Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

Jan 022019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph, the power steering indicator illuminated and the power steering seized. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 155,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 212018

Malibu

A week ago when starting my car and trying to leave the steer wheel locked up and it displayed ┐power steering┐ on the dash and was dinging at me. I put it in park, shut it off, and turned it back on and it was gone. Thinking it was just a fluke deal, I didn┐T bother to check into it. Yesterday while driving on the freeway, the same thing happened. I was able to get off the freeway and put it in park at a stop light and shut it of. Upon turning it back on the message had gone away and all was normal. About a mile later that same thing happened. It was like that for about two hours while trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I called a Chevy dealership after seeing online that there were recalls on this issue and they verified that it was correct and if my car was experiencing that recall it would be fixed. I took it in first thing this morning and they informed me that the recall doesn┐T apply towards my car and that it was just an extended warranty. I┐M confused how this can be a recall on only certain cars and not all. It's not safe for myself or other people on the road for my car to being doing this. I don┐T feel comfortable driving knowing that at any moment my power steering could quit working on me.

- Kuna, ID, USA

Dec 102018

Malibu

Power steering keeps going out makes it hard to drive straight and make tight turns and my low beams on my headlights keeps going out too. But there is no recall on my car at and it is really dangerous to drive with my family in it.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Dec 082018

Malibu

Power steering failed while driving. Power steering and service ESC warnings flashed on dashboard. Vehicle very difficult to steer.

- Bernhards Bay, NY, USA

Dec 102018

Malibu

The power steering shut off mid turn and the service ESC light came on. The issue went away after turning vehicle off and back on.

- House Springs, MO, USA

Dec 052018

Malibu

After driving the car one mile from home steering became difficult and a message appeared in the dic power steering. I pulled the steering wheel with two hands to get to the side of the road, turned the car off and when turned on the message was gone but the steering was still awkward and not as smooth as it should

- Bronx, NY, USA

Nov 302018

Malibu

When diving I lose power steering. This has happened to me 4 times now I have had the car since April of 2018. An everything checked out in good health.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Nov 182018

Malibu

I was driving out of town on the highway and my traction light came on then my steering ESC light started flashing. The power steering went out and my car was difficult to steer off the road.

- Oswego, KS, USA

Malibu

My cars light will run across ecs and then power steering. The power steering will go out completely. This happened to me while pull in in a driveway and at a stoplight. So when going slower speeds.

- Blair, WI, USA

Malibu

The power steering failed and power steering came up on message board while backing out of driveway on 11-11-18.afraid to drive vehicle drove vehicle around block without power steering just as I was pulling into driveway the steering came back.what happened.worried in Oregon.

- Aloha, OR, USA

Oct 042018

Malibu

Well driving my car got hard to steer, the power steering light come on then I turned the car off, and restarted it then it began to drive back normal then it began to do the same thing again and every time I turned it off and started it back up it would return to normal but in order for the steering to return to normal I have to cut my car off and then turn it back on. It seems to happen as I am driving straight or sitting still

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Malibu

Ecs deactivates and stais iluminated. Issue makes steeting hard to manubrate. Fuel issue. Fuel spilled around gas pump cap.

- Greenfield, CA, USA

Oct 012018

Malibu

The car steering will randomly pull back and forth making it difficult to drive or maintain control. This happens both stationary and while in motion on every trip I make. The power steering also has cut out completely on one occasion while in motion making it extremely difficult to steer at low speeds and nearly causing an accident.

- Kailua, HI, USA

May 052018

Malibu

Power steering when out while trying to make a turn without any warning. Turning became extremely hard and this would happen randomly at 1st. Within the next couple of weeks it would happen over and over again. I took it to the mechanic and my mechanic said that it was the steering wheel torque sensor. I feel this is an extremely extremely dangerous and matter that should be taken care of. If I didn't have 2 hands on the wheel while I was turning 1st time it happened, it could easly pulled the other way in crashed into a car. Thank god my elderly mother in law wasn't driving because she wouldn't of been able to turn the wheels with out the power steering. NHTSA says it does have a recall on this issue with the 09 Chevy Malibu but it doesn't appear with my VIN.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving and making a right turn, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact powered off the engine while in traffic. The vehicle was restarted and was able to drive normally. Three minutes later, the failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel failed and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer. The vehicle was taken to pohanka Chevrolet (13915 lee jackson memorial hwy, chantilly, va 20151, (703) 968-6677) where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to the repair fees. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 178,000.

- Centerville, VA, USA

Oct 092016

Malibu

Contacted local dealership for recall. They informed me it was lready done, but problem still persists. I purchased vehicle from my mother and she said she never had the work done.. power steering keeps going in and out and is a major safety issue

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Oct 232018

Malibu

Car began to make a random clunk when turning. Took the vehicle to the dealer as soon as they were open. Alignment began to pull. Front end started to hum. Dealer service manager said wheel bearings failing in front end. Strut assemblies in front need replacement, knuckles that hold the strut assemblies to the frame were original, made out of aluminum, and are now rotted out and require replacement. Intermediate steering column failing. The vehicle hasn't reached 90K miles yet. The cost of repairing the vehicle is nearing half of its retail value. Allegedly no open recalls, despite a recall by dorman for the intermediate steering shaft. Aluminum knuckles to hold struts to the frame" and that's not a design flaw" the replacement knuckle parts are $1200 not including labor. Wheel bearings are about $762, the intermediate steering shaft is $290. Strut assemblies are about $600 for both.

- Warsaw, NY, USA

Oct 232018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving unknown speeds, the steering wheel failed to turn and the traction control indicator illuminated. The contact attempted to add power steering fluid, but was unsuccessful. In addition, the power assist warning message was displayed. The local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and provided case number: 8-4762040825, but no additional assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 187,000.

- La Salle, IL, USA

Oct 012018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. When the contact started the vehicle, "power steering" and "ESC off" was displayed and the power steering assist malfunctioned. The steering wheel became very difficult to turn in either direction. The failures were not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified, but the local dealer was not notified. The failure mileage was 153,000.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

May 232017

Malibu

Was driving the car to work, stopped at mc donald's to get breakfast in the drive through. Left mc donald's was curving onto the on ramp to 291 hwy when I lost power steering almost causing me to go off the side of the road. A warning message was displayed. I then got the car pulled over and turned off the vehicle. When I turned the vehicle on everything was ok. It has done this on multiple occasions.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA