Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

May 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the steering seized and the vehicle exhibited a loss of engine power. The contact crashed into the guard rail and the front driver's air bag failed to deploy. The contact suffered unknown injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not destroyed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system) and believed that it's directly related to the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Mountain Green , UT, USA

Oct 312014

Impala 6-cyl

Car states reduced engine power stalling to about 10mph very dangerous. Many complaints about this issue.

- Attalla, AL, USA

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when approaching a stop, the "low oil pressure shut off engine immediately" warning light illuminated. The contact checked the oil consumption and was there was no shortage of oil. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Centerfield , UT, USA

Oct 132014

Impala 6-cyl

My engine power reduced light came on alone with the traction light.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Sep 112014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated and stalled. The contact stated that prior to the vehicle stalling all the lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the passenger side air bag light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the modules in the communication circuit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 10 mph and making a turn, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal operation. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred when making a turn. The dealer replaced the front driver side wheel bearing, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 222013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving I keep getting message stating reduce engine power and the car will start sking and lowering speed. There also is electrical problems all the time with a any reason and then they will start working again. I even got pulled over once over this issue.

- Baltimroe, MD, USA

Sep 172014

Impala

While driving, I got to about 60mph and the traction control as well as tire pressure light came on and engine power reduce. I dropped to 40-45mph then system said entering trottle mode and vehicle cut in road. I pulled over, turned ignition off and waited 2 or 3 minutes then I was able to restart vehicle.

- Roanoke, AL, USA

Sep 182014

Impala

Was driving when the traction control light came on and message came across saying service traction control: Then check engine light started flashing rapidly at the same time. Follow by a very loud knocking noise from the engine. Then speed would not accelerate. Turned on flashers and coasted into parking lot. Vehicle had troubles restarting and would not move. Steering wheel was hard to turn. Tries to die while idling after you get it to start. Did diagnostics and code P0300 random misfire detection power train unable to establish a link to the vehicle. Fuel system 2 is ol, lift at 0%, spark plug 13.5, fuel level low 38.8, ECU 14.417, low acceleration. Contacted local Chevy dealership and was told it will cost $35 to tow it to their shop and about $85 just to run a diagnostic on their machine. If it is a lifter the cost will be over $700 to get fixed. I purchased this automobile in August 2013 and have just had it a year. So now I have a car payment on a car that doesn't run. I bought it at wk motors in sedalia, mo. This is the second time this car has had issues and without a warranty the dealership wont do anything!!!

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Sep 172014

Impala

I was driving my car into a series of turns at approximately 45 mile per hour when it seemed I lost engine power rapidly and the car decreased speed to approximately 20 mile per hour I could not accelerate. I could barely steer and braking was really difficult. I managed to get the car off of the road where it set for approximately a minute or two before it would restart. I contacted GM and my dealership and did not get a satisfactory answer either place. This is exactly what my recall letter describes yet I was told that my issues were not due to the recall. I am greatly disappointed to be paying for a vehicle that is not safe for me to drive.

- Buckeye, WV, USA

Sep 012013

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the engine failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. In addition, the contact stated that although the vehicle has never been involved in a crash the air bags had to be replaced a total of eleven times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Aurora , CO, USA

Sep 042014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, it made an abnormal thumping sound lasting thirty seconds. The problem recurred multiple times. The vehicle was the taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the left temperature actuator assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,006.

- Greenwood, MO, USA

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 65 mph, the traction control and engine power reduced warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle stalled and was able to be restarted. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Bridgeport, OH, USA

Jul 052014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The contact was able to switch the shifter to the neutral position and restarted the engine. The vehicle resumed operation as normal. The contact indicated that the failure had occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Courtland, NY, USA

Aug 302014

Impala

I cranked my 2009 Chevrolet Impala leaving a nearby gas station and the message service traction control flashed, then engine power reduced, and the check engine light came on. My car drove sluggish home at a very slow speed. Luckily I was only about 5 minutes from home. The next morning no message was displayed and the check engine light went off. I took it to advance auto parts and the code P2127 was displayed twice - throttle pedal position sensor. I see most of these complaints are similar to mine I just happen not to be on the highway. Is GM investigating this because this is serious with multiple occurrences?

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 112009

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 65 mph, the traction control and engine reduce power warning indicators illuminated. Also, the vehicle's speed suddenly decelerated to 45 mph and the air bag sensor and tire monitoring system indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 2,000. Updated 10/22/2014 updated 4/1/2015

- Winstonville, MS, USA

Jul 252014

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when the check engine indicator illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted and performed normally without any indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 7,600.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Mar 192010

Impala 6-cyl

I had just turned onto this road, had not even gone a mile. No speed, no black marks, car shut down ran off the road and hit a tree stump. Total the car. The steering wheel was bent almost in half. I have pictures of the car. I got this car new, so all miles we're put on it by me. I broke my hip, back, knee, dislocated my elbow, crushed my ankle and foot. Had a head injury, a deflated lung. I was in the hospital for two months and a nursing home for a month. I have had 14 surgeries. Still not able to work or do a lot of things for my self. With the recalls showing the issues of the engine shutting off, I need this looked into.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jun 182013

Impala 6-cyl

Mine seems to have the same problems as most people. Traction control. Service airbag, reduced engine power lights come on. Car dies while driving once the lights come on. Doors don't unlock unless it's done manually. Messages flash on my readout over and over again. Tells me to check tire pressure on each tire even though the pressure is fine. Detects passenger in passenger seat when there is nothing in the passenger seat. Ridiculous! I am not ever buying another one!!

- New Haven, KY, USA

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the reduced power warning message and the traction control warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and could be restarted. The contact mentioned that when the vehicle was restarted, the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 51,070.

- Flint, MI, USA