Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

Sep 052014

Impala 6-cyl

The car was constantly stalling in low speed or starting from a stop in D drive. The transmission was not shifting properly. Car had stalled a few times in traffic, becoming a hazardous situation. Car was overheating. Car had been serviced a week ago at aaa repair center, eatontown, NJ for oil leak from gasket of the manifold.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Aug 072011

Impala 6-cyl

On numerous times, anti theft system prevents me from starting my car. I have been stuck trying to come home from work, trying to go to work and at many other times. There are numerous complaints on the internet from many consumers about this issue. It is dangerous if you are out late at night and you cant even start your own car. Chevrolet has refused to pay to correct the problem and has offered no help at all.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Apr 152014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that security light illuminated intermittently and the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed the ignition cylinder had a short circuit. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 26,000. Updated 11/12/14 the consumer stated the vehicle would not start on more than one occasion. Updated 01/15/15

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jul 162014

Impala 6-cyl

My blinker switch and high beam doesn't work at all you have to mess with the flasher button if you want to single a turn. Other times it works but still no high beams its been worked on lights changed everything still nothing. I was told a factory defect but heard nothing on this. I carry my small children and my wife in this car and I almost got rearended a few times so if its a factory defect they should fix it. I heard other owners with the same complaint so its not just parts wore out it was no good in the beginning then they should pay for it since the fault is at the factory.

- Lockhart, TX, USA

Jul 212014

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the ignition switch was unable to turn as a result the contact was unable to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in was NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Bellwood, IL, USA

Jul 072014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle intermittently failed. In addition, the contact was driving approximately 35 mph when the service engine soon warning light illuminated and the A/C system failed to activate. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 08/27/14 updated 09/18/2014

- Macon, MS, USA

Jul 052012

Impala 6-cyl

Ignition switch fails at times and I need to keep turning it on numerous times and then it finally starts! it is on the news this is a recall and I have called the dealership, GM and both failed to help me with the issue at all!

- Aberdeen, OH, USA

Jun 022014

Impala 6-cyl

This car was one-owner and very well taken care of and serviced routinely. I was driving home from work on the interstate and my car just lost power. I had no control of the car. It slammed into the concrete medium wall on drivers side, then spun around and lodged underneath the trailer of a semi-tractor. The semi hit the brakes and it projected me back across upon the top of the concrete medium where my car just rode to a stop. The air bags did not deploy. My beautiful car was totaled but, by the grace of god and seat belts I am alive. I have a concussion, sprained ankle, cuts, and bruises, but I am here to tell about it. Hopefully, the NHTSA will investigate and save someone else from injury or death. My car is available to inspect.

- Chesapeake, WV, USA

Jun 182002

Impala 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing this vehicle, I parked and when I tried to start it would not start. After waiting about 20 minutes it did start. I took it to the dealer and was told it was a sensor which they replaced. Did not stop the problem, continues to do it today. Now at about 8500 miles a message comes up to service tract system. Am told it is a sensor in the hub and the entire hub will have to be replaced at a cost of about $750 per hub for the front and slightly more if it is the rear hub. After reading on the internet of this same problem people are having, I realize I am not the only one having this problem and it seems all these fixes do not stop the problem. I purchase the car new and love the ride and performance I get from this car but am not able at the time to pay for expenses of this magnitude. Have considered trading but do not want to saddle someone else with this problem. Would not mind the repairs if it was going to fix the problem, but seems as if this is a problem that cannot be fixed. Help

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jan 072014

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The contact mentioned that the automatic locks and air conditioner became inoperable. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 96,000 and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Hubbard, OH, USA

Nov 272013

Impala 6-cyl

Issues with the BCM (body control module). The ignition switch which the car would not start with the key in the ignition at all. According to the penske Chevy, the BCM is bad due to the ignition switch.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

Jul 012013

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle will not start periodically, wait a few mins and it will start. When automatic lights come on, the dash lights go out. All lights on go off. Makes night driving dangerous.

- Nettleton, MS, USA

Apr 012010

Impala 6-cyl

ABS light ABS/traction control lamp.

- Hagerhill, KY, USA

Nov 202013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate and my headlights went out. I flashed my brights and they came back on. It has done this multiple times since.

- Sarcoxie, MO, USA

May 012014

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle electrical systems malfunction. The consumer stated the problems he experienced were eerily similar as to those described in the recall. However, General Motors customer service informed him, his vehicle was not included in the recall. The consumer stated while driving, all of a sudden, all electrical functions ceased. All of the gauges went to the off position, and the power steering and brakes were lost. Minutes later, all electrical functions resumed. The consumers mechanic was unable to isolate the problem. Updated 06/19/14

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jun 042013

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problem. The consumer stated the electrical switch was replaced on June 4, 2013. On February 13, 2014, the vehicle lost all power and came to a complete stop. On April 5, 2014, the vehicle lost all power again.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Apr 092002

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that she was able to remove the key from the ignition and the vehicle would remain on. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 103,413. Updated 7/7/14 updated 07/11/2014

- Conesus, NY, USA

Sep 182013

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the cruise control engaged independently and would not deactivate. The ignition switch was turned off; however, the vehicle continued to accelerate. In addition, the brake pedal was depressed numerous times and the vehicle failed to slow down. When the emergency brake was engaged the vehicle came to a complete stop. The vehicle then resumed normally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the cruise control cable was detached. The mechanic stated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000. Updated 6/10/14

- Victoria, TX, USA

Mar 102011

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who informed the contact that the ignition switch lock and body control module would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 122014

Impala

I had just dropped my 8 year old son off at school, and I was headed to work. The car cut off while I was sliding on very thin ice. I could not steer away from the back of a pick up truck. The driver drove off before I could even exit the car. The air bag did not deploy and I had to have the car towed to my house. I have not been able to get it started since. I have had several mechanics look at it but none could fix the problem. I am a single parent who lives paycheck to paycheck. I just bought the car in October. I do not have the money to keep pouring into this car. I know there is manufacturing problem but I do not have the money to have it towed to a dealer, much less the money to have it fixed. All I want to have my car back on the road running.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA