Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

Aug 172013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Silverado.ABS issue. Driving at less than 10mph, ABS pump was engaged and I was barely able to stop the vehicle, I had to use parking brake and downshift in order to get my vehicle to stop. I was within one car length from striking another car on the road. ABS is constantly running and kicks in at lower speeds. Very unsafe.

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Aug 132013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Went to put on brakes and nothing found that they have rusted through and not from rubbing or clamps. Was able to keep from hitting another car.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 012013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Was hooking up trailer and started to move touched the brake and pedal went to floor. Left rear brake line rusted completely into. All brake lines very rusty. Because of rust I have replaced all 4 rotors, all 4 calipers all 4 shocks, always parked in garage.the truck frame is total rust. The rims had to be painted because of rust the spare is solid rust.

- Nashville, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While driving to work early one morning. A Saab went through a stop signed and I had to slam on my brakes. The pedal went to the floor, no brakes. All brake lines blew.. cost me over $600 to have them replaced. Faulty brake lines on truck, I could have been seriously injured or killed if I didn't swerve around Saab ! these should be recalled and fixed...

- Leominster, MA, USA

Jul 232013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake pedal went to the floor. When I got home I saw brake fluid leaking out of steel line. When I took to get repaired they put truck on lift and I saw that steel brake lines were corroded and holes opened up in lines.this was a costly repair and this should not have happened.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jul 212013

Silverado 1500

I started my truck in order to put it away in the garage, and the brake pedal went to the floor. Upon investigation, I found a pool of brake fluid below the truck. I also saw that all of the brake lines were extremely corroded and needed to be replaced. I went to my local dealership to inquire about repair costs, and was told that repairs would be over $1,000. I have never seen corrosion like this in any vehicle that was less that 25 years old. I have restored many vintage cars, and have never had to replace a steel brake line due to corrosion. I had my two young grandsons and my wife in this truck with me less than a week ago, and if this brake failure had occurred while we were traveling on the interstate highway, it is likely that we all would have been killed. These vehicles are ticking time bombs, and must be taken off of the roads. I have garaged this truck since I purchased it as a new vehicle, and it has been serviced at our local Chevrolet dealership per the manufacturer's schedule. The corrosion issue is not due to neglect, but rather to the use of substandard material. This is an urgent issue that must be addressed and rectified.

- Willard, OH, USA

Aug 052010

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

ABS sensors faulty no brakes, next brake problem on 5-31-2011 brake line rotted no brakes, next brake problem 6-24-13 no brakes again ABS sensors broke again, next brake problem,7-20-2013 all brake lines rotted need to be replaced no brakes again cost to me so far almost $2800.

- Swansea, MA, USA

Jul 202013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While towing my boat I was approaching a stop sign while pressing my brake pedal it went completely to the floor. I was barely able to get out of the way of the other stopped cars at the stop sign I had just enough pressure to stop in the oncoming traffic lane just past the cars in my lane which I was lucky enough to avoid hitting. Thankfully also there was no cars coming in the other direction. I then pulled over and got out of my truck and noticed brake fluid leaking from under my truck under the drivers side door entrance. I then looked under and noticed the rusted lines the fluid was coming from as it was dripping out. This could of been a disaster because if I had made it to the interstate and got on the highway to head home I surely would of not been as lucky. So far my towing cost me $298 to get my truck home and to my mechanic where it sits in their lot until Monday morning. Luckily my fishing partner was not far behind me and saw me pulled over and then pulled over to see what was wrong. He has a truck and towed my boat all the way home for me which was 60 miles. This was by far the scariest event I ever have had in my truck while towing but do realize that it could of been much worst. After reading all the countless issues that most have had with this I cannot imagine why GM has not stepped up to fix the problem through a recall.

- Stratford , CT, USA

Jun 072013

Silverado 1500

My girlfriend was driving my truck went to pull in to a parking spot when she hit the brakes ABS kicked in and would not stop the truck causing her to hit a parked car with a good amount of damage to the other car the brakes have never giving me problems and now its got no brakes 2002 Chevy Silverado.

- Wayland , OH, USA

Jul 112013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

2002 Chevy Silverado 4X4 ext cab truck was recalled in 2005 for anti lock brake activation at low speeds the dealer cleaned put on anti corrosive material on sensor (after truck was in a accident I got the notice in the mail 3 days later) now 7/11/2013 its happening again, they will not fix it again only once, cost for new hub and sensor I about $700 per side $1,400 total to fix problem, this is a safety issue GM, Chevy should fix not put a band aid on the fix. Also the Chevy dealer said to me its a lifetime warranty on parts and labor wow that's great at my expense. Why didn't they put the lifetime warranty when its new, now I have to pay twice some deal.

- Rollinsford, NH, USA

Jun 272013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Lost most of my braking as a result of heavy rust on brake lines and other brake parts. Mechanic said this was way more rust than there should of been in these areas.

- St. Charles , MO, USA

May 082013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes were applied and the anti lock brake system engaged independently. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was repaired previously under NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Jun 212013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Went to stop for a red light and the drive side rear brake line blew, I went through the intersection with no brakes. That was a thrill.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Jun 252013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was coming to a normal stop at the traffic light, I was slowing down normally then began to press the brake pedal. About half-way of pedal travel, the brake pedal suddenly went all the way down with no resistance and I could not stop my Chevy Silverado 2002. I had to suddenly veer into the next lane to avoid hitting the car that was in front of me that already had stopped at the traffic light. I then had to quickly shift down through the gears to get the truck to slow down, then after the truck had slowed down a lot, I shifted into park to force the truck to come to a stop. After I was able to slowly pull into a parking lot and stop the truck, I existed the truck and looked underneath the wheels and saw brake fluid sprayed all over the driverside front wheel well. The brake line had burst. I took it to the mechanic to fix it and he confirmed that the brake line had burst. He also inspected the brake lines for the other three wheels and recommended all of them get replaced. After doing some research, I have found out that this is a common problem with the Chevy Silverado gmt800 trucks from model years 1999 and up.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Jun 062011

Silverado 1500

Sometimes when I apply the brakes at low speed 5 -10 mph on dry pavement the ABS will start to cycle making the stopping distance extremely long.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Jun 032013

Silverado 1500

The emergency brakes have never worked, the pedal goes to the floor and will not hold the truck. I have a 4 wheel drive with an automatic transmission. When on an incline in park the truck will sometimes start to roll down hill.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Jun 132013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While bleeding brake system after changing rear calipers found a rupture in the brake line on the frame by the front tire. The line was completely rusted and failed. Luckily in the driveway and not the highway.

- Fernandina , FL, USA

Jun 062013

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

I had traveled approximately 1/2 mile from my house when I applied the brakes to slow down. The pedal had barely any pressure as I applied the brake, fortunately I had a little bit of pressure and I was able to bring the vehicle to a stop, by a combination of downshifting and using what little brakes that I had left. The brake warning light on the panel came on at that time. The vehicle was taken to a local shop to have the problem checked out. I was told that my brake lines were completely rusted out and that they all had to be replaced. I was approximately 1/8 of a mile from my entrance to the highway, and I was fortunate that this happened before I got on the highway. I would have been in congested morning traffic traveling at a speed of 60mph. I had no prior warning. I was told by the repair shop that the lines were rusted so bad that it was senseless to try to fix just one section, and that if they did that I would be returning shortly to repair additional parts of the lines. They told me that this was a very labor intensive repair and that it could cost approximately $1000 dollars. I was also told that this was a common problem with many Chevrolet manufactured in the 2000 years. This is a very dangerous situation and their should have been a recall on this issue.

- Manchester, NH, USA

May 202013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Leaking fluid found to be brake fluid coming from rust ruptured brake lines, all lines rusted and deemed by dealership to require replacement of lines and front brake calipers.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

May 182013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Upon requiring an emergency stop from 50 mph approaching a stop light at a busy intersection, one of the brake lines burst. The brake pedal went to the floor. (no brake warning light, no low brake fluid light, and no loss of ABS light). I pumped the brakes and dropped the transmission into 1st gear in hopes of slowing down before a crash. I made the right turn at the intersection, which was up hill and eventually brought the vehicle to a complete stop. I put the truck in park and applied the emergency brake. Fortunately, the light just changed so the intersection was still clear. The vehicle was towed after confirmation of the damaged brake line. Further inspection has revealed that all the steel brake lines are heavily corroded and are in need of replacement. This issue seems pretty frequent with this particular year and model. A weak or poorly designed brake line should be the responsibility of the manufacturer. Proof of fault is indicated in GM's decision to change the brake lines to stainless steel in newer models. If no recall is issued at least a warning should be given to current owners!!!

- Nothbridge, MA, USA