Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

Nov 072014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving on us rt 202 the light ahead of me turned red so I attempted to slow down and my brake pedal went straight to the floor and did not stop or slow down. I had lost brake pressure. Ran the red light where I almost T-boned another car, right in front of a police office. After avoiding the crash I parked on the side got out and saw brake fluid pouring out of the drivers side under the drivers door area. The brake lines had failed due to rust. I and other motorists could have been seriously injured for an issue that both GM and the NHTSA know about.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Oct 292014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph engaging the brakes, the brake pedal sank to the floor and the vehicle failed to stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the brake line had rusted and needed to be replaced. The brake line was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- New Haven , IN, USA

Jun 042014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the driver side seat belt would suddenly retract and prevent the contact from moving. Also, the contact indicated that the ignition key became lodged in the ignition switch and could not be removed. In addition, the ABS sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the ABS pump motor was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Point Pleasant , WV, USA

Nov 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While traveling at 25mph and coming to a slight abrupt stop, the brake pedal fell to the floor while depressing the pedal to stop. The vehicle came slowly to a stop with steam rising from under the vehicle. Upon pulling the vehicle to a safe location and upon inspection, it appears as if one of the metallic (assuming steel) brake lines feeding from the master cylinder to the ABS block had burst. No indication lights on the dash of a braking system failure or low pressure alert for the system. It appears that the brake lines were corroded/rusted. Upon discussing with a reputable auto shop, they indicated that this is a common issue on this model year vehicle and that a repair to replace the lines may be required. This is a safety issue in my opinion and if the materials used to make this safety system were non-corrosive; this would have not happened.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

The ABS system activates or does not allow you to stop. It seems like the truck continues to accelerate. Pumping the brakes does not work. Putting it in neutral or ramming it in park is the only way to stop it. I almost ran someone over today. This is a very serious issue. I can not drive this truck in this condition. Looking at the forums out there this is a well reported problem yet I have not been made aware of the recall. I have not changed my address and have owned this for more than a year and a half.

- West Bend, WI, USA

May 142012

Silverado 1500

Was approaching a red light at approx 30 miles per hour when the brake pedal simply "popped" and went all the way to floor. I was able to muscle it to a stop between the very little braking left, downshifting and the emergency brake. Mechanic determined all brake lines rusted and leaking.

- Media, PA, USA

Jan 012014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to respond. The contact had to use extreme force in order to stop the vehicle. In addition, the brake warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who repaired the brake lines, but the failure persisted on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Ludlow , MA, USA

Sep 292014

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

Leaving from work at the greater cincinnati airport. Driving down the ramp to the stop sign at donaldson rd. While attempting to brake for the stop sign the brake pedal went to the floor causing the truck to go through the stop sign across the East bound lanes of donaldson road and finally stop before entering a ditch on the North side of the road. At first, I was going to have the car towed. I found that there was some residual braking left and I, slowly, drove the car approximately 12 miles to my house. The next day I took the car to the local shop and upon inspection was told that one of the brake lines had failed due to corrosion. I was also told that "all" brake lines needed to be replaced due to corrosion. Total bill was over 1200 dollars. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado extended car/long bed 1500.

- Independence, KY, USA

Oct 042014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

2002 Chevy Silverado truck was sitting in driveway I was ready to leave pushed on the brake to put it in drive and the pedal went to the floor. Looked under the vehicle fluid everwhere. Not one leak or any sign before. I knew what it was because I know at least 4 other people with Chevy trucks and thier lines went, 1 had an accident running in to the rear of a car. I have a new line set but didn't get to in time. If thay hadn't failed in my driveway the outcome would have been intierly diderent with my son his friend and myself. One would think they would use a material to withstand the elements on brakes!!!!! my work truck truck is a 2001 Silverado so I checked it and there gone also. I would be willing to bet that most pepole fix the lines and don't report. To me this is a big problem.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brakes failed due to rusting brake lines.

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Sep 232014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The incident happened while driving home from toledo Ohio to home in white lake Michigan. My exit was normal when exiting the freeway. I applied brakes to begin slowing down. As I approached the end of the exit ramp the traffic light was red with other vehicles waiting. I applied the brakes harder and heard a popping noise. The brake pedal went to the floor. I tried to pump the brakes to get them to work to no avail. Rather than running in to stopped cars I ran my truck off the road. I was lucky that I was able to stop my truck without hitting the vehicles waiting for the light. I went online to review this and found there are numerous complaints. One comment from GM is that the vehicle will stop if a line ruptures. Not true. Also, since when are brake lines a maintenance issue and not a safety issue. My manual doesn't say replace brake lines every 20,00 miles or 5 years.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Sep 212014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Was leaving a paintball field parking lot. Was moving at idle speed of 5mph and went to slow down to hear someone yelling something. Pedal went to the floor. I continued to the stop sign and the pedal once again went straight to the floor. I had to drive 23.5 miles to get back home using the old school method of down shifting and applying the little bit of brakes I had left. ****very dangerous**** once I got home I checked my brake reservoir and it was half full. Under the truck inspection showed fluid from the drivers door all the back to the rear end. I could not see where the leak originated from. Will have to take to a mechanic and pay.

- Pierron, IL, USA

Aug 232014

Silverado 1500

Issue with the ABS brakes. Sometimes the ABS kicks in and doesn't allow you to stop.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Sep 032014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

At under 60,000 miles both brake lines from master cylinder were badly rusted. One line failed and the other was in imminent danger of failure. This is an extremely dangerous problem and Chevrolet has been resisting a recall for years. This truck was driven mostly in a non-salted roads state. It is unacceptable to have brake lines rusted through in under 60,000 miles. Chevy tries to cut costs and save a few pennies on a component that is critical to life safety and they refuse to make it right when their cost-cutting scheme fails. My second and last Chevy.

- Akron, OH, USA

Sep 022014

Silverado 1500

I own a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 4X4 pickup. My brake lines failed today and caused me to run into a parked car at work. My father has a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4 that he bought brand new and garage kept and still almost had a bad accident due to his brake lines failing 3 years ago. When I GM going to realize that brake lines are not normal wear and tear. I own multiple vintage Chevy cars that are between 25 and 37 years old with the original brake lines. Why is it GM is waiting for people to be killed due to these problems. I chassis wash my truck as much as possible and also have friends and family with Silverado is year close to mine. All have same issues. Its sad that older GM cars have survived better than these newer built models. Now tomorrow I am going to have to spend alot of money on a part that should not fail. Why is it that my exhaust system on my car has stainless steel parts but yet the one part that should be absolutely made from stainless steel is not! sad that my exhaust will be in great shape as my brake lines fail! I have owned GM cars and truck my whole life and will no longer buy GM products. I have multiple other issues that many, many other Silverado owners have. How can thousands of Silverado and other make of GM cars and truck have so many of the same problems and GM not recall them. My exhaust manifolds have 2 broken bolts causing an exhaust leak due to broken bolts! I have engines from the 1960's with factory manifolds still installed and no broken bolts. Put the damn american made steel mills back up and stop buying this cheap metal because for what most of us pay for our cars and truck the least GM can do is put quality parts in them. Offering a brake line kit to have installed in GM dealerships is not helping people that need there truck like I do daily. Recall the damn brake line problem models and fix them right!

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Aug 212014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the brakes failed and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered a brake fluid leak and that the brake lines were corroded. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Mays Landing, NJ, USA

Aug 202014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Pulled out of parking lot at low speed and stopped to wait for a red light. While stopped with foot on brake pedal, brake pedal suddenly dropped to the floor. When light turned green I accelerated slowly and tested the brakes to find the stopping power of the vehicle reduced to near zero. Pulled over in a safe area after a few blocks and inspected vehicle to find fluid sprayed around front passenger wheel well and dripping from brake line. Suspect sudden brake line rupture had occurred. Decided vehicle was unsafe to operate and parked it awaiting tow.

- Danville, CA, USA

Jul 262014

Silverado 1500

I own a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The brakes failed while attempting to stop the vehicle in a 35mph zone. The brakes initially worked and then the pedal went to the floor. I could feel the ABS engage but not stop hitting a vehicle in front of me. When I exited the vehicle I could smell the brake fluid and observed fluid leaking from multiple locations. The air bags did not deploy. The driver of the vehicle sustained injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle is currently being repaired by the manufactures dealer.

- Rockaway, NJ, USA

Jun 172014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Was trying to slow down while coming over a hill to a known stop light. Applied brakes and brake pedal went to the floor. No brakes. No warning light, no other indicator. Was able to come to a stop on the side of the road without hitting anyone. Puddle of brake fluid could be found under the truck. Had to replace all the brake lines as they had rusted out totally. Lucky no one was hurt, but if I had been closer into the city it wouldn't have been pretty.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Aug 022014

Silverado 1500

The contact owned a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the brakes failed while driving downhill. As a result, the vehicle was crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver was injured and the vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified. The speed was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Swanton, MD, USA