Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Malibu:

Feb 202019

Malibu

Driving along and my 2016 with 39,000 miles loses acceleration power and receive warning ┐engine power is reduced┐. I limp it to the Chevy dealership and they get it in and I get a call later with them telling me they have seen this in two other cars and they are waiting on the accelerator throttle pedal sensor that needs replaced. They reset and cleaned the sensor and sent me on my way. It's happened three other times since then and I limp it back to shop every time to get reset. I should not be having this issue with it barely out of warranty. It says a lot of one shop to have three Malibu's waiting for this part to become available. I love the Malibu's but with the issues with this car I┐ve had it's hard to keep my faith in Chevrolet. They know this model is having issues yet has not recalled my vehicle yet and I┐M out of pocket. I┐M a single mom that needs a reliable car.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Jan 192019

Malibu

Shift to park issue. Vehicle is clearly in park but message on message board informs me "vehicle is not in park." Have to wiggle/mess with shifter in order to get the message to disappear. Otherwise vehicle will not turn off. Dealership informed me the shifter assembly needed to be replaced... common problem and needs to be fixed by Chevy.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 102018

Malibu

My Malibu does not allow me to turn it off when I put it into park. I get the message "shift to park".

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 022017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu. While operating the vehicle, the stabilitrak indicator illuminated. Also, after turning the ignition off, the engine continued to operate for approximately 30 seconds. Upon restarting the vehicle, it drove very roughly and would not accelerate properly. The vehicle was taken to red lion Chevrolet (3220 cape horn rd, red lion, pa) where it was diagnosed that the engine was faulty and needed to be replaced. The engine was replaced. Approximately three months later, after switching to the park position, "shift to park" appeared on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the same dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifter assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but "power reduced" later displayed and the speed suddenly reduced to 10 mph. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- York, PA, USA

Jan 112018

Malibu

When I stop at light waiting for the street light to change a message pops up the dashboard says steering wheel adjustment drive with caution and shuts my car down and sometimes it flashes stabletrack.but this message been popping up the dashboard for weeks and shuts the car off and starts up again but today it shuts it off and did not start up back

- Wolcott, CT, USA

Jan 042018

Malibu

On 1/4/2018 I was driving on I-95 and the car brakes sudenly stop working completly

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Mar 282017

Malibu

Takata recall: I purchase a new vehicle in 2016. I start having issues 6months after purchasing. The first one that was never resolved: Check engine, engine power reduced. I have taken my car to Chevy webb in lansin, il. This car has stop on me on the expressway and on the street. When reduce speed come I have to pull over and hoping I am not on the express again. Now, Chevy stop assisting me with these issues because warranty is over but, this issues were never resolved. Now I find out that 2016 Malibu had a recall on them May 2016 regarding the same issues that I am experiencing now. I purchased Oct 21, 2016. My car has been service over 25 and still having the issues. Please see attahed service report. Please help

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 262018

Malibu

I was traveling on a highway, going around 70 mph, as I was about to merge onto another freeway, my check engine light came on, and a notification came on that said reduced engine power. My car then dropped speed to about 40 mph. I was unable to accelerate the rest of my route to work. I topped at 20 mph. I checked my code reader and P2138 came up.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Dec 152018

Malibu

My Chevrolet 2016 Malibu, while driving on the highway, out of no where my car decreased in speed and my engine light came on. The screen said ┐engine power reduced┐. I was unable to drive over 30 mph. I pulled over, turned the vehicle on and off where I still was unable to accelerate. I immediately took it to the local Chevrolet dealership where they told me it was a ┐gas pedal sensor that went out┐ and that this part is going out in all Malibu's.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 302018

Malibu

For the past couple of weeks when my auto stop is engage the car turns completely off and stalls while stopped at a light I don┐T know what to do about this situation I think it's a car defect in multiple people have been stating they have been having the same issue with their same style of vehicle with the same issue

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Oct 132018

Malibu

When going to start the vehicle with foot on the brake pedal and push start button it makes a click sound and shows a check engine light as well as stability control message appears in the dash. It's not an issue of a dead battery or faulty starter. It happens once or twice a day. When I come back about a hr later I again apply the brake pedal and push the start button and after a few tries of it reading the same check engine stability control message it starts up. Along with this happening when I'm driving and come to a stop at a stop sign or traffic light, the auto stop engages as it should only the vehicle completely dies. But when I let off the brake it doesnt start back up as normal. Only to have to put it in park and apply the brake and hope it starts back up. After reading into this on various forums this seems to be a common recurring issue. Only no answers as to why or what causes this problem.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Aug 162018

Malibu

I took the car to the mechanic because of check engine light car wasn┐T acting weird or anything. They recommended replacing multifunction power supply converter, it has internal issues I approved they told me everything is fine everything cleared. The next day the vehicle started to go crazy I stated that engine light is on again car lounges forward and that the doors lock and unlock all while driving and car then just stops I had to restart it. They recommended replacing battery I approved.the same day I picked up my car check engine light showed but the next day car started to be it self again so I kept it didn┐T take it in.a week later the same symptoms car jolts forward, it locks and unlocks when driving and car turns off completely this time they recommended replacing negative battery cable I approved. 30 minutes after leaving the mechanics, car has the same exact previous symptoms but now car went beyond crazy, car was on drive but won┐T accelerate, break, and steering wheel locked, dash said (service stabilitrak) (ice possible) it hot outside. It happens when I get off freeways, when I┐M driving on regular streets: Doors locks and unlocks dash always say check rear door locks the, car lunges forward and then car just stops and won┐T go I have to turn it off then on again. Just imagine if car completely stop in a freeway, I┐M lucky that it gives me a warning when I hear the locks go crazy I pull over I then able to drive it slowly home and all the way home car jolts towards locks are going crazy and car stops frequently in the middle of the streets. Then I┐M able to take it to the mechanics like nothing ever happens to it. Goes back to normal with no check engine light like nothing ever happened.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 012018

Malibu

When I put my car in park, on the dash board it say put car in park to turn off. When my car is in park. Also when I go to start my car it take a while for it to start. It will say serivce stablility. My air bag lights came on. I also have seen that alot of customers that has the same car is having the same problem

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 012018

Malibu

Around 50,000 miles sensor on throttle pedal went out and caused my car to stop accelerating with my kid in the car in the middle of the road driving. Next at 74,000 my 2016 Chevy Malibu lt 1.5L turbo has a cracked piston. I believe recall 17019 stochastic pre egnition should be linked to my VIN. First service stabilitrak comes on with a glowing icon showing a car with wavy lines underneath it. Then code reading P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) went through the checklist, spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors all fine. Checked the compression of cylinder one and it's gone. Cylinder one has no compression it doesn┐T work. I saw this is happening to many people with the 1.5L turbo GM tried perfecting and still doesn┐T know how to fix besides replacing the piston or motor. Both times I was driving my car. Once I noticed the stabilitrak and check engine light I went home and left the car in the garage in hopes there wasn┐T damage. I researched and found out GM knew this whole time and no one told me. Their trying to say my car isn┐T on that recall but I strongly believe that my car is exactly that 17019 stochastic pre egnition recall.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jan 212018

Malibu

The car stalls in traffic, losing all power. It doesn't start sometimes. Everytime I take it into the dealer the issue doesn't occur and they claim the computer is coming back clean. However, it dodent fo this all the time it can go weeks and drive just fine but at any given time will lose all power and shut off in the middle of traffic and done days take a very long time to start. It's very scary when your in traffic in the car shuts off then all the warning lights come on from stabilizer bar warning, to engine light. It's dangerous and scary with my child in the car at times on san diego highways. A car should not just shut off or take forever to start when everytime I take it to the dealer they claim the readings are fine. I also see I'm not the only one having this problem with this year and model. GM Chevrolet want be satisfied until someone is seriously hurt with this issue losing power while driving.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 212018

Malibu

Takata recall - I have been having problems locking, unlocking, and turning on my car. When the car finally gets turned on it will say that the keys are not detected. Or when I put it in drive it will tell me to turn the car off and then turn it back on. Takata recall - about once a month when I turn my car on, a loud buzzing noise comes on for around 30 seconds.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 052018

Malibu

I have taken my 2016 Malibu premier 2.0 turbo to the dealership four times now for the same problem with the park assist sensors going out. Now, they are out again, and the dealership wants me to pay a $250 deductible for my extended warranty to cover the repairs. I am not agreeing with this because this is the fourth time I have had my car in the dealership for repair of this same component. Now the service advisor has contacted me saying the entire module has to be replaced due to a short in the system itself. I purchased the car Sept. 21, 2016, it should not be having this problem over and over again so soon, now I have to pay a deductible for the same work to the done that should have been fixed properly the first time I brought the car in for this repair, instead of a simple system update. These park assist sensor alerts when someone is walking in front or behind the vehicle, as well as another vehicle being in a 'blind spot". the alert is especially helpful at night, when in an area with pedestrians and small children, and backing out of parking spots.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 042018

Malibu

In February 2016 I had the vehicle towed to the dealership of purchase the night before I was driving on a public street I came to a stop at a red light when the light turned green I released my foot from the brake peddle as the car began to move forward the lights on the dashboard began fluttering the car then cuts off a message on the dashboard read insta link steering assist reduced drive carefully also the engine warning light was on after getting the car to dealership and the alleged problem being fixed two weeks later the same problem took car back dealership stated their is nothing wrong they cleared the codes the stop engine light went off about 3 weeks later same problem again they stated again nothings wrong now here I am again for the fifth time same problem now that my warranty is done they wanted to charge me 700 to 1000 dollars to fix the problem I immediately called GM they have allegedly resolved the problem I haven┐T got the car back yet they say maybe tomorrow

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 112017

Malibu

Takata recall: I've been having an issue with my 2016 Malibu it will stop and take a few minutes to start up. While driving it will go in safety driving mode and I can't go on faster than 20 miles. I haven't had my car for a year before it start giving me problems. I didn't make it on time before my warranty expire. Right at this time I can't afford to pay to get it fix 380... after calling the dealership and spoke with the manager he stated that my car is the 3rd complaint about the same issue. I have 4 sons and I really don't like when it shut down on us while I'm driving. This issue happen atleast 3 times a week...

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Feb 222018

Malibu

This car totally cut off on me (stalled, all power everything shut off) more than once within an hour while driving, at least 30mph on a major street. Took it to the dealership because it is still under warranty and they are telling me there is nothing they can do because they can't duplicate the issue.

- Little Elm, TX, USA