Jul 232013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became very loose. The failure recurred several times before the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the power steering and the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic however, the technician was unable to diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Aug 152012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and it became hard to turn. The power steering warning light illuminated as the failure occurred. The contact stated that the front drivers seat became lower and they were unable to adjust the front or back. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for both failures where the failures were unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000. The current mileage was 95,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 032010

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving down the interstate and all of a sudden, steering got stiff and my dash light (wrench) lit up and chimed. I'm glad I had both hands on the steering wheel or else it could have taken me for a joy ride. Had my wife and my infant son at the time with me. This definitely needs to be attended to because it's a serious safety issue. Now, I have 100,000 miles on the car and it's still doing the same thing. I don't have the money to replace such a thing. This needs to pushed with GM to have recalled!

- Pierre, SD, USA

Jun 272007

Malibu 6-cyl

We bought the car used with 34,000 miles on it in 3/2006.there was a clunking in the steering when the steering wheel was turned. The dealership replaced the steering column on 12/2007 with 66,000 miles. The clunking was still there and we were told that this is normal. Since then the steering has gotten worse. The dealership has tried to find the problem but says it can find nothing wrong. Yet sometimes the steering will lockup at low speed when backing up or turning while stopped. It has not done this while driving at road speed (or I would not drive it). However at road speed the steering is very vague. It requires an almost quarter turn of the steering wheel to get the car to respond to a steering input to turn left or right. This is not safe. There is also warning lights that come on the dash, and warning bells that sound, and sometimes they go back off other times car needs to shut off and restarted and it is ok then. Check engine light stays on most of the time, again dealership can not find the problem. Sometimes the whole dash cluster goes out, the car stays running and they come back on after a time and again if you cut off and restart the car it is ok again for a while. The car currently has 150,000 on it and I have an independent mechanic checking it over to see if he can find the problem. The Chevrolet dealership can't find what is wrong to fix it, or so they say.

- Edinburg, VA, USA

Jun 192012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited a strange noise when driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was advised that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Dec 282012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while parking, the steering wheel failed with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis where it was advised to the contact that the motor and the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Dec 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and became hard to turn. The power steering warning light illuminated as the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed, which located the failure at the power steering motor and column. The steering rack and pinion were previously repaired, however the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not repaired for the recent failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,900 and the approximate current mileage was 29,000.

- Yonker , NY, USA

Jun 102013

Malibu

While pulling out of a business parking lot with my mother in the vehicle, I turned the steering wheel to back out and it wouldn't turn at first. I cut the car off and restarted it once again, this tie the steering wheel turned for about half a turn and the just kept on turning with a knock every full rotation. The wheels were not moving at all.no matter how many times I restarted the car it never worked. So I was forced to block half of the parking lot until my car was flat-bedded back to my house. Previous to this incident I had experienced the wheel stiffen up at low speeds but it always went right away, I have seen countless people online posting stories about this happening to them, and I was just driving on the freeway minutes earlier and this could've happened then and been a tragedy, why has this not been recalled"???"

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 092013

Malibu 6-cyl

This happened a few times throughout may, happened a few times this week (May 29- June 5, 2013), and happened almost twenty times today - within a half hour period! I will be driving and then out of nowhere the steering wheel locks up, making it unable to turn in either direction. The screen reads 'power steering' when this happens. This is incredibly dangerous. It has happened to me most frequently either right after turning or in the middle of a turn, which is unfortunate since the state I live in has rounded exit and onramps - exactly where it happened to me today. It has happened on the highway multiple times today, while waiting at a red light, and while driving in city traffic. There needs to be a recall on this, because I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to my getting in a serious accident due to how often it is happening.

- Henrico, VA, USA

May 212013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while making a turn at 45 mph, the power steering malfunctioned and it extremely difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering column and the power steering modular was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 142,000.

- Greenville , OH, USA

Jun 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu max. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed and could not be turned. The failure was experienced numerous times. The steering wheel returned to normal function after the engine was shut off and restarted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 130,000. Updated 07/16/13

- Saint Paul , MN, USA

May 302013

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 3 mph, there was a complete loss of powering steering with an illumination of a warning message. The engine was turned off and then restarted in order to reset. The vehicle was able to resume normally. The failure occurred sporadically. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000....updated 07-29-13

- Poland, OH, USA

Mar 182010

Malibu

First started in March 2013, my power steering will occasionally go out while driving, making it very difficult to steer. The only to get it to work is to shut the car off and restart it. I feel very unsafe driving myself and my children!

- Whitehall, NY, USA

May 262013

Malibu

Power steering stops intermittently. Warning light comes on. Then goes away if the car is re-started. Near accident because I couldn't steer.

- Havre, MT, USA

May 232013

Malibu 4-cyl

My daughter was driving to school this morning, and everything seemed to be fine. She pulled out of our neighborhood and into the turning lane on a fast moving street to turn into her school parking lot. As she went to turn, the steering wheel locked up right as she was turning into oncoming traffic. She said it took everything in her to turn the steering wheel enough just so she could get onto the curb and out of the way. She then went to park and could barely make it into a parking space. She said when she first started to turn, a sound went off; and a gold wrench sign appeared underneath her rpms. She turned off the car once in her parking space and then turned it back on, and the steering wheel was still locked. She did it one more time, and it finally unlocked. Her, my other daughter, and my friend's two kids who were also in the car, were extremely shaken and on the verge of tears. It was a terrifying experience for them all. My most precious things in life were almost in a serious (perhaps even deadly) accident because of this power steering failure. I know this is not the first time this has been reported because I found numerous accounts of this exact same thing happening online. It's time Chevrolet finally steps up, takes responsibility for this, and recalls all these vehicles to get this power steering failure fixed before it takes a life (or lives)!

- Ammon, ID, USA

May 172013

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering locked up while driving.

- Westminster, CO, USA

May 092013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering assist failed without warning. The vehicle was not taken or inspection. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Apr 272013

Malibu 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle in 2006 with 17,000 miles at the carmax superstore in naperville Illinois and have had several serious issues since. The leaking sunroof with the innumerable failed attempts at repair. The leak has never been resolved and I have resorted to covering the vehicle with a tarp during inclement weather. The constant clicking noise in the steering when moving the steering wheel back and forth and the severe stiffness in the steering wheel when curb side parking between parked vehicles. The intermittent ignition failure, the vehicle will not turn over unless you depress the accelerator slightly. There were countless futile attempts at repair for all these defects through out the years of warranty and extended warranty coverage. The failed attempts of correctly diagnosing and properly repairing these defects by the englewwood auto group in englewood New Jersey have left me unsatisfied and super frustrated. Today I am writing because the operators seat has now tilted to the right and is leaning against the center console. There was nothing of significance that occurred while driving that immediately alerted me of this problem, I was simply adjusting the seat when I noticed that the seat was rubbing against the center console. Upon inspecting underneath the seat I observed that the right rear corner does not rise when engaging the electric seat controls. The angle of the lean is so bad that it affects my posture and pains my lower back. I am also afraid that the seat will completely collapse while I am driving. When the seat is lowered all the way down it does level to its acceptable norm, but at 5 feet 4 inches tall I cannot operate safely that low to the floor. For a vehicle that is driven on average once a week it is plagued with some serious manufacturer defects that the dealerships' service department is unable or unwilling to repair.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Apr 292013

Malibu 6-cyl

The car steering wheel locked up and unable to control where it was going to guide as coming around curve. Ended up in ditch and shaking like crazy! im so afraid that something is going to happen. I want another car!

- Hollis, OK, USA

Apr 012008

Malibu 6-cyl

Sometimes when I crank there is no power steering at all. If I park on a incline it seems to never have power steering. The wrench light stays on in the dashboard and power steering is written across the radio panel.

- Henagar, AL, USA