Dec 012015

Impala

Faulty/worn ignition switch in this vehicle will generate the following issues: (determined through trial and error due to chronic electrical issues:) 1). Engagement and disablement of ABS system because of lack of good power to the system from the ignition switch circuit. 2). entire loss of directional system(turn signals) again because of lack of good power to the system from the ignition switch circuit. These two situations lead to vehicle that is unsafe to drive at the time of the failure which may happen stationary or while in motion. These issues were intermittent and would happen at any time. Ignition switch in a vehicle should not generate issues such as this.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Nov 192015

Impala

The only recall I was able to find out was for the ignition, . my transmission just went out 11/19/2015, it will not switch into gear, it starts just fine no check engine light but left me stranded. Turned the car off and when I started it again it drove just fine, so I slowly drove it home. I don't get on the highway no more because it lacks power the get up is not there mind you yes I have 225K miles on it but I have had about 10 trouble codes and I managed to get rid of them all when I cleaned the tps, aic, and map sensor new egr valve, oil change tune up transmission flush all has been done this year and still on the highway it struggles, I did have one code that popped up 0420 so at this point I have been thinkin to just replace the catalytic converter when I get my taxes, but the problem is just getting worse and worse, so then I am thinking its the fuel pump, I mean my alternator is fine, I know I am sick of the security light always coming on, my left blinker only works in the day time at night never which is the weirdest thing, my windshield blades only work on the fastest setting, in the winter when it rains or snows my doors when we get inside to lock them the lock and unlock and the panel says door ajar when there is no door ajar, it will drive just fine as it nothing was ever wrong. Inconsistent and whats even weird is now the check engine light wont even come on after my transmission failed me in the middle of the road you would think the computer was able to record something. Once tranny fixd I will get the ignition recall fixed originally a loud noise was coming from engine like a screeching noise so I figured it was the alternator now that noise is gone but the minute I felt it wasn't the tranny, my car at the light would not go at all until I turned it off and back on. Please help

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 082014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after multiple attempts. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the ignition switch was replaced but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under the NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Oct 192015

Impala

When trying to crank vehicle passlock code won't allow car to crank until after 10 minutes. The security light will blink until its ready to crank again. Vehicle was stationary.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Apr 102015

Impala

The check engine light and other warning indicator lights come on while vehicle is in motion. The radio and air conditioner fail to function properly when the warning lights flicker on. Therefore I am checking to see if there is a recall on this particular problem...............

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jun 152013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when the ignition key was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The contact inspected the vehicle and stated that the ignition switch needed to replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 122,000.

- Bemidji, MN, USA

Feb 052015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when the key was turned to start the vehicle, it failed to start and the security warning light illuminated. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but the failure was not duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Brooklyn, OH, USA

Sep 152015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While operating the vehicle, the low beam and high beam lights failed to work. The contact had to maneuver the switch to get the low beams and high beams to work. The contact was concerned that the failure could happen again without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 98,270.

- Groton, CT, USA

Jan 292013

Impala

While driving on the freeway on a black night the headlights suddenly went out completely. The dash lights remained on and everything else was normal. After braking to an emergency stop I discovered that if I flicked the dimmer switch the lo-beam would come on. Some time later, when I flicked the dimmer switch the hi-beams came back on. This situation happened periodically since then but I could also regain some light by flicking the dimmer. On September 4, 2015 on a busy highway at night the lights went out and I could not flick the dimmer switch. It would not click. It seemed to be jammed so no lights. At present I have headlights (bright only) if I hold the dimmer switch up. As soon as I let it go all lights go out.

- Lompoc, CA, USA

Aug 202015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 15 mph, the contact activated the right turn signal and heard an abnormal noise, but no signal illuminated at the time of the turn. The contact stated that the battery and brake lights illuminated intermittently. This was a recurring failure. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the multi function switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 141,151.

- Springfiled , VT, USA

Aug 282015

Impala

I have replace the ignition switch, starter three times in two years, the alternator and three batteries in two years. Also had several frequent tune ups. There is something going on with the electrical system.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Dec 152014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving various speeds, the low beam head lamps failed to work. The contact had to apply the high beams each time the failure recurred. Also, the turn signals failed to work when applied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000. MA 10/19/2015

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Sep 192007

Impala

The transmission shift sensor has had to be replaced 2times in the past 8 year due to it being faulty. I am not sure what kind of a safety issue this could be but it really starts just randomly jerking into gear for no reason, I had it replaced 8 years ago and now again it is getting done, on top of that the ignition pass lock sensor has been causing the car not to start and from everything I have research this is a problem on GM cars from 2000-2004, I filed several complaints on car complaints.com and you can clearly see there is a problem. It's going to cost me over $1100 to get theses two things fixed. I am very upset that Chevy chooses to ignore these problems. Over the past 4 months I have been stranded over 10 times because my car just wouldn't start. It took the shop a few days to even diagnosis it because they had to get them both to act up due to the computer not storing codes.it seems to me there is some electrical issues with this year but GM chooses to ignore these complaints

- Greencastle, IN, USA

Jun 012010

Impala

Vehicle stalled in traffic on various occasions, had it towed to local mechanic twice. On other occasions he provided advice to circumvent the problem, most occasions was to wait, remove and reinsert the key and start the car. Took the car into the local dealer (now bill kay), they advised that the ignition switch would have to be replaced (at an exorbitant cost to me). I had our local mechanic replace the switch, and it's been fine since. The problem is that I have two key for the car, one for the ignition switch and another for the doors and trunk. When I received the recall I contacted bill kay, relayed the specifics of my issue, and advised that I was not seeking reimbursement for all my expenses, but would appreciate them rekeying the vehicle so that I could use one key for the ignition, doors and trunk. They advised that this recall did not cover the ignition, and provided no resolution. Have contacted them several times with the same result.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 042015

Impala

The vats system will not let me start my car for 10 to 20 minutes. The system has broken down and my thinking is that GM should have a recall to fix the issue.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Apr 202015

Impala

After replacing: Battery, starter, starter module, ignition module, and tumbler lock assembly the security light comes on and car will not start.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Oct 012013

Impala

When you try start vehicle security light comes on and vehicle does not start. There are many reports of this issue noted online and customers are spending money on batteries and other parts without a fix. GM needs to fix this issue seems like many notes are indicating disgust with the company not responding to this issue.

- Melville, NY, USA

Jun 182015

Impala

I was going down a steep hill - warner hill road - stratford ct. The car battery light came on and I lost power - including brakes. I was able to use the brakes but they were extremely hard to push but they worked. Luckily there was no cars in front or back and the traffic light was green. I was able to coast across the intersection into the sikorski aircraft plant past the guard and was able to stop. I turned the ignition switch and the car worked fine. This car was recalled for ignition switch problems and all the dealer did was to replace the key fob with a lead weight. I believe that they should have replaced the entire ignition switch. Please let me know if you have any information that the ignition switch should have replaced instead of just a key fob replacement which did not work.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Jun 302013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While the vehicle was parked, the ignition key in the start position would not start the vehicle. All the other electrical functions were working normally. The contact stated that the security warning light illuminated during the failure. It took the contact ten minutes to start the vehicle. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The dealer stated that the key ignition cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Dec 242012

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall repairs and requests reimbursement for the ignition switch he paid to have replaced.

- Rockwood, TN, USA