Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

May 032013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights come on without pressing the pedal and when U press the pedal they go off for a second and come back on this has happened numerous times.

- Princeton, WV, USA

May 172013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights remain on while driving. Go off when braking. Have been stopped several times by folks passing by to tell me that the brake lights were on.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Mar 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

If cruise is engaged, sometimes it will just turn off. This is accompanied by constant brake lights even when the brakes are not pressed. Other times, the cruise will not engage and the brake lights will be illuminated constantly. Usually this occurs along with an error message regarding the est stability system on the car. Usually after turning the vehicle off everything works again.

- College Station, TX, USA

Sep 072010

Malibu 4-cyl

I bought this car in June 2010 and the first thing to happen was the battery exploded in 09/2010. A few months later a my car was broken into because I did not realize that when I lock my doors that all locks but 1. the next thing that happend was the front head light shorted out, not the actual head light but the socket that the light goes into and that happend around 03/2012. Around January 2013 I was stopped beside my daughter school and a man pulled over and told me that my brake lights had been on for a few miles. I did not realize this and could not see this unless I was driving at night. I rarely drive at night but when I was driving at night I noticed when you get to a certain speed the brake lights will come on and and then go off if you tap the brake and then come back on and stay on until whenever they decide to go off. Sometimes they will be on when you crank up the car. It concerns me because what if they brake light fail all together. It seems like there is some kind of eletrical malfuntion with this car. I have researched online and find many people have the same issue with lights coming on in the care at sporadic time times as well as the brake light issue. I called GM, they took the info but offered no assistance. I really believe a recall or some type of investigation should be done on this. I know people that have gotten behind the same car I drive and they see they brake lights continously on like my car. This is very dangerous.

- Clinton, NC, USA

Mar 092013

Malibu 4-cyl

This is a recurring problem, beginning nearly 2 years ago. I have had the vehicle in for repairs several times, but the last documentable incident is March 9, 2013. ESC service light comes on, cruise control shuts down, brakes lights illuminating when they should not, and not illuminating when they should. There's always been some "thing" they find wrong, from re-calibration of the ESC system to this last incident, where they told me it was the brake light switch! I had just had the vehicle in to have a headlight replaced the prior weekend and I never noticed the brake lights not working, and the dealer that replaced the headlight never mentioned it either. I'm thinking they would have if they could charge me to fix something additional on the car. I just paid $250 to replace what I was told was a burned out brake light switch on March 9th, (palmen motors, kenosha, wi), and its already recurring. I heard part of possible recall on wnn abc news and started researching and ended up at your site this morning. I want to report this. There's no telling how many dollars have been paid to mechanics to fix unnecessary repairs because of this! I am furious! I am hoping that if this is a recall, or made one, I can at least get some of my money back! thank you,

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Oct 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

I had a problem with the brake light function. When driving, the brake lights would be on. When pressing the brake, the lights would turn off. I had to pay to have a switch replaced by the dealership to fix this issue.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Dec 162011

Malibu 4-cyl

Backing out of my drive way the left front brake caliper locked up and would not release the rotor. Under warranty the dealer replaced the rotor, caliper, flexible hose and pads. The car would move forward but felt like the brakes were applied. After a short distance the rotor heated up and was smoking. This same thing occurred again on 9/24/2012. Mileage at that time was 37900. Dealer currently has the car and is trying to duplicate the problem.

- Auburn , AL, USA

Jul 292012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake lights remained illuminated whenever the vehicle was driven and stopped illuminating when the brakes were applied. The contact also stated that after having the brakes, rotors, and calibers replaced at the dealer, the failure occurred. The vehicle was repaired because the dealer stated that moisture was penetrating the brake system. The contact spoke with the dealer and was informed that the failure was not covered under the extended warranty. The vehicle had not been inspected. The failure and current mileages were 41,000.

- Shirleysburg, PA, USA

Nov 182011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the traction control and electronic stability control lights began to illuminate intermittently. The cruise control feature then failed. The brake indicator also failed, as it indicated that the vehicle was braking when it was not. The indicator also displayed a message that the vehicle was not braking when the brakes were applied. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 37,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA