Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

Mar 012012

Silverado 1500

My Chevrolet Silverado pickup (1500 4X4) has experienced three major brake failures. The first failure was while driving and approaching a stop sign. When I attempted to brake, my foot went to the floor. After pumping a few times, the truck slowed but with little stopping power. The vehicle was immediately towed and brake fluid was actively dripping from the lines. The second failure was about a year later while driving at low speeds (<5 mph) while parking. Again, my foot went to the floor before the ABS system activated (completely dry conditions) with essentially no stopping power (ABS activation but no braking power). This resulted in an accident as the truck did not have enough room to effectively stop (thank goodness the car in the parking space in front of my was unoccupied). After being repaired by the dealer (twice), the problem just occurred again (approx. 2 years later).

- Landenberg, PA, USA

Oct 152014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds and depressing the brake pedal, the ABS system engaged intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the front passenger speed sensor erratic needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Ashland, WI, USA

Jan 082015

Silverado 1500

I own a 2002 Chevy Silverado, and I have had the brakes fail on me multiple times the first time I encountered this issue was in early January when I was driving to school and I approached a stop sign and when I went to slow down I had no brakes and my vehicle rolled into the street luckily I wasn't go very fast and there were no cars coming so I didn't get hit. The repairs cost me 175$, that was repairing the problem to bare minimum (single brake line replacement). After I fixed that issue I ran into another problem, the ABS brake system will now spontaneously turn on when I come to a stop, it resulted in a three car crash, I was going to back into a parking spot and when I pulled my truck forward I tried to stop and the ABS locked up my trucks brakes (not slippery out) and forced me to hit two other vehicles, one was majorly damaged and another with minor yet still severe damage, this accident ended with me paying more in insurance and having to fix the damages on my own vehicle out of pocket. I will also in the very near future need to replace all my brake lines because they are on the verge of failing and I am being priced near 900$ for the repairs, I am not sure how much the ABS problem is going to be because the truck has been parked ever since the incident, the brakes are costing me a lot of money and hardship.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Feb 102015

Silverado 1500

Went to stop for a red light. Brake pedal went right to the floor. Had to swerve not to hit the car in front of me and swerve again not to kill the guy walking on the shoulder of the road. This is unacceptable I have driven lots of car into the ground never has this even been a thought. All brake lines needed to be replaced 1100 dollars later!

- Brewerton , NY, USA

Mar 012015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 5 mph approaching an intersection and applied my brakes. I could feel the ABS system functioning as I was on a snow-covered road. After about 1-2 seconds of ABS activation, the brake pedal lost all pressure and continued to the floorboard. I was able to coast to a stop and could see the brake line located on the driver side under the driver seat, squirting brake fluid onto the ground each time I engaged the brake.

- Chatham, IL, USA

Jun 172014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While slowing down at a stop light at approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal failed to respond and the contact had to depress the brake pedal several times to stop the vehicle. Once the vehicle stopped, the ABS and brake warning indicators illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was recently repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. However, the brakes were replaced and the failure persisted. The failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000. Updated 04/06/15 updated 9/27/2017

- Clay, MI, USA

Mar 012015

Silverado 1500

Brake line under driver side frame are completely corroded and one ruptured and my brakes to fail about 90 % could barely come to a stop.

- Dry Ridge, KY, USA

Jan 152015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the brake line was rusted and the ABS module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000....updated 03/31/15 updated 6/22/2015

- Knoxville , TN, USA

Feb 032015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving downhill at O'hare airport terminal 5 I went to stop for the light and there was a brief second where the brakes acted normally and then the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I had maybe 10% braking power. I had to drive on the side of the road and through the red light to avoid hitting another vehicle. I brought the car to my mechanic who said the brake line above the gas tank rusted right through.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jan 252015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

As I was driving I approached a traffic light and applied the brakes. As I applied them, the pedal never offered much resistance and eventually went to the floor. I suspected that a flexible brake line had ruptured so I got off the street as quickly as I could. I examined the inside of all of the wheels where I thought that brake fluid might be evident. There was none to be seen. I limped home with the vehicle and examined it more closely. There was a major leak under the floor of the vehicle in a rigid brake line leading to the anti-lock brake controller. I researched the issue on the internet and found that GM has refused to issue a recall for rusted brake lines. In my opinion these lines should be of the highest quality material to be found. GM, however, must not think that the safety of their customers warrants any better materials than the rust prone metal that the brake lines are manufactured from.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Sep 262011

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

On 26 September 2011 said vehicle had to have all brake lines and other brake parts replaced due to excessive rust/rusting out at 71,012 well maintained miles at a cost of $1300 plus. On 30 December 2014 said vehicle had to have all fuel lines and fuel filler tube replaced due to excessive rust/rusting out at 90,790 well maintained miles at a cost of $1800.oo plus.

- Port Deposit, MD, USA

Dec 262014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Drove to Milan, mi from ypsilanti, mi. To look in on sister in law who is incapacitated due to broken femur from fall. Brakes felt mushy as I slowed to enter her driveway. After entering the driveway at low speed I applied brakes and pedal went to floor. Tried pumping brakes with no result. Threw shifter into reverse to keep from plowing into sister in laws vehicle. If this had happened earlier on the busy road leading into town I would have surely had an accident. Found brake lines badly rusted and both lines leaking that run from master cylinder to antilock module mounted to frame under drivers area. It is ridiculous that these two safety sensitive lines are made of un protected steel as opposed to copper nickel and are run out of the protected under hood area to the high corrosion prone underbody to meet the inappropriately placed antilock module. Two years prior to my purchase of this truck GM heavily advertised the rust resistant galvanized panels they were using in their trucks. I have since found out that they quietly removed this rust protection. I have ordered new break lines to totally replace all metal lines on this, my last Chevy truck. I can only wonder how many fatalities have resulted from this often referenced condition. The difficulty will be in ever proving the cause and affect (effect) of these accidents since they will be so devastating in nature, the driver will probably be killed and not be able to testify about the true cause and almost all GM trucks of this vintage (especially in the rust belt states) will have break lines so rusted that they will crumble in almost any accident. My experience shows that the unfortunate driver won't always have "some" braking ability left on a line failure.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 122014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Brakes started to slip when applied, taken to shop reported that all brake lines need to be replaced due to rust.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Dec 092014

Silverado 1500

The emergency brake fails to work, it has had the pads replaced 3 times. The emergency brake continues to not work properly.

- Pikeville, TN, USA

Aug 012014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I had replaced antilock brake module last year and had brakes worked on this year and last and replaced brake pads. The rotors had been turned before, on a trip to my daughters my brakes started to go out. They were completely out by the time I reached her corner. I had to have all new brake lines and rotors and pads even though there were only 6,000 miles on the pads. I also had rustproofed the truck including the underbody and carriage when I bought it new in 2002. It's a rust bucket despite the extra protection. The antilock brake module was rusted. The brake lines were completely rusted through. And now the fuel pump is out and they fuel lines are rusted as well. What gets me is I paid so much extra for extra rust proofing. It should not have rusted through this bad at only 125000 miles. The antilock brake module is placed where the rust can get at it right under the chassis part unprotected. So much for safety. That went out at about 75000 miles but just got it replaced at 100000 miles or so. The brake lines and the fuel lines are a joke on this vehicle. I used to make and inspect and test them at a factory and these would have never passed inspection for corrosion test. But they weren't made there. The factory is closed. No union wages either, but we did good work not this garbage. It cost over $500 for module and it cost 2500 for the rest of brake job. And now the fuel lines and pump and filter will cost over $1000. Plus my truck body is rusting through on the rocker panels. I bought a Silverado because they hold their value and are dependable. Now my vehicle is only worth about half of what it should be and I'm paying though the nose on top of it! we have a 98 Chevy Blazer with 195000 and no rust on the rocker panels and the brake lines are just now getting replaced. There was no extra rust protection on it either! when is GM going to be responsible?

- Fayette, OH, USA

Aug 092014

Silverado 1500

Crested a small hill to see a red light with three cars in line. I depressed brake pedal, which went to the floor. The vehicle was stopped using the parking brake after swerving into empty lane of oncoming traffic in order to avoid hitting the line of cars from behind. Upon inspection, the front brake circuit was blown in the piping just aft of the front driver's side wheel. It is extremely difficult to stop a large truck with empty bed using only the rear brakes as they lock up easily. There seemed to be no brake power using the brake pedal, which is why the parking pedal was used. Even with a functional parking brake, the "failsafe" of having only one circuit is nearly useless given an empty truck bed (low rear-wheel traction) and a loss of pressure on the front circuit. In my opinion, losing the front brakes on a truck is catastrophic. In any event, in my case, the supposed fail-safe either did not work or was inconsequential. All of the hard lines (fuel and brake) on this vehicle are extremely corroded and are being replaced with stainless. This car spent the first five years of its life in Oklahoma and Missouri (where little to no salt is used) and moved to nh in 2006. The rear driver's side rocker panel is also rusted through and the frame has very significant rust, especially on the leaf spring hangers. In addition, the front driveshaft is rusted to the point that I will not operate the vehicle in 4WD until I replace it. This vehicle seems very susceptible to rust, especially the brake lines, some of which crumbled in my husbands hands while removing.

- Bedford, NH, USA

Nov 192014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I took the vehicle to the shop for a safety inspection. They found that the metal brake lines had rusted through and were leaking. Fortunately this problem was discovered in the shop, avoiding a possibly catastrophic brake failure while driving. I had the front lines replaced by the shop at a cost of $581.50, and I am replacing the rear lines myself. I am filing this complaint to document the problem as it relates to previous requests to GM by the NHTSA to issue a recall on these vehicles for this problem.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Aug 202014

Silverado 1500

While traveling through town approached an intersection when brakes were applied pedal went to the floor tried to pump them as fast as possible to not get into a collision with car sitting at the red light. Did an avoidance maneuver into right turn lane was unable to stop truck and narrowly missed oncoming traffic turning left as I approached the corner, I shifted transmission into low gear and was able to apply parking brake to stop truck. Took to mechanic and found brake line ruptured below drivers seat had to replace all brake lines due to corrosion.was informed by mechanics repairing the ruptured line could break surrounding lines as they were all corroded as well. So they replaced all brakelines and all piston calipers as well because ferrul nuts were rusted into calipers. $1600 dollar repair. Lines and calipers (4).

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Nov 122014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 45 mph, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle and the ABS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and the mechanic informed the contact that there was brake line failure. The brake lines were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Nov 092014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Driver swerved in front of two cars in front of me causing them to brake hard. When I brake the brake pedal went to the floor at 70 mph. I swerved in to the emergency lane to avoid hitting the vehicles in front of me. I kept the pedal pressed and engaged the parking brake while down shifting the truck from drive to 3, 2 then 1st. I then placed the truck in neutral and got the vehicle stopped. Upon inspection on the side of the road I found one of the rear steel brake lines had burst.

- Lebanon, OH, USA