Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Malibu:

Apr 152019

Malibu

Takata recall, check engine light comes on and a reduce power indicator said reduce engine power, the car goes from 70mph to 40 mph on the interstate putting you and your family in grave danger

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Mar 012018

Malibu

When starting to progress from a stop, the Malibu will not accelerate for several seconds, and then when it does go it, surges forward. It occurs intermittently, but increases over time. This all occurs with no check engine light. We have taken it to the dealer several times were they have kept it for a combined total of well over a month, but claim that without a check engine light, there is nothing that they can do. It appears to happen predominately during the spring/summer months, and is less frequent during the much colder fall/winter months. We are being told that there is nothing that can be done from the manufacturer and the dealer. My wife is refusing to drive the car for fear that her or our children will be involved in an accident if the car will not proceed once in a busy intersection.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Apr 062019

Malibu

Vehicle stalled on highway while driving at speed on two different occasions despite servicing after the first incident. Both times, pop up alert says "shift to park" and then "engine has reduced power" after which the gas pedal no longer works. After pulling to the side of the road, there was a low battery alert.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Apr 022019

Malibu

When I stopped at 3 red lights on my way to work this morning my car shut completely off with the auto off setting but it didn┐T shut off until I let go off the break and when I let go and it shut off my car started going backwards and then it powered back on.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Dec 172018

Malibu

Power failure when driving and engine light comes on and car loses power and won┐T pull.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 282019

Malibu

Reduced engine power while traveling at 65 mph on the freeway. Speed dropped to 40 mph. I was just able to put on my hazards and pull over with several cars behind me slamming on their brakes.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Mar 222019

Malibu

When car is put in park and turned off a notification of 'shift park┐ displays while dinging in car. Car is stationary during this time. Also when driving sometimes my car slows down and a notification of engine power down while dinging sound goes off. Car will then eventually power down and come to a stop. Car has done this on the highway and while driving around the city. Both has happened on several on several occasions. The shift to park incident happens daily and the engine power down situation happens occassionaly last time it happened was 3/22/2019

- Ridgeland, MS, USA

Feb 252019

Malibu

Twice I have had the accelerated pedal replace, which cause the engine to lose power. I have take this in over 13 time for the engine light to come. I was driving on 495 at the speed of 60 mph in 2nd time almost was hit from behind.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 102019

Malibu

I was driving vehicle and "check engine" light came on and message said engine power reduced. The car rapidly slowed down and would not speed up even though I pressed down hard on the gas pedal. I pulled over and parked, shut down and restarted the engine. It worked fine. As I drove to go back home, the car could barely go the speed limit. I parked the car for more than 24 hrs. When I started the car, the engine light had gone out so I drove off. While driving the engine light came back on and the car's speed suddenly dropped down to a very slow pace. The speed limit was 40 mph. I pushed the gas pedal to the floor but the car would only go about 10-20 mph. Speed control was a definite problem. The dealership was not far so I drove it there. I explained the problem and the service attendant told me what the problem was before he checked the vehicle. Ironically, there was another customer there with the same problem. We both had the same year and make and model with approximately the same amount of mileage. The service attendant addressed both of us together since we both had the same issue. We needed a app pedal sensor. They didn't have the part. It was on back order. This tells me this is a common problem with this car. Had I been on the highway and this happened, I or someone else could have been killed. This is a serious safety hazard and Chevrolet needs to recall and fix it quickly. While checking the web for information about this issue, I noticed there are numerous online complaints regarding this problem from other consumers.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

May 012018

Malibu 4-cyl

Letter from constituent regarding issues with his 2016 Chevrolet Malibu LX and feeling like he is being penalized for the last 10 months on the Malibu and is seeking help to resolve the problem.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Feb 202019

Malibu

Driving along and my 2016 with 39,000 miles loses acceleration power and receive warning ┐engine power is reduced┐. I limp it to the Chevy dealership and they get it in and I get a call later with them telling me they have seen this in two other cars and they are waiting on the accelerator throttle pedal sensor that needs replaced. They reset and cleaned the sensor and sent me on my way. It's happened three other times since then and I limp it back to shop every time to get reset. I should not be having this issue with it barely out of warranty. It says a lot of one shop to have three Malibu's waiting for this part to become available. I love the Malibu's but with the issues with this car I┐ve had it's hard to keep my faith in Chevrolet. They know this model is having issues yet has not recalled my vehicle yet and I┐M out of pocket. I┐M a single mom that needs a reliable car.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Nov 012018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds the ''engine power reduce'' message was displayed and the speed suddenly decelerated to 20 mph. After turning off and restarting the engine, the vehicle operated normally; however the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to bredenann Chevrolet (1401 West dempster St, parkridge, il) where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be cleaned and the accelerator pedal was faulty and needed to be replaced. The contact was informed that the accelerator pedal was on backorder and there was no estimated of when the part would be available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 062019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate and decelerated to 20 mph. Also, the reduce engine power warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to titus-will Chevrolet (11011 pacific ave S, Tacoma, wa 98444, (253) 539-1000) where it was diagnosed that the accelerator pedal position senor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Yelm, WA, USA

Feb 202019

Malibu

While driving, engine loses power and the car shuts down. (this happens in traffic!)

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 112019

Malibu

While driving, the engine loses power and the car stops right where it is.(in traffic) this has happened 3 time recently. This is a safety issue. I purchased the car from andrew chev. Milwaukee wis.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 052018

Malibu

The engine developed a cracked piston after approximately 60,000 miles.

- Clarence, NY, USA

Dec 202018

Malibu

This vehicle is very dangerous, while riding on the highway or just driving all together the engine speed reduced light will come on and the speed drops if I'm on the highway it drops to 40mph if im driving the street it drops to 20mph, my kids and I were almost hit by other drivers on several occasions because of this, I have taken it to the dealership and no one seems to know the problem, for the past week it has been getting worse and happens at least 5 times a day, something has to be done about this as its very dangerous for my family and I

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 142019

Malibu

I was driving 35mph, and suddenly the car lost power, and I was going 10 mph. A message came on saying reduced power. I had the car towed to the dealership that I purchased the car, red lion Chevy. They found nothing wrong with the car, and told me I better get the car off the lot. I was scared to drive the car as if I was on a highway, I could have been run over by a truck. I already had a cracked piston repaired and the car needed a new engine. On star sent me an email stating that I have an engine and transmission problem and to get the car serviced.the sales manager rivera just wanted to sell me a new car, and they wouldn't do any further testing on my vehicle.

- York, PA, USA

Jan 232019

Malibu

At cruising speed on the freeway, approximately 65 mph, the car jerked and lost a significant amount of power. The check engine light illuminated and the warning "engine power is reduced" displayed on the information panel. The car continued to lose a significant amount of power until I was able to get out of a separated toll lane and to the breakdown lane. After restarting the car, it was able to again gain power. Over several days, the car would go in and out of this mode and the check engine light went off and on multiple times, it again lost power on the freeway, lost significant power while driving up hills (dropping from a speed of 55 mph to below 20 mph within a minute). Cars behind my car had to move out from behind me and I had to pull in to the breakdown lane on several occasions to let other cars pass me as I was unable to maintain a legal speed. This problem was assessed by quirk Chevrolet and determined to be caused by the throttle position sensor in the gas pedal and the engine control module. Quirk identified that these components are not covered under the powertrain warranty (despite the fact that they are necessary components in the powertrain) and that the total cost to replace these would be approximately $520 plus the cost of a rental car. They also were not able to locate an available gas pedal/throttle position sensor assembly by the end of the business day and were unable to identify a timeframe for the length of time this would take to complete because of this missing part. They also identified that they would not be able to reset the ECM until this sensor assembly was completed.

- Epsom, NH, USA

Jan 142019

Malibu

I am having an issue with my car and the code is P2138. This is an accelerator issue and when the issue comes about, the car engine reduces and my car will not go over 20 mph. I called the dealership to get the part and it is on back order. This is truly a safety issue and should be a recall versus me having to pay for this and the part should be available as this is dangerous. If I am driving on the highway and this happens, I myself or others could get seriously hurt if not killed. This is happening to me several times a day and I need my vehicle and am scared to keep driving it without it being fixed. Of course, my vehicle is over mileage warranty, therefore I need to pay out of pocket to fix this dangerous problem. This is a safety issue as the car is in motion and there is no warning sign that the car is going to rev down to 20 mph. Chevrolet said there is no recall and the only way they could even consider reimbursement of any kind would be to have the car diagnosed at the dealership (which is $115 to diagnose). The car was diagnosed by a licensed mechanic, therefore it should not matter where it is diagnosed.

- Machester, NH, USA