Jan 152013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the tachometer would not provide a reading. After time progressed, the fuel gauge and the speedometer began provided inaccurate readings. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Jan 232013

Impala 6-cyl

First at buying my Chevy Impala it had 115,000mi on it already but desperately needed a car being a single mother. After having the car a little over a month the fuel injectors blew where my car would no longer start. Got it fixed. Next I had to keep putting power steering fluid in (once every week) went to a mechanic, he said my power steering is going to eventually go.. next 2 months after that my car caught on fire through the lighter. Electrical. Called the fire dept. They had to cut the wires and pull the fuse. 2 months after that, my transmission blew. Just like that. I was driving on the high way and approached an accident. After coming to a complete stop tried to pick speed back up and it wouldn't go anymore than 15 mph. I pulled off to a rest area, sat there for 30mins. Reversed out of the parking lot, put it in drive, it wouldn't budge... not to mention a month after buying the car. The turn signals, , brake lights, cruise control, flashers all worked when they wanted too and not when I needed it too. Came close to a few people running in the back of me due to back lights not working.. and my temp, gauge, speedometer and gas gauge do not work. Id be in park with a full tank of gas, it says im going 80mph and gas is empty.. hate this car with a passion.. very dangerous car...would never recommend this car to anyone....

- Lima, NY, USA

Dec 032012

Impala

Vehicles gauges do not work@! some are stuck and work periodically or not at all. False readings for speed, fuel and temperature. Contacted the dealer about recalls and there are none although I have read hundreds of complaints about the same thing. This car drives highway every day and this is very dangerous. I was told that it is a problem with the instrument cluster that is well know an cost $600 to fix. This is unacceptable.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Apr 272012

Impala

Every now and then you go to start the car it won't do anything. All the lights, radio, everything comes on as normal but when you turn the key over to start it won't do nothing, click, or anything. One time we left the car over night, locked up, the next day it started like nothing was wrong. Another time I let the car sit for 15 mins and it started fine. Then another time, I kept trying every 10 to 15 mins for an hr but nothing. Then let it sit for 25 to 30 mins then nothing but I left the key in on position for a couple minutes while all the lights ran and then it started fine. Some people say its the starter, ignition or even the security. A lot of people have had this problem there's even videos of people complaining. Id say that there's something that needs to be looked into so everyone w these vehicles know what's wrong. Thanks

- Paducah, KY, USA

Oct 292010

Impala 6-cyl

My 2004 Chevrolet Impala ls has a bad security lock system. I go to start car and it won't start I have to wait 15-20 min. For it to start and its becoming more frequent.

- Haltom, TX, USA

Aug 042012

Impala 6-cyl

While driving in heavy traffic, it just stops running. My husband puts the car in neutral and is able to start it back up again. It has done it a few times since that occurrence. This could result in a very serious situation if the car stalls in an intersection and won't restart. The car also has a security issue that prevents us, as the owner from starting it. This has been an ongoing problem from the purchase date. If you turn on the ignition and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, it will start up. We now leave the car running when filling the car with gas because we have had to sit and wait for it to restart at the pump. This could cause a very serious problem also. If you go on line, you will see numerous complaints about both of these problems. We bought this car used and knew we would be responsible for some issues, but not this, it should be a recall issue. We have had to replace the rack and pinion (very costly) all new brakes and rotors, all new tires, and some other minor issues. I feel, as do numerous other GM owners, this is a factory defect in the security system (passlock key system), causing both problems. Anyone having this problem, should be able to take the car to the dealership and they should have to fix it at no cost to the owner of the vehicle. I took it to the dealership just after we purchased it and he said he would have to replace the ignition and something else at a cost of almost $800. I am certain this can be taken care of by rerouting wiring in the security system at a very minor cost, or just resetting the computer system. Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

- Denver, CO, USA

Dec 012011

Impala

When applying the bright headlights, all exterior and dash lights go out. Very scary! when operating switch again lights return, but have dim headlamps only. This has happened several times. Now only drive with dims on until I can afford the repair. Not safe!

- Old Appleton, MO, USA

Oct 012009

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while attempting to turn on the vehicle, the ignition failed to recognize the key. The contact would have to wait approximately 10 minutes before the ignition would recognize the key. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 170,000 and the current mileage was approximately 183,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 152012

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the speedometer and fuel gauges both failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the contact was informed that the cluster inside the instrument panel would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 98,186.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Mar 252010

Impala 6-cyl

My wife got into a wreck because Chevy has not recalled these issues. My 2004 Impala ABS brakes malfunctioned along with my traction control, she tried to stop at a stop sign and the brake pedal kicked up and would not let her stop she removed her foot from the brake and tried pressing the pedal back down and it kicked up kicking in the ABS and traction control not allowing her to stop and she ran into a snow bank but my insurance paid for the body work but not the mechanical problems I replaced both hubs on the front, quit doing it for a week or so and then when I drive it the traction control and ABS kicks in while im driving down the road. Now my speedometer, tachometer and temp gauge are not workin at 0 RPM my car is doing 90 mph as it sits in my garage not starting because my key will not turn to start it my steering wheel will not lock and because I cant turn my key I can not put my car in neutral to push it out of my garage so I can get it towed I have read so many issues on these and other GM models I am surprised that there was no recalls when I called had this car for 4 years and nothing but problems and money so as my car sits in my garage as it will till these items get recalled I am not putting anymore money in this car I will drive my 98 infiniti that I have had for almost 10 years because I know its dependable. Never again GM will you get another cent from me I have never had this many problems with any car.

- Galion, OH, USA

Apr 152012

Impala

I own a 2004 Chevy Impala and the ignition fails, then you have to let the car sit at least 10 min. Then it will start. This is a problem from the factory and from what I've read this seems to be a manufacturing defect.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Feb 012010

Impala

I was driving down the street and saw that my speedometer says about going 110 miles an hour when I knew that I was only going about 25 I was in a residential area. The issue started slowly I would only happened once in a while but here we are 2 years later and my actual speedometer needle faces down towards the steering wheel.no my service tag agent going on the frayed of my gas gauge is gonna stop working also the blinkers only work when I want to..

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jan 052012

Impala

The speedometer stopped working correctly. It went to 120 while on interstate while I was only going 70 mph using my gps. I have been stopped at a stop sign and it showed anywhere from 30 to 70 mph.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Jan 302012

Impala 6-cyl

The speedometer stopped working. It went to 0 while on interstate.

- Girard, IL, USA

Jan 012010

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala, problem 1:turn the key on security light blinking, car wont start. Car will start after 10 minutes or so. Problem 2: speedometer stuck, for example you would be on the freeway doing 60mph even when you park your car or the needle would be stuck on 0 and I know it can't be right. It has been doing this for quite sometime about a year now off and on. Problem 3: ac/heater fan control wont turn on. I have taken my car to different shops and they don't know what's going on with it, it's costing me alot of money being ripped off by the shop. I still have to pay them even though they didn't fix the problem. They say they fixed it and same problems still exist.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 012009

Impala

Car has had several major safety problems (1) defective fuel cap - lead to fuel emissions into atmosphere and malfunction of emission control system. (2) defective speedometer - could have lead to excessive speed, inappropriate speed, and/or crash (3) defective anti-theft security system - can either not allow the vehicle to start, or can cause vehicle to stop running and then not start upon operator command. Could lead to death or dismemberment.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jan 092012

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer not working properly. Same problem as most other people with this vehicle.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Dec 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer has started to fail. Speedometer registers 80 when parked and well over 120 while driving. No way of knowing how fast the vehicle is really going.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Nov 212011

Impala 6-cyl

The speedometer on my 2004 Chevy Impala began acting up while driving on the freeway on 11/21/2011. I was going the posted speed limit of 70 mph and when I let off the gas pedal for slower traffic, I noticed that the speedometer appeared to be stuck at 70mph. This was confirmed when shortly up the road I exited the freeway and came to a complete stop and the speedometer still read 70 mph. When I got home, I called a local auto parts store to inquire what could be causing this. I was informed that this is a common problem for the Impala and that eventually my other gauges like the fuel level will also act up. I looked on line and found that there are many out there that have my same issue which I consider a safety issue but that there are no recall notices for the issue. I am just floored to find that there is no recall for an item like this. Looking into the matter further, to correct the issue, it must be taken to a GM dealership to have the dashboard cluster replaced at the cost of $600. Please look into all the reported issues similar to mine and see if something can be done concerning a recall. Thank you in advance!

- Almont, MI, USA

Oct 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Instrument cluster failing. - while driving home from work, my instrument cluster failed. Started jumping around for a min until it finally stuck. Now it has progressively gotten to the point where it never has the correct mph. Sometimes sticking 20 - 30 mph while in park. Other times staying at 0least while on the interstate. Very unsafe. Should've a recall, after calling the dealer and being quoted nearly $600 to repair. After this many complaints Chevy needs to fix this problem. No more american cars for me thanks.

- Cedartown, GA, USA