Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Mar 012019

Impala

"takata recall" having problems with the rotors, tire end rods, and motor mount.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Jan 012019

Impala

I placed my car in park, while the car was still running. When I got back in, and tried to put it into gear, the console shifter seemed like it was locked in place, and wouldn't let me put the car in gear. There is apparently a switch under the console cover that allows me to temporarily fix this issue, but I have to do so every time I want to put my car into gear from park. Only happens when my car is in park. I don't know if this is a recall issue or not. But any reply on this issue, as well as what I need to do to get it fixed would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

- Russell, KS, USA

Sep 182018

Impala

Lately, I have been having issues with the acceleration of my vehicle. Every so often, my engine light comes on and I get a "engine reduced" notification, and my vehicle slows down. Whenever I reach 40mph, my hp meter drops and my car starts shaking. There has even been a time when my car would completely shut off and display "ignition disabled". each time this has happened, the vehicle was moving on a highway. I went to a shop to get the error codes and I will upload them.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 222018

Impala

Engine suddenly died while I was driving. I pulled over to the side of the road and it almost caused an accident because power steering went out. I was able to start the engine back up no problem. I had a check engine light on because of the oil pressure sensor. I had just replaced it the day before. I suspect it had something to do with that, but im not sure. If I was on the highway im pretty sure I would have gotten in an accident. This isnt the first time this car has almost caused an accident because of faulty car parts, this car is dangerous.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Sep 012017

Impala

Car hesitates on acceleration from a stop. Rpms go up but car goes very slow, like if it has lost a lot of power. Once it stops hesitating it bangs into gear and speeds forward. It can possibly cause a crash if driver is not aware its hesitating.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jan 082017

Impala 4WD 6-cyl

For the last two days, I have driven my vehicle. Every time I would drive over 40 mph, the engine would lock up. The vehicle would jerk back and forth. The car would do this every time I would try and drive over 40 mph, no matter the roadway or stop at an intersection. Whenever this happened, the check engine light would stay on. A month before this problem started, my father had been driving the car and had an auto accident.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 082017

Impala 6-cyl

For the last two days, I have driven my vehicle. Every time I would drive over 40 mph, the engine would lock up. The vehicle would jerk and shake back and forth. The car would do this every time I went over 40 mph, no matter if I was driving on a highway or road or coming to a stop at a red traffic light. Whenever this happened, the check engine light and the traction control light would stay on. This problem started weeks after I had an auto accident.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 252015

Impala

The car has erratic shifting. It seems as if the gears get stuck before they release especially when slowing down then taking off, like if you do a rolling stop or slow down at a traffic light but don't stop fully before accelerating again. It does not do it everytime you drive though. There is also a clicking coming from behind the dash. The actuator for air has gone bad.

- Floyd, VA, USA

Jun 042016

Impala

Car is currently at 134K miles and just gave me a "reduced power engine", "check traction control", and a check engine light. I googled around and came across a lot of Chevy Impala around the same year (07-10) are having the same problem. It seems to be something with the "accelerator pedal positioner pedal sensor. Also reading into it, it claims that this problem can cause the car to suddenly stop from 60mph all the way down to 20 or zero. This is extremely dangerous and needs to be looked into before someone is hurt or killed.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Nov 052015

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While starting the vehicle, the interlock failed and it was unable to shift gears from drive to park. The shifter failed to respond. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Aug 032015

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 70 mph, suddenly the vehicle independently decelerated and the traction control light illuminated. The contact stated the vehicle also intermittently failed to accelerate when idled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,830.

- Crystal Springs, MS, USA

Oct 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at 35 mph, the vehicle lost power and jerked. In addition, the service stability traction and power reduced was displayed across the message board. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Rolling Prairie, IN, USA

Sep 152011

Impala

Traction control light, and reduced engine power light came on. Lost power to the engine and had to stop. Turned the ignition off. Waited 10 minutes and started the car. Ran fine until I got home. This happened a few times before I took the car in. Found out it was an accelerator pedal position (app) sensor.

- Northfield, MN, USA

Apr 022015

Impala

Driving on interstate vehicle suddenly lost all power and would not accelerate & quickly decelerated with any prior warning. 18 wheeler almost rear ended me. Instrument panel displayed "engine power reduced", "service traction control, " "service stabilitrak", and "check engine light." Finally exited interstate safely and shut down engine thinking it was going to blow up and after 2-3 tries to restart messages disappeared and vehicle seemed to be ok. Took vehicle to mechanic & found codes evidencing the loss of communication between the tac and or the app units causing vehicle to go into limp mode but could not get the condition to reoccur. Mechanic had to remove codes to permit to duplicate problem, could not duplicate and told me to wait until reoccurred. While looking for repair shop was scared it would happen again received letter from GM stating if the above condition had occurred they would fix. Called GM dealer mentioned letter they refused to repair unless the messages were present on panel, refused to look at the vehicle. Called GM customer service referencing letter, explained GM dealer refused to repair. Was told by angela issue was safety related problem but GM would not admit to safety issue. GM agreed to pay for one hour of diagnostic time to determine if vehicle qualified for repair, dealer was unable to duplicate problem, refused to repair. Called GM and was told no repair would be made even though the problem had occurred as stated in the letter and to wait until situation occured again then not to start engine and tow to GM dealer. Was told GM would not pay for tow or inconvenience and if they could see codes they might repair problem. This is definitely a safety issue since when this occurs the vehicle loses all power and basically shuts down and will not accelerate beyond 5 mph if at all. Leo nelson 937-554-9778 noslenlsn@gmail.com

- Riverside, OH, USA

Jun 172015

Impala

Reduced engine power, car cuts off while driving. Chevy is aware of defect and refuses to recall

- Bunnell, FL, USA

May 312015

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. When driving up an incline at various speeds, the vehicle would independently lose power or fail to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Impala

I bought this car used in 2012. This car had periodic electrical issues and a CO2 sensor failure, but there were no issues comparable to a total transmission failure. Earlier in the winter of 2015, I noticed that the transmission would not shift up into fourth gear on the freeway until after ten minutes of driving. One day in ann arbor, mi, I was accelerating out of a turn when the RPM meter started revving to 6,000 and the engine lost power. After restarting the Impala, the car went a few hundred feet to red light and died at the intersection. I eventually was able to drop this vehicle off at an automotive repair shop following a long trip full of transmission failures and start-ups. The mechanic later stated that the transmission would need to be rebuilt. The repair cost was over $1,600 and the transmission still possesses the same problems that existed prior to this event.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Apr 182015

Impala

On 18 Apr 2015, my 2009 Chevrolet Impala experienced complete and total failure of the transmission. Since the warranty is 5 years/100,000 miles, I was not eligible for repair due to being 8 months beyond the warranty period. This despite the fact that the vehicle only had 74,000 miles on it at the time.

- Water Valley, MS, USA

Feb 232015

Impala

While driving onto a highway when I reach 56 miles per hour my vehicle lost power and slow down the brakes locked and the electrical system went haywire. The locks started locking and unlocking while the vehicle was in motion. The lights started flickering on and off and the car started shaking rapidly and the brakes locked up. Once I started the vehicle back up and the ignition switch seemed to be stuck and the air bag light displayed on the dashboard. When I turn off the vehicle and try to remove the key the key will not come out so I have to put it into neutral and back into park a few times before it will release the key. Since this has occurred I hear a knocking sound in my glove box when the door is open and closed and sometime hours after ill hear the noise and the electric will flicker.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Nov 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the transmission would go into a hard transition of gears very slowly before shifting into a normal gear. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was not able to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA