Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Sep 102015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake lights constantly remained illuminated. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact mentioned that the brake light briefly deactivated when the brake pedal was depressed and illuminated afterwards. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake switch, the brake assembly light, and the multifunction switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

Jul 062015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the warning lights illuminated for the electronic stability control and the service stability traction control. The cruise control also failed to work. When the brake pedal was depressed, the lights did not illuminate and would remain illuminated when the contact was not applying the brakes. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), manufacturer recall numbers: 103668 (exterior lighting brake lights) and 103664 (service brakes hydraulic and switches). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Rayland, OH, USA

Jul 012012

Malibu

Driving car and the brake light came on. Then the check brake fluid warning came on. Then the service ESC came on. Took it to dealer on Monday morning they say the master cylinder and brake booster are both faulty and need to be replaced at a cost of $1056. I just purchased this car from cox Chevrolet on May 2 2015. This seems to be a much to common a problem for the car at only 53000 miles. Has to be a slow leak that was already a problem at the time of purchase. So far no satisfaction with cost of repair from dealership.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 152015

Malibu

There have been multiple repairs done on this car because of recalls and potential recall items. I still owe $7,000 on this vehicle! I feel like the manufacturer owes me money as well as the dealership who fixed the recalled items and the items that are not yet in recall that need to be repaired are going to cause a complete accident if this is not handled promptly. I have two small children and organize volunteer work in my area and do not have the money to fix it. I feel like this is entitled to me and I should not have to have a faulty car when I am also paying on it. I can offer more details when you contact me.

- Mayodan, NC, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the anti lock brake system and the electronic stability control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the BCM wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that after the repairs, it was discovered that the brake lights failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 272014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. Upon depressing the brake pedal, the RPM meter fluctuated independently. Also, the brake warning lamps on the rear of the vehicle flashed intermittently without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Burton, AL, USA

Feb 042014

Malibu

Emergency brake failed when releasing the brake. Loud noise was heard and then have no emergency brake. Took to the dealer and they told that it was owner fault, rear brake pad were under their specification and that created too much stress to the cable, snapping it. GM should revise their engineering design for this safety device. Emergency brakes should be available even if pads are low. Definitively it is and manufacturing (design) defect. It could be a fatal accident if main brakes fail and need to use the emergency brake and then cable snap leaving you without a proper braking device to stop your vehicle. GM still behind that it was customer fault and will not fix this manufacturing defect.

- Rincon, GA, USA

Dec 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Scottsville, NY, USA

Sep 052014

Malibu 6-cyl

While making a left turn at less than 20mph, vehicle lost traction, causing car to skid and leave roadway, and subsequently hit a cement culvert. Earlier the same week, the rear brake lights were intermittently illuminating when the brakes were not being applied. Vehicle required towing and repairs. Passenger in vehicle suffered lower back injury. Two weeks after accident, owner received recall 13036 notification.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jul 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact heard a clunking sound from the rear to the front of the vehicle. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the contact discovered that the speedometer was not registering the speed of the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose or repair the failure. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Duquesne, PA, USA

Jul 022012

Malibu 4-cyl

I have to change head lights 3 times. Only can take to dealer ($150). When having tires replaces and brakes. The ABS/ESC/traction control alarms lights stays on while driving. I contact Chevrolet now for last three years. I was told because my car is out warranty they will not approval repair. I recently taken car to dealer recall # 13036. That my car would be approval for loaner. Chevrolet/ dealer. All warranty have expires that would not approval for repairs there's no one to bill or pay for repairs and loaner. I will be taken this public. As a consumers and would like to stay a purchaser of GM/Chevy to warn everyone of their practices.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 062014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was coming to a stop and because my brake lights do not illuminate when brakes are applied, the person behind me nearly hit me. This was just the first of seven near collisions. I rarely drive my car now because of the overwhelming feeling of danger when I do drive it. Every time I get in to my car to go somewhere, I get in with the thought of I may never see my husband or children again. It is an awful stress. GM has done nothing to help me except tell me they understand.

- Kaukauna, WI, USA

May 212014

Malibu 4-cyl

When driving, service ESC and service traction show up on dash. When that appears the brake lights come on without applying brake and when brake is applied the brake lights don't come on. I spoke to Chevrolet and they said it was under recall but I had to take it into a dealer and have it checked to make sure that was the problem at a cost to me and anyway they can't fix it because they don't have the parts. So what are they waiting for? I am afraid to drive it and it is my young daughters car she drives to school. I don't want her to drive it but it is the only means of transportation for her. This is ridiculous knowing that it is recalled an nothing to be done about it. Until when, its to late or someone gets hurt.

- Alamo, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The dealer could not provide an estimated date for arrival. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sinton, TX, USA

Mar 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake light illuminated when the brake pedal was not depressed and failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. In addition, the contact stated that the ESC traction control and the cruise control independently disengaged. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle would hesitate when shifting gears. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign: 14V252000 (brakes, exterior lighting, electronic stability control) exceeded a reasonable amount for the recall repair. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had experienced the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the currently mileage was 90,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

May 032010

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights come on without pressing the brake pedal. When you push on the pedal the lights go out. While on the speed control will not work. Several other issues with the BCM. GM announced a recall on this vehicle on May 15, 2014 but the NHTSA website letter on that date letter nvs-215ks / 14V-252 stated that GM must notify the owners within 60 days. It has been 60 days and there has not been a notification. This issue has been in the shop under warranty approx. 5 times and I have had to also repair the same issue. Now the car is not drive able because if I place it in park it will not go in reverse. This is also due to the same BCM problem. If they (GM) has 60 days, why have they not recalled this vehicle? I took it to the GM dealer and gave them the recall number found on the internet and was told they have no information about it. How can I get this information but their own dealers can't.

- Eads, TN, USA

Jul 052014

Malibu

I was driving down the freeway between 70 & 75 mph. I heard brakes screeching behind me. I then realized that my cruz had also went off. I knew that my brake lights had come on for no reason again as they had in the past. I was sure cars were going to start rear ending each other because they thought I had slammed on my brakes. When this is occurring with my vehicle the brake lights are off when I'm stopped at a light or a stop sign and the brake lights come on when I take my foot off the brakes. The car will jerk like it is trying to stall. The RPM's will surge to 4000 while at the same time the car is slowing down. The cruz will not engage when the brake lights are on. These problems only occurs when the brake lights will not go off.

- Pierson, MI, USA

Jan 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake light turn on without braking, brake lights don work while braking, traction control becomes disabled, cruise will not activate, will not come out of park.

- Ransomeville, NY, USA

Jul 022014

Malibu

I had a lady follow me down a 55mph highway this morning, into my parking lot at work, to tell me that all of my brake lights were on as I was driving. Once I reached a speed of 15mph or faster, my brake lights would come on and go off when I would brake. She said she followed me to make sure I knew of the issue and that she almost rear-ended me, but was mindful that there was an issue with my brakes so followed a bit further behind. I also have recently noticed that my service traction and service ESC display warnings are on my dashboard, and my cruise control does not work. In researching this issue, there is an apparent recall on that affects my make/model year vehicle. I called the dealership and was advised (after providing my VIN) that my car was not covered under the recall. I am wondering how it is determined what VIN's are covered and which are not. I am clearly with a safety issue on my car and someone was kind enough to be watching out for me this morning.

- Holmen, WI, USA

Aug 262013

Malibu

While driving the vehicle, the service light came on for ESC/traction control and also my brake lights came on while my foot was on accelerator, I applied the brake and the brake light turned off, but when I accelerated again the brake light came back on after a few seconds. On different occasions while driving on the freeway the same thing happened and I was unable to engage the cruise control. When I turn off the car and restart it, the service light turns off but only momentarily. It eventually comes back on. Extremely irritating, inconvenient, and dangerous!

- Owatonna, MN, USA