Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Jun 012013

Impala 8-cyl

My Impala has a very bad electrical problem. My air bag light has been on and the manual said it can deflate at any given time. My wipers half the time don't want to come on or work. My horn and alarm sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. the car shakes really bad when I drive it, especially the steering wheel. It also burns oil like crazy.I trust my 99' Chevy Suburban over my brand new 09' Impala. It is the most dangerous car I have ever had and I wish I never would have bought it. It definitely has triple the amount of problems then my 99' Suburban had.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

Jun 102013

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the passenger's side air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who advised that the air bag wiring that was under the front seat would require replacing. He contact stated that the same failure had occurred one year prior to the recent failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 35,600.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 272013

Impala 6-cyl

3rd trip to the dealer for service air bag light.

- Endwell, NY, USA

Apr 272013

Impala 6-cyl

Air bag light indicated needs service. 3rd visit to dealer for same repair problem.

- Endwell , NY, USA

Nov 202012

Impala 6-cyl

The city are working on the road and the pavement had a big dip in it and the car bottom out, and than the air bag lite came on and says its the passage side. I took it to a Chevy service center for repairs and they said the pps module went bad, the dealer said no recall on it.I think this is not safe or fair.cost to fix $848.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Sep 212012

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the service air bag warning light illuminated momentarily. The vehicle was not taken to dealer or a repair shop for diagnostic testing. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 08V517000 (air bags:frontal) and contacted the manufacturer who advised that the VIN was not included in the recall. The approximate failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 012012

Impala

Both my husband and myself have 2009 Impala. They both have issues with the airbag lights coming on and off. Has anyone else experienced problems?

- Calabash, NC, USA

May 012012

Impala

Car stalled on the interstate. Merged car to break down lane without being hit. Traction control light illuminated. Car would not restart for about 20 minutes. Car then restarted and warning light was off. Previous electrical issues with this vehicle including rear windows that will not roll down and defective air bag sensor.

- So. Strafford, VT, USA

Oct 142011

Impala 6-cyl

The air bag light illuminated. We took the vehicle to GMC -Buick dealer who said there was a problem with seatbelt anchor assembly and has had a recall. They said the car had been in for the recall id # 89931 and had been checked. We did not own the vehicle at that time. We bought the vehicle on 8/ 31/11 from a different dealership. We had owned the vehicle only 6 weeks when the problem arose. We don't know if problem was ever solved or if the trouble was just cleared. The light was off when we left the dealership this time. We believe if problem was properly repaired on the recall there would not be a problem at this time. This dealer (young- Buick GMC) of owosso, mi said the cost of the repair is $190.79. We don't think that we should have to pay for this repair because it was a recall and the problem still exist. Evidently the problem still exists it must of not been fixed properly.

- Corunna, MI, USA

May 192011

Impala

Service air bag light has come on multiple times. Taken into dealer each time, which found the following codes, B001A, B0014, B0020. Dealer found and repaired the following, cpa connector to not be properly installed - R&R connector and installed properly, cpa connector under seat to be out of place - R&R connector and properly installed, found loose cpa connector on pass side seat belt pretensioner - R&R connector and add dielectric, reinstall connector and cpa properly, found program update for related complaint, performed program update on SDM and reset. When speaking to service manager, he said that there maybe a corrosion issue with the connectors within the air bag wiring system.

- Troy, MI, USA

Feb 082011

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was sitting idle at a traffic stop when a vehicle crashed into the driver side door of the contacts vehicle. The airbags did not deploy. The impact caused the window glass to shatter and the contact sustained lacerations to the mouth and left arm. His neck and shoulders were also injured and the contact was transported to the hospital via ambulance. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a collision facility. The failure mileage was approximately 59,000.

- Washington, NC, USA

Apr 302009

Impala

The contact rented a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 45 mph another vehicle crashed into her and none of the air bags deployed. The seat belts also did not securely hold any of the passengers. The police appeared on the scene and 4 major injuries were reported. All 4 passengers were taken to the hospital to have their injuries treated. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an independent repair shop. She was not sure if the vehicle was ever examined for the cause of failure. The failure and current mileages were 12,000.

- Madisonville, KY, USA

Apr 042009

Impala

We purchased a 2009 Chevy Impala in April. My wife has a tail bone medical issue that necessitates that she sit on a special pillow while riding in a vehicle. The seat displaces her weight evenly across the seat. The problem is that the air bag sensor on the passenger compartment doesn't recognize her weight sitting on the seat, so the passenger side air bag doesn't show it is operative. We returned to the dealer who told us to set a magazine underneath her to make the sensor work. It does activate the passenger air bag "on" button sometimes, however, the majority of the time it will not activate and my wife is not protected. I called General Motors and they didn't have any solution to this safety issue, except to tell me that my wife should ride in the back seat! the dealership has no further answers for us. We are extremely frustrated that my wife is riding in a brand new vehicle unprotected by her airbag nearly all the time. Can you please investigate? thank you!

- Lake Mills, IA, USA