Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

Aug 102015

Monte Carlo

I have a 2003 montecarlo ss with a 3.8 engine. Recently within the last couple of months my security light has come on. Have been told it is the pass lock. In order to shut it off I stop the car shut off lock and unlock doors and the light goes out. I have also been told this could either shut the car off or not start. Big problem. It could come on while driving or stationary.

- Halifax, MA, USA

Oct 302015

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. While driving at various speeds, the engine failed and the security warning light illuminated. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vcm and the ignition lock cylinder failed and needed to be replaced. The failure occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. While driving at various speeds, the key was removed from the ignition switch and the vehicle continued running. Also, the contact mentioned that the key became stuck in the ignition switch when attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was not taken back to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 143,068. Updated 02/05/16 updated 02/25/16.

- Wakeman, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. While parked, the vehicle failed to start and the key remained in the off position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Akron , OH, USA

Jan 122015

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the remedy failed to work and the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the ignition switch had to be replaced. The contact stated that the manufacturer refused to cover the repairs since the key fob was listed as the remedy on the notification. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 152014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

While operating my vehicle at various speeds my vehicle appeared to lose power at the dash. Certain dash instrumentation and the ac blower motor would just stop operating, for no apparent reason. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where their first diagnosis was a bad ac blower motor that was causing the issues as mentioned. The dealer charged $365 for a new ac blower motor to be installed. After the new ac blower motor was installed and within the first 5 miles after leaving the dealership, the brand new ac blower motor stopped working. Vehicle was taken back to the dealership, where they now determined that it was a faulty ignition switch that needed to be replaced and that it was not the blower motor as previously diagnosed. I asked about the recent recall on ignition switches and I was informed that only the ignition key is covered under the recall and not the ignition switch. A new ignition switch was installed and now everything appears to be ok. I contacted the dealership in an attempt to get my money back for the cost of installing an ac blower motor that didn't need to get replaced. The dealer refuses to reimburse me the $365 for what I had paid for the ac blower motor. They claim that the ignition switch is not covered under any recall. I am claiming that the ignition key switch was damaged and ultimately failed as a direct result of the current recall key issues for my model and year vehicle. I should be reimbursed the $365 that I paid for an ac blower motor that I really didn't need. The recall should not just cover the ignition key, it should also include the ignition switch if it proves to be defective and/or has been compromised in any way by the ignition key itself.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 212015

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The heater fan kept turning on and off and I had to have a new ignition switch put in. At times the fan would quit working while going down the road.other times the fan would not turn on. The cruise light would blink when the heater fan was turned on and the cruise would quit while driving down the road.. I saw on the news last night where there was a recall. I've not recivedany info.

- Rudolph, OH, USA

Dec 102014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted, but the speedometer needle seized. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the pass lock system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Apr 172014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I was driving home from work and was involved in a car accident, where I rear ended another vehicle. I was shaken and unaware of what happened as it happen extremly fast. As I hit the vehicle in front of me I had no control of my vehicle. My air bags deployed but it was seconds after the impact which I though was very odd. When I treid to move my vehicle off to the side of the road I noticed the ignition switch wouldn't turn. After playing with it for several minutes I was able to move the vehicle. I just thought is was because of the accident. Since then my ignition switch has locked up 2 different times, making me connect all the dots back to my accident. I belive this ignition switch caused my accident.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Jun 192013

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact received a recall notice for the air bags and took the vehicle to the dealer for repairs. The failure recurred after the repair. The contact received another recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V350000 (electrical system) and stated that the ABS indicator remained illuminated ever since the first failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The NHTSA campaign number for the first failure was unknown. The failure mileage was 171,000.

- Del Ray Beach , FL, USA

Jan 272010

Monte Carlo

TL- the contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet monti carlo. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 14V40000 (electrical) remedy itself is not sufficient to proven the failure from occurring. The dealer and manufacturer was made aware of this matter. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated while parked in a parking lot, the vehicle to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer stated the ignition switch cylinder failed. The dealer had to drill out the old ignition switch cylinder, replace it and install 2 new keys. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure did not occur again. The failure mileage was approximately 114,267.

- Cochranville, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to remedy the recall was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

Jun 182014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact had to make numerous attempts to start the vehicle. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. Updated 10/29/14 the consumer stated the theft differential fuel enables circuit condition. The ECM has not received the proper signal from the theft differential system. Updated 4/24/3015

- Leesville, SC, USA

Jul 012014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. While approaching a stop sign at a low speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after thirty minutes. The contact replaced the battery, but the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Elyeria, OH, USA

Sep 082014

Monte Carlo

My 2003 monte ss had been smoking and having problems accelerating & shifting and put on testers and read code and I needed a air flow sensor so I had that put on, was recommended I get tune up so I got that, and had just put new battery in the car. The following day after putting gas in the car I was leaving gas station and lost acceleration again and the car smoked again. I soon lost all power including gas & breaks and windows. People passing by were honking and said the underneath of car and under hood had flames in front of car. I had to throw it in park and jump out because the peddles quit working and the car exploded in flames and had I not had my window down I would have been locked inside and could have lost my life. The engine and whole electrical wire harness had caught fire and the car burned up with 3-5 minutes. This was our only car and the only means of getting disabled child to the appointments he needed and to work and has put hardship on our family.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 142014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I was driving home from work when a woman using her cell phone changed lanes into my lane without looking. Causing me to have to jam on my brakes and swerve to miss her. Upon doing this action my vehicle shut off and I rear ended her. I believe there is a defect in the ignition system as I have also had my ignition lock up and couldn't get the key out. When my air bag deployed it also quick deflated. I believe this should have been caught a long time ago and this accident would not have happened.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Jul 172013

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

My car randomly flashes the security light on the dashboard. I've made some research on the internet and it seems like alot of cars of the same make and model experience the same problem. Sometimes my car does not turn on until about 10min of letting it just sit there. Please fix this problem as I believe it should be a recall.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 012010

Monte Carlo

The ignition causes the car heater and air lights on dash to go out while driving.

- Doyle, CA, USA

Jan 042014

Monte Carlo

Once my car peaked at 100,000 miles the security light came on and never shut off. Sometimes the car start and sometimes it wont. Once I was in the middle of traffic when it cut off on me. While driving all the lights on the car would start flashing uncontrollably. Their is loud clicking noise coming from the whole panel. Now the car is sitting in my driveway unable to start. I have been reading tons and tons of forums about several hundreds of people that has experienced this exact same problem. Why hasn't GM recalled this problem?

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 162013

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

While driving at any speed the ignition system would reset lighting up the display cluster just as if the key was turned off and back on. This would cause a momentary shutdown of the engine. The problem seemed to be more prevalent while turning the wheel for a curve or turn off the road. The turn signal unit was first suspect since it seemed to correlate with applying the turn signal and turning the wheel. The condition worsened to the ignition shutdown for longer periods shutting down the engine causing steering and braking to be shut down and finally difficulty starting the car. After 2 visits to a GM service center the problem was found to be a faulty ignition that was replaced and the problem has not recurred.

- Flora Vista, NM, USA