7.9

Most common solutions:

2. disconnect battery for a few minutes then reconnect it (5 reports)
  3. wait 20 - 30 minutes to try to start again (5 reports)
  4. buy a Toyota or Honda (4 reports)
  5. replace computer module & passlock sensor/cylinder switch (2 reports)
  6. replace ignition cylinder (2 reports)

Apr 272015

Impala LS V6

Not even a week. Had to unhook my battery last Tuesday the 21st due to this issue and it happened again on the 27th. WTF!!!!! My new car purchase can't happen soon enough. Switching to a Hyundai, hope to have it this weekend. Chevy can kiss my ass!!!!!!

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Apr 212015

Impala LS V6

I've lost count how many times this has happened. I am officially done with Chevy. The last time this happened my car eventually started after maybe 30 minutes. This time wouldn't start until the battery was unhooked. Pretty sad that in order to get my car to start I have to unhook the f*cking battery!! Build a better car Chevy. Everything else works fine except for this. It keeps getting worse!! I have officially started looking and will be buying a Hyundai.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Apr 212015

Impala 3.4L V6

Any problem should have a solid fix, simply fix it right don't experience it again. Not this, every suggestion seem to have a disclaimer somewhere else online that indicates it may not work. Even reports where the problem goes to a dealer to correct, reports exist that say money spent, fix didn't take. GM seems to have the bulk of the complaints although some others show up. So trash the design GM and build a better system. We can fly around in space, but can't seem to depend on your cars and trucks starting as they should for the owners. Perhaps someone could query the thieves and see if they have similar complaints.

- , Silverlake, WA, USA

Jun 252010

Impala LS 3.8L

The Security Light will turn on without warning and the vehicle will not start. The problem will occur randomly about 3 - 5 times a year mostly in hot weather. Usually after 20 minutes the car will start. This has happened at different times of the day causing me to be late for work, stuck at a gas station after refueling, or at a parking lot sweating in 100 degree weather.

An Internet search shows that other people have experienced the same problem. Repairing the problem at a dealer can cost as much as $1000.

The fault appears to be with the vehicle's Anti-Theft Security System and should be repaired by a recall and at no charge to the car owner.

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Jun 022013

Impala IS 3.8L

I am constantly getting stuck everywhere. I have AAA, they cannot figure it out either. Has something to do with my security system as my security light flashes.

Been stuck more than 20 - 30 times just this last year.

- , Lyndeboro, NH, USA

Jun 012013

Impala LS 3.8L

Same issue, Security light comes on occasionally while driving, Then on occasion car will not turn over however the battery is fine, lights and everything electrical works. After turning key about 20 times and about ten minutes car will start. Question? How many complaints have to be lodged before a recall is issued? This has happened over the last year at least 10 different times making this extremely unreliable. I have 135,000 miles on this car, had it for 10 years. Looking to get something new in the next few months.. If I can't get this issue resolved I won't be buying a Chevy again!!

- , Germantown, WI, USA

Nov 262013

Impala LS 3.4L V6

The GM dealer said they have had other complaints with same issue, key won't turn, car won't start. New ignition and tumbler cost almost $500. Not sure if problem fixed yet, still working on installing parts. The dealer said if a recall occurs we can get reimbursed. After seeing all the complaints already made it sounds like this is a common malfunction on the 2004 Impalas after about 75,000 miles. This car has always had some kind of electrical malfunction as well as brake pad problems. Have to replace brake pads about every 12,000 miles. But leaving Meijers with my Thanksgiving turkey and having my car just plain not start, cannot turn the key at all, is insane. Without this problem getting fixed, I wouldn't dare want to drive this car anywhere far from home.

Here I have a perfectly running car, just replaced batter with a really good one about a month ago, now this problem occurs. How does my key not turn in the ignition. And sad thing, I have two keys and neither one of them would turn the ignition. Really scary, really aggravating. GM needed a bailout and wanted us to help them but yet could care less about sticking us with a faulty vehicle that definitely is a manufacturer's problem and they should fit the bill. Very upset.

- , Marion, OH, USA

Nov 232013

Impala LS 3.8L

Replaced the body control unit few months ago and did not fix the problem. The problem continues.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

May 012011

Impala LS 3.8L

click to see larger images

won't start, security light comes on won't start, security light comes on won't start, security light comes on won't start, security light comes on won't start, security light comes on

Problem was failure to start and security light would come on. It was initially very random only happening sometimes and would always "fix" itself after a few minutes. A few minutes became a few hours, which became a few days. Another aspect of the problem was seasonal. It never happened during winter (Nov-Mar). But with the onset of spring in April, the problem would return like a blooming flower! This proved very problematic, as solutions attempted in the fall would always "work". I would think the problem was completely fixed until the next Spring when it would return with the warmth and humidity. One solution that did NOT work for me was the Passlock security system bypass. That was one of the autumn solutions that looked good initially, but ultimately proved ineffective.

But I knew I was on to the solution when I removed the Body Control Module (BCM; aka, the computer) and sprayed a random electric motor cleaner on the pins and connectors. [Note: BCM is located under the dash on the driver side of my Impala; other vehicles have BCM under dash on the passenger side.] The problem was then solved for about one month before returning again. But this temporary solution was during the heat and humidity of summer, so I knew I was getting close to the permanent solution.

The issue with my Impala is corrosion on the BCM pins and associated connectors. The electric motor cleaner and the simple action of connecting/disconnecting the BCM pins & connectors fixed the problem for one month. But the corrosion came back again reasonably fast. So I searched for (and found) a product that removes corrosion, oxidation, etc. and keeps it off for an extended period. There may be many products that work, but the one I found is DeoxIT. Google the name and you will find the product, which is easily available online.

My Impala has worked wonderfully ever since DeoxIT was applied to the BCM pins and connectors. It's been 2 1/2 years now, and the vehicle is flawless. I suspect GM tried to save a few bucks and used a cheaper alloy than they should have for these connectors. That's only my speculation however.

Please contact me if you want any further information (Richard: fmh2484@yahoo.com). Good luck with your Impala, a wonderful machine once you fix this problem!

- , Gambrills, MD, USA

Jul 142012

Impala 3400

Had a problem a couple months ago... thought it was a fluke?? But yesterday it is messed up!! Need car to get to church and the Kids were to be in the Parade today with the Boy Scouts!! ( As well as myself!) I loved the car other wise... it ran great, good mileage, quiet smooth ride!... But I see this is a MAJOR , EXPENSIVE, PROBLEM!!!!! We Bailed out GM.... So we the people own part of it.... should DEMAND OUR MONEY BACK!!! Or should get a FREE CAR OUT OF THE DEAL!!! Right??? Our tax dollars bail them out ... and we get SH*T IN RETURN!!! We expect a bit of quality in our cars!!! SO RECALL THIS MAJOR SCREW UP!!!!

- , Green Bay, WI, USA

Jun 012010

Impala 3400

I put up with this no start security problem for 3 years. It would happen sometimes often but some months not at all. This winter became an everyday occurrence, so took it to gm service for them to figure out, passlock sensor or what? They said they couldn't get consistent voltage to troubleshoot the problem and wanted to replace battery with gm certified or one I purchased and brought to them. I chose gm certified. Once they replaced, they couldn't get the car to fail to. They tried for a week, then I went to the the car. They said if it fails to start again bring it back and they could retrieve the code. Two weeks later, It's still starting!

It maybe too soon to tell, but it definitely improved my car by changing to a good quality battery. I believe the passlock sensor might be getting weak, because security light has came on once, but started anyway and light is back off now. I will post again with updates of this problem and fixes.

- , Columbus, IN, USA

Apr 062010

Impala 3.4L

The really ironic part of this "anti-theft" protection is that I should be so lucky to have the car stolen. Between the instrument cluster not working correctly and the car not starting, no car thief in his right mind would want the car!

- , Valley Stream, NY, USA

Jun 242012

Impala

My mother-in laws car, and she is 80+, she's at church with her friends then they get in the car and it won't start. This is the 5th time it's happened this year, but no errors posted and she can't make it happen - it starts fine after about 20 minutes. She is losing her sanity.

So I went on-line and found the thread here about the key sensor having a bad connector, and decided it fit the symptom.

Update from Jun 25, 2012: I chose the "add a resistor" solution because that fixes a bad connection, a faulty sensor, or anything else that might be going wrong. On the 2004 Impala I found it was worthless removing the radio because you can't get at the ignition switch that way, you have to go at it from below, removing the aluminium space-filler above the driver's knees. Once the lock is unbolted it can be pushed in and dropped out under the dash. I removed the key-lock part by setting the key to position II and poking at the release button with a small screwdriver. That unplugs the lock sensor (which is on the part that comes out) from it's connector which is trapped on the body. Remove the connector by squeezing the ears each side of the "V" inwards and it pops up. I then cut the yellow and black wires, and soldered in a 6.6K resistor between the harness yellow and the black, which I re-spliced at the same time. I followed the method of try to start, then let it sit until the SECURITY message stops (3 times) and on the 4th try it almost started but the battery needed jumping. After that it ran OK. Very grateful for the help found on this site. Thanks a bunch, and I agree that Chevrolet should do a recall. It's ridiculous having an anti-theft system that prevents owners driving.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Impala 3.4L

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala. The security light keeps coming on and then it won't crank. I wait about 10 to 30 min and then it will start...so tired of this. Love the car but not the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this problem without it costing an arm and a leg.

- , Live Oak, FL, USA

Jul 262011

Impala V6

I have had this problem now for the last 2 1/2 months and I am so freaking pissed off, I am never sure If it'z gonna start or not, too damn scared to go anywhere. GM needs to recall these freaking vehicles this has happened to way too many people and it seems that it's gonna happen to many many more.

- , Syracuse, NY, USA

Sep 252010

Impala

I have had my 2004 Chevrolet Impala for 2 years and later discovered the problems with the security light coming on and car wont start. I called the dealership to see if there were any recalls reference to the above and was advised no recall. Just about everybody I know who has an Impala has the same problem. I notice when the ignition switch is turned on and sits for about 20 to 30 minutes after failure to start the vehicle starts. I am in agreement that this is a defect and should fall under the manufacture for repair.

- , Belleville, IL, USA

May 092011

Impala 3800 Series Ii

We have NEVER had problems with our Impala except the occasional dead batter from listing to music too long and a few tire pressure troubles, but never as worry-some as this. On 5/7/11, the light went on when we were eating out and again occurred today (5/9/11). The light is the light that says 'SECURITY' on the Message Center. Nothing has gone wrong yet. We tested it again today not to long ago, and it NEVER shown. Please give me ideas on how to fix it.

- , Rock Valley, IA, USA

Mar 152009

Impala

for what i paid for it i should not be going thru this i just think its very annoying that im scared to turn it off somewhere like to put gas or when doing other errands and it does not turn on its so humiliating i mean its a nice car but has this certain problem and makes me just want to get another car

- , Mercedes, TX, USA

Jun 152010

Impala

I am so irritated with the 2004 chevy impala. This freakin security system sucks! I have been late to work because of this issue and it makes no sense at all. I dont even know how much it will cost to get fixed. I have to wait about 10-30min for it to even start up. This makes no sense and GM should be ashamed of themselves.

Has there been a recall or does anyone know how to fix this problem? Please let me know! Thnks!

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Dec 072010

Impala 3.4L

Just Picked up my kid for the weekend and droped him off at my mothers whaile i ran out to pay a bill in town, next thing i know, come outside, and the P.O.S wouldent start. I'v had this passlock light flashing intermetly for a few days, but didnt think anything of it seeing as winter just came and i thought it could have possibly been my battery draining overnight when the temp. droped. but now im finding out that it could be the damn ignition assembaly. i talked to my father which is a mechanic and he says that it could have been avoided if your like me and have more then a few keys on your keychain, apparently it will wear your tumblers out quick and then you get the passlock problom.

so far nothings worked to fix it, although i can get it to fire up if i waithalf hour or so, but then again, this is unacceptable. GM should have recalled this or offerd a free bypass kit for those who dont want to be botherd. Biggest PILE i have ever owned, I'll deffinetly not buy a GM next, ill be purchaseing a G35 for my next sedan.

- , Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada