8.0

$30

Most common solutions:

1. replace light (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

Aug 212018

Malibu LX 2.3L

I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu. Since purchasing the car I have had 5 "low beam" headlights burn out with no resolution. This is a HUGE safety issue and the dealership that I use seems more interested in replacing and wanting to charge me for the service (approx $160-180) because the whole front end of the car needs to be removed to change a headlamp (how ridiculous!). This is a HUGE safety issue and a real pain in the ass due to this being a labor intensive issue. I'm hoping GM can step in and find the resolution. I drive this car approx 70 miles per day a lot of travel is very early in the morning (dark!!). I have read multiple complaints on other websites but there seems to be no recall and resolution. HELP!

- dmiller06472, Northford, US

Mar 222018

Malibu

I have owned this 2012 Chevy Malibu since March 2016 (bought used at 60,000 miles). I have had to change one or both headlights about every other oil change (every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first) since I got the car. This is ESPECIALLY A PAIN IN THE A** because you have to take the whole front bumper off to replace it (at least for one of them), so it's built into the cost of an oil change ($140 vs $30). After looking at various blogs, I see this is a rampant problem with 2012 Malibus. Chevrolet needs to issue recall ASAP and get this done!

It is the low beam headlight(s) being the issue; switching to brights works but is annoying/dangerous to oncoming traffic! This needs to be addressed by Chevrolet!!

--Debbie A.

- Debbie A., Phoenix, AZ, US

Nov 012016

Malibu LX

Had to replace the headlights 3 times in 1 years time. It's a pain in the ass since you have to almost completely take off the entire front end (bumper) of the car. I'm tired of having the low-beams go out after 3 months - This is costly and dangerous. Just replacing the headlights doesn't seem to fix this terrible issue. The engineer that designed this was hopefully fired. I mean, why should it take 45 minutes to just get to the headlight assembly??

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

- stockie311, Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 072016

Malibu

Changing a burnt out headlight should be a owner DYI. Not with this car! The fender has to be removed to access the insertion point. I have NEVER owned a care where I had to go to a mechanic to change a friggin' headlight. Imagine having to go to a dealer to change your tire! Basic care maintenance and repair should be able to be handled by the owner. I shouldn't have to PAY someone to change a damn headlight! What type of crap engineering is this?

- Kaye P., Weidman, MI, USA