Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

Jul 112014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the brakes failed after recently being replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact also stated that the same issue happened previously and the brake lines were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Detriot, MI, USA

Jul 192014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Pedal went to the floor, rusted brake line, got to replace 3 of the lines...

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jul 182014

Silverado 1500

Rusted brake lines caused a near accident when the line broke, resulting in loss of braking abilities.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jul 072014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake lines were heavily corroded and failed. No warning signs to make this problem identifiable or expected. The truck was immediately unsafe to drive. Both the front and rear lines between the master cylinder and ABS module failed, causing the truck to have no braking power whatsoever.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Feb 172014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

We have replaced the driver side brake lines on my truck at least 3 times already in the last in the last year and a half. Luckily every time but one it was discovered before I pulled out of the driveway.

- Clinchco, VA, USA

Aug 162012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake line failure due to inferior, unsafe materials, subject to corrosion, used to manufacture brake lines. Brake line suddenly burst, luckily at very slow speed, while leaving a parking place. GM dealer "repaired" brake lines immediately, indicating that the breach was at a single corroded spot in the line. Approximately 1 year later, brake line, again, suddenly burst, again, luckily at very slow speed in a farm field. Same GM dealer replaced all brake lines, indicating that all brake lines were completely corroded. Brakes and steering are the most important safety systems on a vehicle; one cannot kill/injure one's self if the vehicle does not run, will not start or looks terrible. These essential safety systems should be constructed of noncorrosive materials, for pennies in extra cost to GM. GM has responded publicly that this is a wear and tear issue and these vehicle are simply "too old". this is a lame excuse for such an important safety system! please ask GM why this problem is not present with all makes and models of vehicles of a similar age.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Apr 212014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was driving and when I went to stop the brake pedal went to the floor and the truck took a long time to stop. The brake failure was caused by rusted brake lines which allowed the brake fluid to leak out. One line was rusted all the way through and several other were badly rusted.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Jul 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Went back up to a boat trailer pedal went all way to the floor! had no brakes pump pedal to have any brakes went to repair show had use emergency brake and pump brake pedal holiday week lucky somebody had parts also get use in! also pulled a 5th wheel weight of around 8,900pds before that lucky I wasn't towing it threw brown county and monroe res in Indiana are it would killed me and my family could not keep it slowed down have use my trailer brake on the 5th wheel if that could even stop use!

- Columbus , IN, USA

Jul 122013

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While pulling out of my garage, I stepped on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. I quickly discovered that one of my brake lines had ruptured. After inspecting my brake lines, I found extremely high amounts of rust throughout the exterior of the lines. The brake line that ruptured had rusted through and caused the brake failure. I have replaced the two lines that were rusted the worst and hope to replace them all in the near future. I do not feel that brake lines should rust all of the way through at this low of a mileage. This is an issue that GM needs to deal with on its trucks and cars as it could cause a very serious crash and possibly death to someone who is not familiar with the issue or how to check for it.

- West Harrison, IN, USA

Jul 072014

Silverado 1500

Brake line ruptured while pulling into parking space almost striking another parked car. Remaining brake lines are very rusted and will need replaced.

- Brownsville , PA, USA

Mar 122014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Pulling out of a gas station..break lines ruptured and I drifted out into the road before being able to stop. Car was able to stop with a lot of breaking force.

- Simsbury, CT, USA

Jan 172010

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brakes failed when I was driving, coming to a stop. At about 5 mph the pedal went to the floor and I lost all stopping control. I had the truck towed to a Goodyear shop who told me that the brake lines were corroded and one failed causing all pressure to go out. Upon further inspection, the entire brake system was corroded and they had to replace/rebuild the entire system. Total cost to fix the brakes was $2464.47.

- Norfolk, MA, USA

Jun 042014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floor when depressed. The vehicle failed to stop until the emergency brake was engaged. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who informed that the front driver's side brake line fractured due to excessive corrosion. The four brake lines were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 104,685. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 08/12/14 updated 07/06/2017

- Easthampton , MA, USA

Dec 232013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

On the evening of December 23, 2013, while travelling on a Connecticut state road, I applied my brakes, as a vehicle was turning left ahead of me. The brake peddle went immediately to the floor. I realized a brake line had ruptured. I was about a mile from the automotive repair facility that I utilize. I was able to nurse the vehicle there, where it was subsequently repaired (brake line replaced). In the past, I would have taken the vehicle to the local dealership where it was purchased, but that dealership was one of many closed down by GM. The nearest dealership, in any direction is about 20 miles. Fortunately I have found an outstanding local independent automotive repair facility.

- Madison, CT, USA

Jun 062014

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

For several years, have been out time & expense of installing new park brake pads not needed, turning drums, tried replacing long brake cable under floor, pulled rear rotors several times & re adjusted park brake... 1 week later don't work again.. I have to put blocks under wheels for 3 years to keep truck from rolling down driveway.. live on a hill..Chevy don't need the tension on little bitty park gear in transmission....also have had to fix every Dec because safety inspection ends Dec, ,,neighbors have Ford & Dodge & theirs will stay in driveway..have no idea how much money & time spent on a GM blunder... why has their not been a recall " another cover up by GM executives "

- Burleson, TX, USA

May 282014

Silverado 1500

Instrument cluster went completely dead.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Jun 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

After exiting the off ramp of I264 in portsmouth, Virginia I sped up to approximately 35 mph and approached the next stop light. Upon applying pressure to the brake pedal no resistance was noted and the slowing of the vehicle was found negligible. I rear ended a vehicle in front of me at approximately 25 mph. Both cars involved in the accident were pulled into the median out of traffic. As I exited the vehicle I noticed fluid dripping from the truck frame at the forward hinge of the driver side door. The dripping fluid was brake fluid. I suspect a ruptured brake fluid line or tube had ruptured which caused the loss of braking power. There was no warning given by the vehicle's computer to warn of low brake fluid because the reservoir was still at the normal level. I believe corrosion of the brake lines was accelerated due to the use of salt treatments on the roads during the winter snow storms that have fallen in the past three years. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt and luckily this did not happen when I was exiting the interstate at a much higher rate of speed. Also the air bag did not deploy upon impact. These are two serious safety issues incurred in once incident to a truck which has less than 70K miles and 12 years old.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 242014

Silverado 1500

Brake problem with ABS. Vehicle did not stop correctly almost causing accident. After researching found recall for ABS wheel issue for other states but not Texas. Vehicle was manufactured in Canada.

- Garland, TX, USA

Apr 042012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Original incident truck felt like it wasn't going to stop. Next incident was trying to stop and wasn't able to stop in time. Had to pull off the side of the road, regain composure, brakes were basically gone. Pedal to the floor to come to a slow stop, required many extra feet to come to a stop. Truck is parked in driveway due to expense to replace all 4 totally rusted out brake lines.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

May 272014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was approaching a stop light at a speed of about 25 mph and stepped on my brakes to begin slowing down. The pedal went completely to the floor and I felt no braking. Luckily, I did not need to stop immediately, and there was no car in front of me. I began pumping the brakes and just holding the pedal down to the floor and there was slightly enough brake action to allow me to slow down a bit and pull off the road and into the parking lot of a service station. I got out of the truck and could see the trail of brake fluid I had left behind on the parking lot and could see brake fluid dripping from the brake line on the left side of the truck approximately underneath the frame below the driver side door. The service station has told me that all of the brake lines are corroded and need to be replaced. If I had needed to stop suddenly I would have crashed for sure as I had no warning whatsoever that this would happen. Very scary.

- Chardon, OH, USA