Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Aug 262019

Impala

The service air bag light keeps coming on while we are driving our car. And IżM worried that the air bags will not deploy in a accident, or they may deploy while driving down the road. I donżT want to disable the air bags but not knowing why the light for the air bags is coming on. I have looked online to see what I can do about this and I have found out that this is happening a lot on the 2006-2014 Impala's. and people have taken there car in to the dealership to get fixed and the dealership canżT figure out why this is happening. And they canżT seem to fix it. Plus our service our traction control keeps coming on and the dealership canżT figure out why this is happening. This seems to be the problem with this car and the dealership canżT figure out why this is happening so they canżT fix it. So IżM worried that this car isnżT safe to drive because the air bags might not deploy in a accident or if they will just deploy driving down the road.

- Sedro Woolley, WA, USA

Apr 162019

Impala

While driving on roads and interstates, I frequently receive a dash notification "engine power reduced" and my service traction control and check engine light comes on. When this happens, my vehicle loses speed and cannot accelerate above 40mph - dangerous, especially on an interstate. The notification lights and symptoms occasionally go away after turning the engine off and on, only to come back later. I cannot find and answer to this problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 292018

Impala

ABS and traction control lights intermittently come on causing car to jerk with acceleration, or occasionally, to slip during braking. Wheel hub assemblies have been replaced multiple times and the same faulty issue keeps reoccurring. Low quality wiring and position and tautness going into the harness are a recipe for disaster. Sensors can be set off with as little effort as gently rocking the car, definitely going off if there are any bumps or potholes in the road. Also had other annoying although less dangerous issues: Door lock actuators and heating/ac actuator, causing door locks to not respond and causing a horrible clicking noise in the car, respectively. I have walked away from the car thinking I had locked it only to find one or more of the doors did not lock. Actually had items taken from the car. The clicking noise from under the dash was sporadic, usually upon starting the car, but occasionally while driving with no notice. This ear splitting, headache inducing noise would for the most part stop after several minutes of driving, but would sometimes continue after the car was shut off and would drain the battery. The electrical system throughout the car is horrible.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Nov 142018

Impala

The Impala displays service traction control followed by engine power reduced. Throws a code for throttle body sensor, but that does not fix the issue. Accelerator pedal position sensor is another reason they say, which also does not fix the issue. My car has shut off on me going down the interstate, on a highway, and and over a hill. It shuts down and says 'starting disabled, service throttleż with no warning at all. Several people have had the same exact problem and no one seems to know how to fix it. They say wiring but it never fixed anything.

- Athens, AL, USA

Jul 062018

Impala

The engine will shut off. Then the stereo will turn off for a second then come back on and display service stabilitrak. The vehicle was stationary at a stoplight. The engine has always come back on when trying to restart it with the key.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jun 012017

Impala

"takata recall " everytime I drive my vehicle 5 seconds the car jerks makes loud sound, starts beeping, messages appear flashing back and forth engine power reduced, service traction control, car slows down, car jerks and chugs, makes loud sound, beeping noise from message board, throttle something appears, steering wheel locks, car stops, can't steer car out of road, won't crank, my car sits in the road.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Nov 032017

Impala

Airbag light is on paid to get it fixed and it's still on afraid to drive it if I get into an accident it will probably not deploy the electrical system doesn't work my brake lights don't work to fix them and get new balls it's all electrical I seen there's a recall but I bought the car after the recall so I had no idea there was a recall for the electrical system wiring and the electrical system ignition my key gets stuck in the ignition and I have to push a button in the back in order for it to release

- Flint, MI, USA

May 232018

Impala

As I go down the road the engine light comes on and the stabletrek waring trackion light also comes on light and power reduce engine power light comes on but not all the time it goes off after a day or so and than no one can fine the problem.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Jun 142016

Impala

For the last year or so I have dealt with several issues that started happening all of a sudden and all at once. For starters, my air bag indicator come on and off when I drive at any speed. An independent mechanic could not diagnose it and the dealership attempted to diagnose it and all he said was I needed to replace my air bags which would have cost roughly $3400. In addition to that, my ABS indicator began going on and off and has caused my car to feel as if it was on a hydroplane mode. When it turns on it occasionally makes my car jerk on the road. I went to an auto supply store for diagnosis and was told there was no reading so nothing was wrong, dealership said the same. The light shut off and it was like deja vu all over again. Also, I have had to replace the door actuators at least one to two times a year because they continue to break. Finally, my new batteries the last few of years have been completely drained for no apparent reason and I had to replace it several times due to damaged batteries even though I replace it with brand new car batteries.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 262017

Impala

This vehicle traction control problem never ends

- Burien, WA, USA

Sep 162017

Impala

Lost power and shut off completely when accelerated at high speed when getting onto a freeway. My husband was able to coast to an exit and get off. After waiting some minutes, turned car back on and was able to go home. Also traction control alert comes on when driving slow in a parking lot or making a slow right or left turn. Causes a grinding noise.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Aug 202017

Impala

My sterring wheel on my 2009 Chevy Impala has recently started getting stuck once the engine hs been cut off and parked. Sometimes I don't have any problems turning the key and it cranks right on up while majority of the time I have to rock my steering wheel back and forth while turning the key. My tire and pressure light stays on even after I have brought new tires and a oil change. My actuator makes a clicking noise when I crank up my car and last about a minute or two then stops.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jun 072017

Impala

Tires: Are constantly needing replaced have had three sets of 60K goodyears tires in addition to a set of perillis with about 40 % tread since febraury 2015. Brakes: Three sets of brakes on vehicale since February 2015. Everytime vehicale goes to mechanic they state that rotors are severly warped. Electrical: Having issues with ABS traction control. This is causing reduced engine power when turning. When crossing a main intersections the car coasts across oncoming traffic. Actuators and wiring to many vehicale components having ongoing issues. Air conditioner, doors, door locks, relays the main issue I am having is non operational doors locks in vehicale. I have to craw through the car to open the dppr locks. I have young children and my daughter was standing out of the car awaiting me to unlock the doorr. Another vehicale pulling into a parking spot nearly hit my child. Another incedent was having items stolen from vehicale due to intermittacy of the locks. It has really become a major safety issue for me with this car. This issue with locks became a problem about two weeks ago. I stated to chevorlet I was able to press lock or unlock a couple of times and was always able to at least free one lock within the rear and front. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated thanks ra' ed abdel-hadi

- South Charleston, WV, USA

May 082017

Impala

After starting my car and pressing on the accelerator car starts to jerk lights flicker and the message service traction control. The car will sometimes lose power. And does this while driving and will not accererate. I have changed the accerator petal positioning sensor as well as the battery. I do not feel safe driving this care whatsoever. And I've seen that many other Impala have had this issues. This has happened many times. I should not have to pay for repairs when this is clearly a manufacturer issue.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 082017

Impala 4WD 6-cyl

For the last two days, I have driven my vehicle. Every time I would drive over 40 mph, the engine would lock up. The vehicle would jerk back and forth. The car would do this every time I would try and drive over 40 mph, no matter the roadway or stop at an intersection. Whenever this happened, the check engine light would stay on. A month before this problem started, my father had been driving the car and had an auto accident.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 232016

Impala

This problem includes more items than your form allows me to check. It stated out about 7 months ago when you would be driving down the road and the service stable tract and service traction control light would come on causing the engine power to be reduced which is an annoence but is also a safety issue is you are passing someone on a two lane road when it happens and you can not complete the pass due to reduced power. If you pulled off to the side of the road and shut the car off the service lights would go away and may not come on again for weeks. This problem went away after a couple of months and then the car started a new one with a no crank, no start problem which when this would happen you would get up to three warning lights, (service table trac, service traction control, and service air bags) with time the no crank, no start problem kept coming and going and the only light that came on when it wouldn't crank or start was the service air bag light. If you kept trying to start it after 3 to 30 times it would start and run fine and may not act up again for 1 day or even up to a week. A couple of weeks ago I had my wife switch cars with me as this was the car she drove to work daily and I didn't want her to get stranded. I am so glad I did that as the very first day I drove it to work on my way home while driving down the highway the car shut off for no reason and the service air bag light came on, I lost my power steering and power brakes and again I could have been in very big trouble if this would have happened when I was trying to pass another car and I don't think the air bags will deploy with the service air bag light on. I reported the to Chevrolet and they told me trying to fix it would be at my cost since it is out of warranty. The local dealer and found that they have been trying for 3 days to find a no crank, no start on a corvet with no luck.

- St. Marys, OH, USA

Oct 012016

Impala

I was driving on my way home and the stability light came on and the traction control light came on too.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 132016

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle began to swerve into adjacent lanes without warning. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the failure stopped. The failure recurred randomly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure milage was approximately 110,000.

- Pleasant Garden, NC, USA

Sep 142016

Impala

My computer is alerting me to "service stabilitrack". based on some quick searches, is seems that there may have been a recall on this issue. Where do I find out what to do and whether or not it is covered under a recall? it seems to lose power and sometimes it feels as if there is no power steering.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Sep 072016

Impala

I got an alert that I should "service traction control" and that "engine power is reduced". the car began jerking. It has happened several times now and has actually caused the car to shut off when I was traveling at high speed (65mph).

- Niskayuna, NY, USA