Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

Apr 152016

Impala

The contact owned a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 40 mph, the driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into the side rail. The vehicle sustained significant damage and was destroyed and towed. The air bags did not deploy. The driver sustained a neck and hip injury, which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Saganaw, MN, USA

May 052016

Impala

While driving home from work my car started jerking the ESC came on engine light traction control system pulled over almost got hit by two other cars. Also the airbag lights been on the sensors have all been replaced and new front airbags.

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Apr 302016

Impala

Service air bag light comes on. Intermittent some times, then stays on for weeks. 63,000 miles.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Apr 042016

Impala

The contact owned a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle crashed into an embankment. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard and the insurance company deemed it destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. A few days after the crash, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 106,233.

- Fordyce, AR, USA

Aug 082010

Impala

Keeps telling me to check air bag, but not on recall list. What can I do. Taken to dealership, but no help

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Mar 252016

Impala 6-cyl

There has been an consent issue occurring with my vehicle's airbag light coming on. Every time I take it to the dealership I pay $100 for a diagnostic test for them to tell me they are unsure of the issue, but they reset the system for the light to turn off. 4 to 6 months goes by and the light comes on "again". as of right now I do not feel safe that my vehicle will protect me down the highway and I would like and investigation to be opened. Thank you for your time and concern. Have a great day.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 062015

Impala

Air bag light randomly coming on, now more frequently. Scan of system shows air bag pretensioner issue.

- Dansville, MI, USA

Jan 032012

Impala

Air bag light came on twice under warrantee as soon as warrantee was over light came on again {2 months out of warrantee] was told by alantic Chevrolet that it would cost $180 plus part and labor to fix airbag light.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Apr 152009

Impala

I bought a 2009 Impala new after 12 weeks the air bag light came on with 2000 miles. Was fix by Chevrolet. Then about 1year later the light came on again 6000 miles was fix again by Chevrolet. Then 1 year later light came on again 10000 miles was told by Chevrolet it would be $180 to check code then plus parts and labor.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Dec 102015

Impala

"service airbags" displayed on dash. Will come in and go off randomly. Searching internet I found this link to report the issue. Seems as if this is a defect that should have a recall issued, its a safety issue!

- Burton, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Impala

Air bag light comes on repeatedly.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Aug 102015

Impala

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Millstadt, IL, USA

Impala

Takata recall - I have had my vehicle shut off while I was driving down the road. This has occurred at least 3 times. GM is aware and has ignored my requests for two years. A few months ago, GM attorney told me to take my vehicle to a GM dealership as soon as possible and the recall repairs would be done at no cost to me. I made him aware that my vehicle had already been sitting at a GM dealership for months waiting for the repair and the dealership refused to repair it and will not provide a rental vehicle. Prior to the recall, I had numerous steering issues and had taken it to GM dealerships just to have them return it with the same problems. When the vehicle shut off, I was in a bad crash and the airbag did not deploy, resulting in me going through the windshield.

Impala

My vehicle's ignition switch shut off, which caused me to lose steering. When I crashed, the airbag failed to deploy. I was driving in a large parking lot and went over a speed bump. I was knocked out but the police report indicated there were no signs of braking or steering. I took my Impala to the GM dealership over 12 times.

Oct 142015

Impala

October 2015, while driving display came up with message "service air bag" with icon also showing on display. Checking into this message I found that this is a serious problem and that I cannot depend on having air bag protection if in an accident. Checking various sources online, found hundreds of complaints and that when many serious accidents occured, no air bags deployed. Called my GM dealer and was told that problem could be caused by several different problems and could mean installing new air bags at a cost of $1200. With all the current recalls for the takade air bags, why are these air bag defects on the chevolet Impala's not being recalled. They present a real danger to passengers in these cars. In some of the complaints online, even after the cars were serviced by the dealers, the problems reoccured. I am an 81 year old female with out the resources to pay several hundred dollars to, maybe, have the problem fixed and I am sure many other owners of the Impala's are in the same circumstance. I feel this is a serious safety issure and should be considered as such.

- Warren, MI, USA

Sep 112015

Impala

Summary: October 19, 2015 vehicle safety complaint air bag system alarming, as air bag light is on all the time for all conditions stationary, in motion, on a city street or a highway, turning. Air bag alarm light turned on for more than one week. Previous corrective actions implemented by Chevrolet dealership are in question and not effective as the issue has returned. Previous incident reported for same issue July 2014 ODI numner 10615989 electrical connector issues were diagnosed by the dealership, dealership identified fretting failures, implemented corrective actions. Dealer is charging service fees for safety related air bag failures, the dealer should not be charging fees for repairs, this issue should be treated as a recall. The dealer should not be passing cost of repairs to the customer for vital safety systems of the equipment.

- Dighton, MA, USA

Impala

Vehicle shutoff and I lost steering and braking causing vehicle to crash and airbags did not deploy. The vehicle was in motion.

Sep 252015

Impala

The airbags light go on and off intermittently. This has been happening for over a year. We've had it looked at and they never can figure it out. Is there a recall"??"

- Kimberly, WI, USA

Sep 292015

Impala

Service air bag came up on dash display. Checked for code and found none. Restarted car and light still on. Worried about air bag if there was an accident. Found many others online with the same problem. Is there a recall ?

- High Point, NC, USA

Jun 032015

Impala

Services air bag light intermitent

- Mexico, NY, USA