Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

May 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While reversing from parking, the power steering warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed the power steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,430.

- Blythe, CA, USA

May 042015

Malibu

Power steering warning light activated then lost of steering while in process of turning right from a stop. Had service repair done and torque sensor was replaced.

- Somersworth, NH, USA

Apr 232015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. When the contact turned the ignition switch, the steering wheel seized and the brake pedal failed to respond when it was depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 149,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 232015

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle an audible alarm sounded and a message appeared in the driver information console indicating a loss of power steering. The steering was barely functional and could have resulted in a crash if my spouse or children had been driving the vehicle. This condition occurred off and on for about a week before I could have it serviced at the local dealership. Upon a search of the internet for recalls, I noticed that my make, model, and certain vehicles manufactured the same year were part of a recall for the exact same problem that I had repaired - a faulty torque sensor in the power steering unit. My dealership informed me that my vehicle was not included in the safety recall. A call to the Chevrolet customer assistance center on 4-17-2015 was unsatisfactory. Chevrolet declined to reimburse me for repairs to my vehicle for the same issue that other Malibu, produced in the same year, were covered by a recall. I request the nhtsb extend the recall on the power steering failure to all 2009 Chevrolet Malibu vehicles. I have read in online forums that many other owners are facing the same issue, and many are not having repairs made due to cost. This is indeed creating an unsafe condition to the owners and the motoring public.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Feb 062013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle made an abnormal noise. The steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Bigrock, IL, USA

Mar 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While the vehicle was in park, the steering wheel moved independently in both directions. In addition, while driving at 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. A "power steering" message was displayed across the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,640.

- South Easton , MA, USA

Apr 012015

Malibu 4-cyl

Started car up and message center flashes power steering, service ESC. I get codes U2143, C0561 on scanner. Total loss of steering assist. This car is not part of recall on steering problem but it should be!

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Mar 262015

Malibu 4-cyl

I went to start my car and the service ESC light flashed along with the power steering light. I turned the ignition off and back on again. This seemed to solve the problem temporarily. As a few days went by, the problem was more frequent. Currently, the vehicle will start with the error lights flashing more times than it will not. The vehicle can be driven. However, it is very difficuly to turn, especially at slow speeds.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel seized and the service power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Clinton, IA, USA

Mar 252015

Malibu

In past few weeks my veh. Power steering failed, and showed a code of problems with the electronic power steering system. Having taken it to Chevrolet to be repaired I found that many other vehs have been recalled for "electronic power steering problems". my year veh. Apparently has not been included in the current recall order. Having been advised by Chevrolet that this issue is a steering wheel position sensor, I believe that this proves that Chevrolet has not corrected the steering issues in their vehicles. I believe NHTSA should continue to carefully review Chevrolet manufacturing operations of this steering system, and force them to expand the recall to rectify whatever issues are found, before this occurs to someone else and a serious injury or death occurs.

- Sayville, NY, USA

Mar 292015

Malibu

On Sunday, March 29th, a "power steering" and a "service escape" message appeared on the dashboard. So, I trying to turn the car but, it was very very hard to do so. This was so scary. I took my car to the Chevrolet dealership. I was told that I would have to pay $110 diagnostic charge and for the repair. I was very upset because I found out that there was a recall on this same type of problem with other models on Chevy Malibu. There's nothing that I could have done to have this problem. I called GM headquarter and I was informed that I would have to pay for the repair. I don't believe that this decision is fair. I was told that my car was not a part of the recall but, how could the same problem happen. I'm very disappointed in the dealership and GM headquarter.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu

2009 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering problems. The consumer stated it was difficult to turn the steering wheel. He was informed the vehicle needed a new steering column.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 252015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 15 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving just a few blocks from my house when I stopped at a red light. The light turned green so I went to go. My car then flashed a service ESC warning, then it flashed ESC off & then flashed engine power reduced. My check engine light also came on and has stayed on. My car wouldn't even go over 10mph, and was shaking so bad I thought I was going to lose control of the vehicle. Thank god I didn't make it out of town. I just recently had my car at the Chevrolet auto shop to have my transmission completely rebuilt and for the brake light malfunction recall. Then my car ended up back in the shop apparently for a bad Cadillac converter, which I think really was this problem all along. I have only had this car for a year, and I am beyond disgusted with all the problems. I don't think I will be purchasing another vehicle from Chevrolet, as they just aren't good cars apparently. Side note: I take really good care of my vehicle and do all the normal service maint. On time etc so there is no excuse for this. It's just a bad car! I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000....updated 05-26-15 updated 7/6/2015

- Otter Lake , MI, USA

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving into a parking lot my power steering suddenly quit working and the service ESC and power steering lights started flashing. I looked up my VIN to see if it qualified for a recall but it didn't fit under recall #14V153000 even though my car was built the same year and same model and is experiencing the same issues as described in this recall. This recall needs to be expanded to include more vehicle experiencing the same problem.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 4-cyl

When pulling out of my driveway, the power steering just quit, its electric power steering, message center indicates "power steering", "service ESC", then "ESC off" and my traction control light comes on. Occasionally when I first start the car the power steering will work for a minute or two then goes out again. I searched for recalls but there are no open recalls at this time. According to a Chevrolet Malibu website there is a known problem with loss of power steering with some 2009 Malibu. Apparently my build date missed the recall by a month. Therefore this does not seem to be a "wear problem".

- New Waterford, OH, USA

Mar 142015

Malibu

Power steering shut off while driving. Almost lost control on the highway. Saw that their were recall for other GM vehicles suffering from same problem. I was told that my vehicle was not on recall.

- Corona, NY, USA

Nov 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering and the ESC warning lights illuminated. The steering wheel became difficult to turn. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 112015

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving down the highway around 60 mph when the power steering on my '09 Malibu froze. An ESC notification came on and then one for power steering. Managed to get my car off to the side of the road where I turned my car off and then on again to reset. This happened 6 more times on my 10 mile commute home. This had happen a few times before but very intermittently. After researching this issue on-line I learned that GM is aware of this problem and issued a recall notice last year but does not include my VIN (confirmed with dealer). Because my VIN is not covered this will be an out of pocket expense for me though as others have said, is the same problem. The dealer said that the issue with my car may not be the same as the ones in the recall notice but will not know until I bring it in. There may be a possibility that my VIN will be included in a subsequent recall notice and if it is I can be reimbursed for the expense.

- Cleveland, OH, USA