignition, it did not recognize the key and the vehicle would not start. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 93,000 and the failure mileage was 81,000.

- Newport, KY, USA

Mar 032011

Impala 6-cyl

Security light flashing, wont start or if it starts the radio and all cluster gauges wont work.

- Upton, KY, USA

Feb 082009

• 2,573,302 miles
Bought 2000 Chevy Impala on Feb 8,2009, and have had multiple really bad problems. Bad shake in front end, pulls to right really bad, has sevear cooling problems, turn signal failure more then working, gear shift problems, air bubbles backing up in coolant bottle, low coolant light always on, check engine ight always on major oil leakage under car body not on ground. Loss of coolant but no idea where its going. Serging problem in electrical system, and wiring conections and plugs not connected to anything. Icnition problems key wont stay in and can be pulled out with car running.have replaced radiator, all hoses, all gaskets, thermistate, water pump, belts, done tuneup, oil change, done brakes, replaced sencers, battery, and other things. Im pissed and very angry with Chevy and GM for all the problems they have with there vehicals and not fixing the problems.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 012004

Impala

2000 Impala does not always start. Security issues not allowing start until at least 15 mins of trying.

- Lincoln Park , MI, USA

Jan 282011

Impala 6-cyl

2000 Impala, car has died 2 times since purchased 2 weeks ago for no reason while driving. All electrical still works but starter will not engage, after 5-30 minutes of waiting it will start. Chevy dealership says to change the ignition switch sometimes it helps. Chevy knows about this problem but wont do anything it. Also have the turn signal issue where they quit working until you turn on the flashers. Fuel guage doesnt work. All of the recalls have been done to this car. Why wont Chevy fix the dangerous one about the car stalling at freeway speed and loosing the power steering and power brakes do to a stalled engine. 119000 miles on the car.

- Belgrade, MT, USA

Jan 202004

Impala 6-cyl

Low/high beam switch (multi-function switch) while driving down the road and switching from low to high or vise / versa headlight will go out completely. Just told my wife leave the low beams on and never switch to the high beams..

- Woodland, CA, USA

Jan 172011

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that she was able to turn the key in the ignition but the engine would not start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician advised that the ignition would need to be replaced. The vehicle was left with the dealer for repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. The VIN was not available.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 122010

Impala

I own a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The dimmer switch on the steering column has failed/misfunctioned several times and is now locked in a permanent "hi beam" position. The lights have totally failed in the past. A website named "topix.com" has cited many instances of this type of light failure, resulting in several near misses as regards serious accidents. T is very apparent (and evident from the number of complaints filed with your office) that this is a very serious safety issue for which Chevrolet is denying the existence and/or responsibility of any problem. They are simply ignoring this serious issue and trying to charge anywhere from $600 to $800 to fix this problem this problem apparently extends through many model years, from 2000 (or earlier)to 2007/2008. It is only a matter of time before someone driving at night is killed because of this defect. Please advise what you have done regarding prior complaints, and what you intend to do to resolve this issue..

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 282010

Impala

My 2000 Chevrolet Impala has a problem a couple of times every month where it won't start up. I'll turn the key and nothing happens. So I'll just wait 15-30 minutes and it starts up fine. I've heard many other people having the same problem on all similar GM vehicles and was wondering why there has been no recall.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 012010

Impala

Turn signals have started not working intermittently. Not good if you have to merge into traffic on the highway. I have googled it and found that there are many complaints about this issue although not on this website. Most resources say it is the hazard switch.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Sep 122010

Impala

Multi function head light switch I own a 2000 Chevrolet Impala I was driving home from work the other night the lights went off I had to hold the lever to engage the high beams the lights came back on as long as I held on to the lever. I went to the auto parts store to discover that this was a common problem with Chevrolet the replacement part was 330 dollars very expensive.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Nov 282009

Impala

The contact owns a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the combination control switch was defective. Whenever the high beams were on and the low beams were activated they would not function independently. The gear lever box that was illuminated at night also failed. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 208,000.

- Minneapoolis , MN, USA

May 152010

Impala

My daughter with her permit was driving the vehicle and the turn signals stopped working in the middle of traffic. Luckily she pulled over safely and I continued to drive home. The hazards worked fine and after some research, the hazard switch is the failure. This has been going on intermittently for a month and finally they would work only one time after car was turned on. My local dealer wanted $400 dollars for a $60 part and labor. Thank god for used parts and an easy dash remove only seven bolts instructions online. Do it yourself for cheap. My daughter at 16 did most of it as I told her with instructions. I do love Chevy will remain loyal but they need to wake up and solve some issues.

- Plympton, MA, USA

Mar 072010

Impala

The contact owned a 2000 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph and observed smoke coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was driven to the side of the road and the fire was extinguished. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The cause of the fire had not been determined. There was a recall defect which the manufacturer failed to honor. The NHTSA campaign id number was unknown. The failure and current mileages were unavailable.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Feb 102010

Impala

On Feb.10th or 11th.my neighbor was attempting to jump start my car because the battery had failed due to a 3 day snow storm. After turned the ignition the second time, there was a loud boom. When we checked the engine, we noted the manifold cover had cracked into several pieces. Also the wires were on fire. My neighbor quickly extinguished the flames. Later, I went to my dealer(frank Z Chevrolet in dayton, oh. About the problem. I was told by the assistant service manager that the repairs could cost from $1,800-$2,000 mainly due to the fire damage. Since I have been unemployed for 18 months, I have not had the car towed to the dealer for an estimate of actual damage.

- Centerville, OH, USA

Feb 102010

Impala 6-cyl

My 2000 Chevrolet Impala is causing a great deal of financial hardships and is leaving me stranded in awkward situations. At unpredictable times it will not start. I turn the key and nothing. I took it to a GM dealer and they put a new ignition switch on the car and it was fine for 6 months. Cost $500. I often could wait 10 to 15 minutes and it would start. But it began happening more and more. I took it in to a mechanic, he ran the codes and determined it was the ignition switch. Cost $450 and within a month it began doing the same thing. I got stranded and had to have it towed to a GM dealer and they put a new battery on it and removed all the after market unlocking mechanisms and charged $550. Three days later we have the same problem. It seems to be connected to the pass lock system. There has to be a defect of some sort going on in the whole starting electrical system.

- New Liberty, KY, USA

Apr 062006

Impala

Electrical signals quit working intermittently, will start if hazards are pushed.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Aug 212009

Impala

Body control module, pass lock sensor, ignition switch. Will not allow car to start correctly often not at all. If research is done there is thousands of complaints on GM vehicles with this system having the same recurring problem. GM refuses to admit that this is an issue with this system. I have not personally had a injury caused by this problem but the potential for an injury is there. If I can not start my vehicle because of this problem it can and has left me in a position that is potentially hazardous.

- Evans , GA, USA

Aug 282009

Impala

My 2000 Impala pass lock system stops the car from starting for up to 45 minutes at a time. I try to start the car and it wont turn over or do anything. It happens every time I try to start the car. It leaves my family stranded when we try to go places. What were to happen if there were an emergency? I'd be stranded. Also the steering clunks alot when I turn.

- Redding, CA, USA

May 012008

Impala

My 2000 Impala has intermittent problems with the direction signals. At times they work fine and other times they don't. sometimes while the directional is working it will stop for no reason. This has resulted in several near rear end collisions even with arm signals. This occurs on a nearly daily basis. I am waiting to see if there is a recall as the cost to replace is approximately $500 as the directional signal is sold as a single unit (directional arm and flashing unit are 1 piece). The unit itself is over $300.

- Franklin, MA, USA