Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Feb 012017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the electric power steering off and service off warning indicators illuminated and the steering wheel suddenly seized. George matick Chevrolet (14001 telegraph rd, redford charter twp, mi 48239, (313) 531-7100) replaced the internal dome light more than ten times due to an internal electrical short, but the failure persisted. The dealer made no mention of campaign number: 15356 special coverage adjustment (loss of electric power steering assist). The contact did not know if the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Nov 012018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and the eps warning indicator randomly illuminated. Banner Chevrolet (5950 chef menteur hwy, new orleans, la 70126, (504) 302-8900) was contacted and stated that diagnostic testing was needed. The vehicle was excluded from manufacturer coverage campaign number: 15356 (special coverage adjustment ¿ loss of electric power steering assist) based on the mileage. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Gonzales, LA, USA

Mar 062019

Malibu

Power steering randomly stops work. I was driving down a busy highway and it completely stoped working! I have to stop the car shut it off and back on for the power steering to start working again. Also, when I start the car the wheel starts to shake (when in park) and also shakes going down the highway. Happens at least 3-4 times a week.

- Grundy Center, IA, USA

Mar 062019

Malibu

Steering wheel randomly loses power and will not move or is very difficult to move. It happens at start up or while in motion. Definitely a safety hazard. The steering wheel also shakes or twitches at slow speeds or at a stop.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Feb 252019

Malibu

Power steering goes out. Warning message on dash reads "power steering - service ESC" this happens when I am driving and goes out without warning. Today it went out while I was driving on the highway at 65 mph rounding a long sweeping curve. Dangerous! I see that there is a recall on this problem - GM recall # N140115, but it doesn't cover the month that my Malibu was built, which is 12/08. It covers other Malibu's and other vehicles. My car has the exact same problem as theirs. GM definitely needs to expand this recall to include all cars that have been built at this time.

- Washington, MO, USA

Mar 012019

Malibu

The electrical power steering and ESC control are turned off as soon as I start the cars ignition. When the car is parked, the power steering begins to twitch the wheel and does not stop. When you turn the car off then back on, it resolves the problem for several seconds then continues to do the same thing. This problem creates a very dangerous car when combined when traveling down the road. The power steering has also done this whole driving. This is a huge issue in manufacturing and poses a life threat to my 100lb fiancÉE and our newborn baby.

- Kendallville, IN, USA

Mar 052019

Malibu

ESC system is not working properly. Power steering warning comes on at random times and it becomes very difficult to steer. Once I get pulled over and shut the car off and back on it returns to normal. I was driving down the highway when it started. It happened a couple times last year and then again yesterday.

- Keavy, KY, USA

Mar 022019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle had to be restarted in order to operate normally, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the power steering needed to be replaced. Richard kay superstore (1935 pearman dairy rd, anderson, SC 29625, (864) 332-4031) informed the contact that there was no recalls for the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 217,156.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Mar 042019

Malibu

Takata recall, as I was dropping my daughter off at the bus stop I tried to pull back up to my house and the power steering came on and the wheel was hard to turn while my vehicle was in motion and there was alot of cars coming my way as I was trying to turn. I told my husband about it he went to check that it had power steering fluid in it and it was not low at all then he got in it to drive and it worked just fine. That was a scary experience for me. Another incident when I went to go get my car inspected the third brake light would not come on but when I went to my mother in laws it worked just fine and when I left to go home lastnight it was coming on when I wasn't even pushing the brakes so me and my husband figured it was a shortage in it or the wires need replaced. Someone needs to do something about this before there be an accident. I was doing some research about my vehicle and I seen that it had serveral recalls. The manufacturer recall #: N130036 the NHTSA recall #: 14V252

- Palestine, TX, USA

Feb 252019

Malibu

Service powering steering light came on and steering went out immediately went out no warning was not able to steer car. Got the car home turned off let sit turn back on had steering but steering wheel shook back and forth moving and at idol.took to dealership and was told recall expired 10/18 but was never informed that there was one ended up having to pay 1200.00

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Feb 262019

Malibu

Power steering works randomly but mostly not at all. Power steering, service traction control light. ABS light and ESC flash on dash display all in one week. Driving to work made a left hand turn and power steering went out causing me to drive off the road. Power steering came back on and then out again. And has been off since

- Alliance, OH, USA

Feb 282019

Malibu

Intermittently upon starting the stationary vehicle the 'service ESC¿ light comes on followed by ¿power steering¿ light. The power steering won¿T work. Turning the ignition off and restarting the vehicle 1-3 times usually corrects the problem. Also, while driving this same problem occurs where the power steering goes out, without warning. Extremely dangerous when going around bends or turning. Lastly, when moving (usually backing up, but also while driving) the steering wheel turns back and forth by itself as if the power steering is engaging but no turning is required. I¿ve lost control on slick roads and in parking lots because of all of these problems. I also noticed that there's a recall for the 2012 Malibu for something similar to what my problem is, but not for the 2009 model. However, when looking up the 2012 recall it says 2004-2012 Malibu were under recall, yet my VIN for 2009 Malibu shows no recalls. Very odd. If not fixed for free, I¿ll be looking into class action.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 102018

Malibu

Powersteering starting periodically going out and ESC notification would appear. Eventually it completely quit. Called Chevrolet and was told my car is not part of the recall for that issue.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Feb 182019

Malibu

Anytime I¿M driving my car wether it be on the highway or through town, the steering power gives out. It happens every 5-7 minutes I would say. I have to turn the car off and turn it back on just so I can readjust it and get the steering wheel moving again. This just started happening about a week ago.

- Menasha City, WI, USA

Feb 182019

Malibu

My ESC light to service came on, which also triggered the power steering to go off. This happened a week ago when I was driving. When I called GM, I was told there was no recall, that was a special coverage and it expired in October if 2018. Well it's never been a problem before and now I have a vehicle that has issues the manufacture know about, and they know it was a defect but I am now expected to pay for a $1300 repair myself.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 102019

Malibu

Power steering goes out going down the highway it also goes out after starting the car. N touching the wheel. They. ESC an powersteering light come

- Ottumwa, IA, USA

Feb 152019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that there was an electric power steering (eps) failure and the eps warning indicator randomly illuminated. The contact was not able to determine when the steering wheel would seize. The contact stated that it was difficult to maneuver the steering wheel in either direction. The vehicle was excluded from NHTSA campaign numbers: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to pietroske Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac (4000 grand ave, manitowoc, wi 54220, (920) 684-0224). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Jan 062019

Malibu

This car first belonged to my mother and I borrowed it once to go out of town to pittsburgh which introduced me for the first time to the problem with the power steering because of what I thought the cause was extreme cold. Now I have transferred over the title and the car is supposed to be my daily reliable source of transportation but the power steering stops working and gives a service warning regardless of outside temperature and happens 3-4 times in a 20 minute drive at its worse. At first the solution was to just turn the car on and off but that isn't possible when you're on an interstate so it has now become a safety issue. I saw there was a recall but I do not believe my VIN # was apart of the recall but it is a serious issue that puts my life in danger in unpredictable and sporadic moments of my daily drives and I would greatly appreciate any help in finding a solution.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 012019

Malibu

The car has the 2.4 4 cylinder with the unreliable electric power steering unit that shuts off almost everytime the car is driven.it shuts off and the car must be turned off then restarted before steering is restored.it goes off under all driving situations sitting, in motion, turning, going forward or backing up.on city streets or major highways..it happens at all speeds and all weather conditions...

- Brackenridge, PA, USA

Feb 052019

Malibu

Takata recall ! I currently own a 2009 Chevy Malibu ecotec and when starting the car one morning my electric stability control came on also saying no power stearing there has been a recall on the other models but not my ecotec 4 cylinder..

- Steubenville, OH, USA