Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Aug 182015

Impala

My wife and I were driving down the interstate at approximately 65 mph. A light on the dash came on saying engine power reduced. At that point my vehicle slowed down to nearly 20 mph while I was still on the interstate in moderate traffic. I pulled off to the side of the road and turned my vehicle off to try to investigate the problem. At that point my vehicle would not start for about 10 minutes. After getting my vehicle to start I immediately drove it home. This issue could have caused a very serious accident that would have injured my wife and I, but more importantly our 7 year old daughter riding in the back seat along with any one else involved. I have been on many different forums trying to figure out the cause of the problem, and it seems there are many people with this exact problem on their Chevrolet Impala.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 242015

Impala

My 2009 Chevy Impala had experience intermittent message "service traction control" along with "reduced engine speed" since August of 2012. It happened maybe 1-2 times per year for the last few years. The message would clear itself after the car was turned off and sat for a few minutes. On July 24th, my car experience these same messages once again. However, the message came and went multiple times and all speeds in town and on the highway. The message finally stayed and did not go away on July 25th. I scheduled service at the local dealer on Thursday, July 30. They changed the accelerator pedal and thought it was an issue that GM issued a special condition on in April 2015. On the way home from the shop, the message appeared again. Thus, the car was again serviced at the local dealership on Friday, July 31. By August 1, the "service traction control" light blinked on and then went off quickly. It did the same thing one time on August 2nd. Today, August 3rd, the light went off three times in a short drive and is once again stuck on. I'm very worried that the reduced engine speed will return when I am on a highway. This is a known issue by GM or they wouldn't have issued a special condition. They only will fix this up to 120,000 miles. If my engine turns off while moving at 70mph on highway, this will be huge safety concern. I'm waiting on the dealer to call me back to once again return my car for repair. Lisa miller 1401 E oak clinton, mo 64735 660-492-2179 2G1wt57nx91158582

- Clinton, MO, USA

Jan 022015

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly lose power and would not accelerate. The contact indicated that when the failure occurred, the traction control and reduce power sensor lights illuminated. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 01/25/16.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at 35 mph, the vehicle lost power and jerked. In addition, the service stability traction and power reduced was displayed across the message board. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Rolling Prairie, IN, USA

Jul 082015

Impala

I was driving about 40mph then my car broke down speed traction sensor was on and engine light came on and it read engine power had been reduced as I kept driving it was jerking and not wanting to pick up speed I turned the car off for about 30 minutes started again traction light off but check engine light still on went to oreilly and it read a code saying pedal position sensor

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jun 062014

Impala

Since we have had this car we are constantly having stability tract control sensors. We have replace them once and it is showing up again. When the stability tract control goes bad then the ABS and brake assist light also comes on along with it. I would like to see a recall fix for this problem as I know I am not the only one who has had these problems with their Impala.

- Floyd, VA, USA

Jun 162014

Impala

I was driving on the highway during rush hour traffic going approximately 65 per hour and the service traction control came on and then said that engine power was reduced. It also had the engine light come on and stayed on all the way home. I then got home safely that time and shut off the car about 20 minutes later went out and all lights had gone off and was back to normal. This has happened at least a dozen times since then. Then on 6/29/15 this happened again on the highway during rush hour traffic. However this time the car said throttle disabled and the car shut off completely in the middle of the highway and I had to try and get to the side of the road without incident. After about 10 or 15 minutes the car then started back up and the lights went out and I was able to drive again. Then later in the day I returned home and tried to leave in my car and it would not start and had no power what so ever. The key also would not come out of the ignition and I just had that recall dealt with on the key. I could have been seriously injured in this last incident. This needs to be recalled and GM needs to pay for what I am out of pocket because I now had to get a rental car to work. I have read pages upon pages of complaints just like mine, which is ridiculous that this issue has not been fixed. Does it take someone getting injured or killed for GM to do something?

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 152011

Impala

Traction control light, and reduced engine power light came on. Lost power to the engine and had to stop. Turned the ignition off. Waited 10 minutes and started the car. Ran fine until I got home. This happened a few times before I took the car in. Found out it was an accelerator pedal position (app) sensor.

- Northfield, MN, USA

May 012015

Impala

I was driving on the highway and all of the sudden check engine light and traction control light come on. Warnings service traction control and reduced engine power are displayed and all but shuts my car off in the middle of the highway causing cars to slam on their brakes and swerve barely missing me. I get over to the side of the road and turn the car off. Then turn the car back on same messages and won't go no where. Do the same thing again only waiting longer and no messages but check engine light still on. I drive home. Next day no warnings or lights. Couple weeks go by does the whole warnings and lights and slows car down again but doesn't completely shut it down. I was in regular street traffic this time about 35mph. And now it's more frequent sometimes a couple times a day to once every day or two. This needs to be looked at. I'm reading about this problem on a lot of Impala causing major problems and wrecks.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Apr 042014

Impala 6-cyl

The traction control, stability track and ABS lights all came on. The engine power reduced light came on and engine power was lower. I had the left speed sensor replaced and the accelerator sensor replace on August 8th after the dealership had fixed this problem in April and again in June. I was told they changed sensors then also, but I am not sure of which ones at that time. I am now having the same problem for the forth time. Replacing the sensors every few months is getting expensive. Also not very safe. I contacted GM and the woman told me to take it back to the dealership to be fixed again. I have fixed the same issue three times already. They were of no help at all.

- Meadville, PW, USA

Apr 132015

Impala 6-cyl

While on my way home from work on a major highway, message lit up saying engine power is reduced, service traction control, then said starting disabled and the engine shut off mid highway with no time to react. I was almost hit by several cars, tractor trailer, and buses. I had no power steering, nothing. I have 5 children who are often in the car with me and this created a mess of traffic and could have killed people. After being scared out of my mind and stuck half in a highway lane for 5 min with traffic swerving, the car started back up with no issues and I continued home. No sign of anything today, however I am reading thousands of complaints online from other Chevy Impala owners who state they are experiencing the same issues and it comes and goes and have tried everything to fix it and it still happens every so often sometimes more than others. Someone is going to lose a life.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Feb 232015

Impala

While driving onto a highway when I reach 56 miles per hour my vehicle lost power and slow down the brakes locked and the electrical system went haywire. The locks started locking and unlocking while the vehicle was in motion. The lights started flickering on and off and the car started shaking rapidly and the brakes locked up. Once I started the vehicle back up and the ignition switch seemed to be stuck and the air bag light displayed on the dashboard. When I turn off the vehicle and try to remove the key the key will not come out so I have to put it into neutral and back into park a few times before it will release the key. Since this has occurred I hear a knocking sound in my glove box when the door is open and closed and sometime hours after ill hear the noise and the electric will flicker.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Apr 202013

Impala

While driving on the highway at approximately 70 mph the car began to lose acceleration and dropped all the way down to 40 mph. The check engine light, service traction control, service stabilitrak, and reduced engine power message displayed as well. The car began shaking and would not accelerate. I had to pull off to the side of the highway and turn the car off to try and get the issue to subside. Once back on the road, not more than 3 miles later the issue surfaced again. I ended up having to get off the highway and drive (very slowly) back to my house. Not sure if it will be safe to drive back to the dealership to be addressed. I have replaced the wheel hubs and throttle pedal sensor in the past few years in an attempt to correct. This was an intermittent issue until recently and even after having it fixed by a certified Chevrolet dealership, the issue occurred again. This most recent incident could have ended in serious injury had I not been lucky enough to not have any cars immediately around me. With the amount of consistent complaints about this particular issue with this particular model of car I hope it can be addressed.

- Oakdale, CT, USA

Mar 162012

Impala 8-cyl

I woke up in the hospital with a brain injury, tongue nearly cut in half, thoratic sprain, neck sprain, etc. From what I have been told, I was going at least 60-65 mph when I had my front end crash and my head went through the windshield. I had numerous issues already submitted to Chevy, such as the steering issues I had. The air bags did not deploy. I later was driving down the road and when I was turning my vehicle shut off.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 182015

Impala 6-cyl

I have been having the service engine light come intermittently along with the service traction control light. I have had a technician look at this for me and advised that the throttle control sensor (accelerator pedal) is going in and out. The accelerator pedal is connected to a sensor that drives the throttle on the engine. When this happens intermittently the vehicle looses engine power and traction control.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Feb 132015

Impala 6-cyl

This is the 3rd time: While driving, speed reduces dramatically, service engine indicator comes on followed by warnings: "engine power reduced" and "service traction control". my research on the issue to find out how to fix, shows many people having the exact same problem that isn't getting resolved by GM. Engine power reduction to such a dramatic speed can be extremely dangerous for not only the operator of the affected vehicle, but also anyone else on the road near the driver.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jan 282015

Impala 6-cyl

Driving to work and the service traction control light went on then engine power reduced and throttle error and the car would not accelerate and powered down. I was at red light so I turned the car off and turned it back on the car would not accelerate so I turned it off again and waiting put my flashers on, waited a few more minutes and the car finally started to move. I took to the dealership because it's a powertrain issue and I have 100K powertrain warranty and the dealership said it's not powertrain and wanted $778 to repair, I called Chevy after seeing the forums only this is a known issue thousands of people with the same complaint and Chevy said they are going to work with the dealership. I have to be back at work Monday and drive through a very rough neighborhood I do not want to breakdown in that neighborhood.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Jul 162014

Impala

This incident has happened several times leading up to the check engine light remaining on. As I would be driving down the road at approximately 45 mph. The vehicle would suddenly start to jerk to accelerate and decelerate without me wanting to change speeds. Several of these incidents have been while I was driving in traffic. Then the message "reduced engine power" and "service traction control" would appear on the dash and the traction control light and check engine light would come on and stay on. This would also cause the car to reduce its speed and cause significant acceleration problems. I replaced the accelerator position sensor as indicated by a code look up and haven't had anymore problems with the car as of October 25, 2014.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Sep 032014

Impala 6-cyl

The vehicle started to beep and gauges didn't work then work. The gauges went back and forth. The locks locked and unlocked. I started to drive and didn't know how fast I was going because the speedometer didn't work. The engine seemed to work harder to reach highway speed. When I turned the car off, the stabilitrak light came off but check engine light came on. I took the car to the dealer and they cleared the codes for the check engine light but couldn't find what caused the stabilitrak light to come on. They took the electrical harness off and put electrical grease on to keep moisture out. That didn't solve the problem. I still have the stabilitrak light to come on and gauges not to work. Now, it happens when I am driving. I feel that someday this will happen and have no control of my vehicle because one time I felt the power steering to go but come back right away.

- Potter, WI, USA

Sep 172014

Impala

While driving, I got to about 60mph and the traction control as well as tire pressure light came on and engine power reduce. I dropped to 40-45mph then system said entering trottle mode and vehicle cut in road. I pulled over, turned ignition off and waited 2 or 3 minutes then I was able to restart vehicle.

- Roanoke, AL, USA