Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

Jul 302008

Car would not start changed passlock and still will not start. Security light is on, radio is locked and the Chevy dealership does not know what is wrong with it, they are guessing that is the BCM and the SDM but they cannot promise that it will work.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jul 312008

2002 Chevrolet Impala ls - security/passlock system problem - summer 2007 - took in to Chevrolet dealer (since out of business - palm bay Chevrolet in Florida) because security light would come on at times, eventually disabling car for short periods of time. First repair, BCM replaced - same issue two months later - ignition cylinder replaced - two months later, security light would come on again. Dealership out of business that did two original repairs for $1200 - today, security light was flashing and car would not start. Looking online, this is a very common issue with Impala from 2000 - 2005 - why is there no recall?

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jun 132007

Initially started with the engine not turning over. Full battery power, put car in N to start, nothing. Put car in emergency park to start and it did. This happened repeatedly, with no warning. Now the car starts every time. The problem now is interior/exterior lights flash like strobe lights every time I start my car till the time I turn it off, so I can't drive at night. The "security" light pass lock issue interferes with the A/C compressor and will blow hot air. A constant clicking from the relays in the passenger side fuse box. Why is it many GM dealerships across the country cannot diagnose this when consumers have brought in the vehicle for assessment. Check out the website of carcomplaints.com for more of the same issue. Fellow Impala owners; lets file class action law suit again GM to get this resolved. But sadly it will take one death or more for any action from GM. "the american way is lets do something after the fact and not be proactive to prevent".

- Danville, CA, USA

Jul 192008

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala ls. While waiting in a line, the contact turned off the vehicle and it would not restart. The vehicle had to be towed to a mechanic and they found no failures. The contact believes that the failure was due to the pass lock. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 50,000.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Jun 152007

At random times, the car will not start when the ignition is turned. There is no response from motor at all. The security light will flash on the information center display when this happens. After waiting 10-20 minutes the car will start. The first incident occurred about 1 year ago and has been occurring at random times ever since. Vehicle was taken to a GM dealer service department after the first time it occurred and they were unable to diagnose the problem. Since then I have noticed that the fan for the HVAC system will not work at times and the security light and other lights will appear on the information center display at random times.

- Loveland, CO, USA

May 202005

I own a 2002 Chevy Impala. On 5/20/05 the security light started coming on and would remain on. The security light continued to come on and now the car would not start. It would take 10-30minutes before I could start the car. I took the car to a dealership and they replaced the ignition cylinder. On 6/15/05 the same exact problem started up again. This time the dealership installed a new starter. On 7/16/05 same problem arose again with security light. A diagnostic was done and codes came up from a notice from GM (8/04). The code #'s were B2958 and B2960. The code said to repair poor terminal connections at body control module. The security light continues to come on and car does not start. This continues on/off from 9/11/05-11/28/05. On 11/28/05 the ignition lock/sensor is replaced and the PCM is reprogrammed. And I am given a new key. Looks like at the moment the problem is solved. Well today 7/17/08 I notice that the security light is back on and I begin to cringe because of what I went through in 05'. I get online to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem and I was shocked to see the # of complaints from disgruntled customers about this security light. This is an outrage! GM by now is well aware of the problem with this security light going on. It would seem to me that there would have been a recall notice going out to Chevy Impala owners. I have contacted GM. My complaint is on file. I have 2 file #'s. one for in 2005--# 1-344203027 and a new one just started today (7/17/08)--#-71-645955981. Please google Chevy Impala and security light problem and see the list of complaints that come up. This is an absolute disgrace! I feel that this is something that needs to be looked into asap. Thank you, cheryl evans

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 252008

When the car starts, security light appears on dash, A/C malfunctions, trunk opens automatically, radio displays "locked out" message, lights flicker off and on, quick clicking sound on passenger side of dashboard. The car has a 50/50 chance of starting.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

May 142008

20002 Chevrolet Impala, frequently does not start about one in every ten tries. I have taken it to two different mechanics one said could find nothing the second time I left it at the garage for a week and a half before it wouldn't start for the mechanic. He checked the codes and they said it need a new ignition switch. I am reluctant to install a new switch because of all of the complaints with this year and model car and in many cases a new switch and computer did not correct the problem.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Dec 012002

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The dealer changed the BCM module; however, the failure continued to occur. The dealer then replaced the BCM module again. Approximately six months later the failure occurred again. As a result, the power windows were inoperable. The mechanic stated that an electrical short caused the failure. They replaced the wires however approximately one month later the failure occurred again. As of April 14, 2008, the dealer had not repaired the vehicle. The failure mileage was 10,000 and current mileage was 121,000.

- Dolton, IL, USA

Mar 012008

Impala 6-cyl

The air bag light began illuminating with the radio locking out on our 2002 Impala at 15,630 miles. Love Chevy Hummer reset the computer. Later the same problem recurred. At 16,009 miles love Chevy Hummer replaced the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module. Later, the same problems recurred many times but, we found that we could reset the computer by shutting the car off, opening and closing the door and restarting the car. At 23720 mile the car was taken back to tuscaloosa Chevrolet. The computer indicated the problem was the body control module. It was reprogrammed. Several weeks later the same problems recurred over and over. We took the vehicle in to barkley Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC. The computer code indicated a body control module wad needed but that since the car was out of warranty I would have to pay for it. It was not repaired at this time. While driving at night the headlights went out. I was able to get them back on by flashing the low beam / high beam leaver. Notified General Motors customer relationship specialist spoke with carley leblanc. (service request: 71-437167435). After several emails and phone conservations we were told us to fix it ourselves if we were so concerned. We sent addition information to carley leblanc and later angelina moncivais contacted about our complaints. After several more emails and phone conversations angelina said she was not able to help us. In January of 2008 all warning indicators started cycling and the warning bells started ringing. On February 6, 2008 the Impala would not start. I charged the battery and on February 15, 2008 took it back in to tuscaloosa Chevrolet. After another diagnostic check was told the body control module would need replacing at a cost of nearly $600. Called GM asking for help since the same problems with the car have occurred since it was purchased new on June 6, 2002. After about 2 weeks of phone conversations we were told there was nothing GM would do.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Feb 162008

Impala 8-cyl

On a 2002 Chevrolet Impala, the security light comes on while driving. Following this event various electrical abnormalities occur. Dashboard warning lights all flash together, dash goes dark. Sometimes when you start the car the security light comes on and the headlights flash as if they were icc flashers. There are numerous complaints about this on the internet. Chevrolet doesn't seem to have any finite fix for this and randomly replaces the BCM and ignition switch as possible causes. Most people report having the exact same problem over again several days later"?" due to this erroneous reporting I thought I had a battery problem and the garage changed my alternator. At a cost of $306 dollars. Which I now believe was totally un-necessary.

- Ridge, NY, USA

Jan 282008

Impala 6-cyl

On 01/22/08 while driving, the "security" light appeared in the message center on the instrument panel. When I stopped the car, turned it off, and restarted, all was fine and the light remained off. The following day, after driving approximately 10 miles, the "security" light appeared. This has happened a total of four times, most recently on 01/27/08. When the light appeared, the headlights dimmed for a moment. When I stopped the car, the lights on the radio were extremely dim. On 01/28/08, I went to start the car and the battery appeared to be dead. An attempt to jump off the car was unsuccessful. This seems to be related to the very common "passlock" problems on other GM products.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Jan 012006

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevy Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start when the security light illuminated. In addition, the failure occurred intermittently the last three years. The dealer replaced the ignition and pass sensor; however, the failure continued to occur. The current mileage was 96,000 and failure mileage was 60,000.

- Woodbury, CT, USA

Dec 092007

Dealer says I need a new electronic body control module.( $1,100.) ABS light on and off, traction light on and off, security light on and off, car would not start 4 times. Trunk opens on and off. Service writer told me it is not common. While picking up my car, I refused to have the ebcm replaced, another customer called in with the same problem. Mechanics who work independent have told me the maintenance programs GM requires are a major rip off. A class action suit needs to be started against GM for destroying the moral of the auto consumer. I have seen others post that they had the module reprogrammed. Others have had it replaced for $400-500. Service writers should not be on commission this gives them a rip you off mentality! GM dealers are scum Chevy is scum.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Nov 232007

Impala 6-cyl

Was stranded for about 30 minutes because car wouldn't start on my 2002 Chevy Impala the original security system passlock doesn't let the vehicle start. Has happened several times about 10 and I have only had this vehicle for 4 months I have read some forums in the internet and it's a known problem with GM and a lot of people have this problem and a risk since they are trying to fix it by working by the steering wheel and trigger the air bag. Some people say it could be the BCM I don't know but GM does.

- Mallen, TX, USA

Oct 012007

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the turn signal lights work sporadically and the vehicle shuts off and on intermittently. He stated that the failure was due to an electrical failure. The dealer stated that nothing could be done because the vehicle was out of warranty. The manufacturer has not been notified. The VIN and engine size were unknown. The failure mileage was 100,000 and current mileage was 102,000.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Aug 302007

Impala 6-cyl

Security light coming on and passlock failure. I would like to know why GM is not fixing this problem when so many people are having them. My security light will only go off if I shut the car off and restart it. The lights blink, and from what I am hearing, soon I will not be able to start my car.

- Fairfield , PA, USA

Jan 152007

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at any rate of speed, the head lights would shut off without warning. The contact stated he would have to turn headlights from high to low, to get them to illuminate. The dealer stated that they have never heard of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 46,000.

- Robesonia, PA, USA

Jul 042006

Impala 6-cyl

Several times I would go to start my car and the security light would be on in the message center. The car would not start. It did nothing like a dead battery. I would wait about 15 minutes and try again. Sometimes it would start sometimes it wouldn't. it was doing this 2 or 3 times a week. On Sept. 9, 2006 I came out from shopping and it wouldn't start. I waited for 15 minutes and still nothing. I did this for an hour. Then I called a friend to come and get me. I went back to my car which is a 2002 Impala, the next day, still nothing. The next day, still nothing. I called a tow truck to the dealer to get it fixed. Also my power door locks had quit at the same time. I was told I had to give them $100 just to look at it. 3 hours later they called and said that I could pick up my car. Total cost towing $59, dealer $496.95. I am disabled and only get $600 a month from disability. Now I have no money for my living expenses for the month but the car is still doing the same thing. On the 1st of Oct. I went out to start my car and guess what it won't start. Since this was a Sunday I called the dealer on Monday morning to tell them that it was not fixed. It was still doing the exact same thing that it was before they supposedly fixed it. By the way when they supposedly fix it they replaced the bmc. Now they want another $100 to look at it again. The part was guaranteed but not labor, I could not afford another bill like the last one, I just hope it starts when I go to the dr. It starts only when it wants to. My husband just had brain surgery, I have had 5 surgeries on my spine, I need a car that I can depend on to start. Never had a problem with it. I will hold Chevrolet responsible if any thing happens to my husband or my self because the car won't start. After I took the car to the dealer I came home, looked on the internet under Chevrolet Impala 2002 and found 100's of service bulletins on the very same problem. Why isn't any thing being done about this.

- Dayton, NV, USA

Jul 042007

Impala 6-cyl

Was waiting in terminal for my ferry home...tried to start car when asked to move onto ferry...nothing car would not start.. just dead...tried to start with two different chargers..no luck.. called bcaa.. missed ferry...finally back in car to wait for aaa talking to husband who asked if windows worked and radio? yes windows did but hadn't tried radio...went into car turned on ignition to start radio and car started right away...no hesitation...had to leave on while waiting for last ferry home and during the trip across the straight...got home turned off car...tried to start again...no problem started first time...still haven't found out what the problem was and how to fix it.

- Pender Island, 00, USA