Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Malibu:

Sep 012018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the vehicle lost power and stalled. Also, the check engine indicator illuminated and "engine power reduced" appeared on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken twice to burkins Chevrolet (273 E macclenny ave, macclenny, fl 32063, (866) 551-5325) where it was diagnosed that the throttle cable needed to be blown out and the system needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The failure mileage was 75,656.

- Glen Saint Mary, FL, USA

Jan 012018

Malibu

When the car comes to a stop I can hear rushing water in the dashboard. I have had this checked by the dealer shop. They found nothing. The problem is still there.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Dec 252018

Malibu

This vehicle has started up and stop on it's on while driving sitting at a red light also the pedal is getting air through it and the reduce engine light continues to come

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Mar 262019

Malibu

While driving vehicle on highway at a speed of 80 mph, this message appeared which said engine power reduced speed. I had to find my way to the right side of the highway, while other vehicles are traveling at a 75+ mph, and my vehicle speed has reduced down to 30 mph in a matter of seconds. I pulled over to the emergency lane on the expressway and shut down my vehicle. After 15 min, I started my vehicle and the check engine light was on, but I was able to drive at a normal speed again. This is a hazardous issue and need attention immediately.

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Mar 202019

Malibu

I purchased the 2017 Malibu in 2017 and currently have about 24000 miles on it. In the past three months (since December 2018) my check engine light has turned on and been serviced for the code P2097: Post catalyst fuel trim system high limit. I was told after the first visit to the dealership that it was a software problem that needed updating. However, it should not be turning on every few hundred miles. The light turns on after highway travel. My specific Malibu also needed the hydraulic valve lash adjusters replaced due to the exhaust valves not sealing, this was supposedly corrected in December as well.

- Billerica, MA, USA

Feb 112019

Malibu

Vehicle went into żengine power decreasedż unable to accelerate with the check engine light on as well as throttle sensor on. Took to dealer who checked all of the diagnostic codes and said it was fully operational. Again drove for about 1 month and same thing happened. Took it back in and Chevrolet dealer said it was the accelerator pedal sensor. We replaced the sensor being a $200 part last week and again the check engine light came on. When this happened we were on the highway in a snow storm and had our baby in the vehicle. It locked up and cars couldnżT slow down appropriately. We left the highway for safety reasons and kept vehicle on as it was below 0 degrees outside!

- Hartland, WI, USA

Mar 142019

Malibu

I purchased the car with 11miles on it and I am still having these issues with loss of power steering resulting in almost near death crashes. The car stalls while in motion. This has happened both in traffic and on the highways. Ive had to pull over on the highway. The emissions in the car is always a problem and the engine constantly sounds like it falling out as you switch gears. I have reached out to GM to complain, however they have not been helpful nor are they experts in fixing transmission/ emissions issues. At this point I no longer have faith in this 2017 Malibu and I feel like GM is taking absolutely no responsibility in the errors of the mechanics of this car. So far, I was told after 1 year of trying to fix the issue and hundreds of dollars spent on rental cars because this issue is not deemed a warranty issue, they gave me $1500 to purchase another GM vehicle, never addressing the issue of the safety concerns I have with the car. That is not fix I am willing to settle for. What about the monthly obligation I have in terms of paying off this car? none of the technicians were able to explain to me why this is and I have spent countless dollars in an effort to have this car looked at. The reason for my recent complaint is because again the car is experiencing stalling and low power steering. The original fix from Chevrolet was to change something in the battery "found code coboo B1325 low voltage codes. Found shorted cell in battery casuing low voltage at startup replaced battery and road tested 6 miles. No code returned " however they have changes that cell everytime I take it in for service. This does not fix the issue, instead causes me more money because this is not a warranty issue and I am always having to leave my car for weeks. I am looking for a remedy that is safe for both me and my children. I have repair orders if needed

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Mar 132019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated in the middle of traffic and almost crashed into another vehicle. The check engine and traction control warning indicators illuminated and "engine power reduced" appeared on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to reedman toll Chevrolet (1700 Lincoln hwy #101, langhorne, pa 19047) where it was currently being diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 092019

Malibu

I started having issues with my 2017 Chevy Malibu a little over a month ago. I was driving in the city and the engine light came on and a warning for engine power reduced came on. Car would not go over 30 miles and hour. It didn't happen again until 2 days ago its happed for both days on day it came on as I was entering the freeway. Had to pull over and turn my car on and off untill I could drive it again normally but the engine light would turn on and off. I'm very disappointed this is happening to my new car. The reason I got a new car was to have something reliable. I cant even trust to drive this car what if it happens and I have my baby in the car... I'm so disappointed.

- Maryvsille, WA, USA

Feb 282019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle decelerated and powered down without warning in traffic. The check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to autonation (500 Washington boulevard, laurel, md 20707, (866) 525-2985), but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Severn, MD, USA

Mar 042019

Malibu

At least twice a day, while driving, Iżll randomly get a message on my message board stating żengine power reducedż and then my car will slow down. IżM unable to speed up, my engine light comes on and I have to find a safe spot to pull over, shut the car off and wait about 10-15 minutes before I can restart it. Once I restart it I can drive but my engine light remains on. Iżve taken it back to the dealership I got it from but they are telling me nothing is wrong and that it's just a sensor.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 012018

Malibu

Engine power reduces sporadically while driving on highway and regular city streets. Initially issue happened once a week. Now it's happening and average of 3 times per day. When engine power reduces car will not accelerate more than 30mph which is dangerous on a highway. The more I use the car, the more frequent the issue is happening. I was informed by hessert Chevrolet that it is a censor in my gas petal and the gas petal needs to be replaced. The gas petal has been on "national" back order since the beginning of January 2019

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 092019

Malibu

For 2 years now I can be driving and I get a warning that the engine has been reduced only allowing the vehicle to go 25 mph. I was on the highway (81) and almost lost my life when the truck behind me almost didn't stop in time. I have been to the dealer and understand the part I need is back ordered with no indication as to when the part will come in and I cant get a replacement vehicle. I use my vehicle for work and cant be without transportation. Onstar emails me every time stating there is a problem with the engine/transmission.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Jun 122018

Malibu

Both mine and my wifes 2017 Malibu goes in to reduce engine power mode with stability tack light on and service engine light on.and when it happens on the freeway car just drops to 25 miles an hour.very dangerous

- Redlands, CA, USA

Feb 082019

Malibu

My Malibu, purchased new in 2017, has 28170 miles on it. While driving on the highway I suddenly received a message saying that "engine power is reduced". instantly my car stopped accelerating no matter how hard I pressed the gas, and rapidly decelerated. Again, on the highway. I had to coast to the shoulder and wait for a tow truck to take it to the dealership. This is a terrifying problem that seems to have happened to many others. What ever the issue is that is causing this should be resolved and a recall in place.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Jan 172019

Malibu

When driving the engine lose power and the traction light and check engine light comes on. The car tell you that the engine is losing power. This keeps happening. I also have been into the dealership several times due to the check engine light keeps coming on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 042018

Malibu

I purchased my vehicle in September 2017 and at the beginning of June 2018, the check engine light would turn on and I'd get a message reading "engine power reduced". the turbo would be shut off. I took it back and forth to the dealership about 5 times before they finally replaced the turbo valve. Nothing happened and all was fine until the beginning of October when it happened again. My partner and I took the car to another dealership and they said that it was a computer code reset issue. They said they reset it and it should be fine. Within one week, it was back on. I don't know what to do at this point since each time I take it in, the service department sees the issue but they continually say nothing is wrong with the vehicle. The light comes on both while in motion and stationary, in my garage, in a parking lot, driving on Suburban streets, on the highway, whenever. There's no specific movement that triggers this and no past or current recalls regarding this issue, though this has been a common complaint apparently for the Malibu vehicles, according to one of the dealerships I took my vehicle to.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Nov 222018

Malibu

Bought vehicle new 12-5-17 and on 12-6-17 engine light while in motion on highway came on I was advice by service member at dealership that it was an emissions problem and it would fix itself. Engine light went away and then 10-11-18 in while in motion on street engine light came on and car decelerated in speed giving message engine power is reduced. Was going to take to dealership that following Monday but the engine light went away again before that time. Today 11-22-18 engine light back on, while in motion on street speed reduced, same message saying engine powered reduced. Those times that the engine light came on speed would not go over 30 miles per hour

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 202017

Malibu

TL the contact owns a 2017 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the vehicle unintentionally decelerated and the engine, traction, and reduced power warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to cable dahmer of Kansas City (555 w 103 St, Kansas City, mo 64114, (816) 285-4589) where the contact was informed that an unknown sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 40,500.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jun 012018

Malibu

My 2017 Chevy Malibu has been doing power engine reduced for awhile it's been to the dealership many times for this issue. I have almost been in to multiple car accidents because the car reduces speed while driving shouting my car down to go no faster then 20 mph. This is a major safety issue that Chevy is giving me a run around about when obvious the car was sold to me like this. I have warranty on my car and they still have not fixed my car properly leaving me everyday at risk driving this unsafe car that can cause a major car accident especially when it dose it when IżM driving on the freeway which has happened three times already. I have all the paperwork for all the work that has been done to this car which is crazy since it's a new car. I need to know is there a recall on this engine in this car since they cannot fix the problem with my car. The first issue was my airbags then it was the suspension which I was told again the suspension are bad meaning they probably never fixed them along with this engine problem IżM having.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA