Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

Jan 292018

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While the vehicle was approaching a stop sign, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when it was depressed. The driver had to apply force to stop the vehicle, which had still gone through the stop sign due to the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed by a dealer. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was excluded from the brake system recall. There were more than 20 tsbs on the brake system; however, the manufacturer provided no solution to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was not available.

- Fort Valley, VA, USA

Jan 192018

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to operate. The contact stated that the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard, which caused the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The contact was a certified mechanic and was able to diagnose that the brake line was damaged and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 168,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 152017

Silverado 1500

Experiencing unwanted ABS activation at low speeds on dry roads when slowing down and/or stopping, with or with out pressing on the breaks.

- St.Stephen, MN, USA

Oct 152015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving, the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to stop the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to an unknown independent mechanic who informed the contact that the ABS control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to stewart Chevrolet (780 serramonte blvd, colma, ca 94014) where the contact was informed about an unknown manufacturer recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not being repaired per the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 133,475.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 052017

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While backing out of the driveway, the brakes did not work. The contact had to use the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The contact shifted to drive to park the vehicle back in the driveway, but the brakes did not work again. The emergency brake had to be utilized. The contact exited the vehicle and noticed brake fluid all over the driveway. The contact looked under the vehicle and noticed the brake lines were severely rusted to the point that it was hard to determine which of the brake lines was leaking fluid. The vehicle was towed to the dealer (kendred Chevrolet in smithfield, Missouri) where it was diagnosed that all the brake lines failed and needed replacement. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 032017

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 7 mph, the anti-lock brake system activated and pulsated until the vehicle stopped. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the failure started intermittently approximately three weeks ago and has become worse. The failure occurred daily. The vehicle was not diagnosed by an independent mechanic or a dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but the VIN was not included in a recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Oct 022017

Silverado 1500

The anti-lock brake system engages at slow speeds causing inability to stop. The road surface does not matter, wet, dry, dirt or paved, it is a failing system. This was a random problem, now it happens all the time. The system will make a ratcheting sound then a grinding before as you come to a stop. You have to be ready to let off the brake and reapply pressure hoping it works. I live in a neighborhood with small children running around everywhere. I would hate to think what would happen if these brakes failed me when I really needed them.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Aug 292017

Silverado 1500

All brake line for entire truck had to be replaced because of rust issues, as well as rear backing plates which had rusted completely away. ABS sensors are activating at low speed on dry pavement causing truck to take longer space to stop

- Troy, NY, USA

Jun 082017

Silverado 1500

Brake lines are severely corroded. Causing pin hole leaks. Lines are so severely corroded that there is no way to fix except to replace all bake lines. This is a exterme costly repair. Dealer ship quoted a minimum $1700 but could be higher. Leaks occurr while driving then applying brakes due to corrosion cause weak spots in lines. Leaks only occurr while driving then applying brakes that cause increase in pressure in lines. This could be very dangerous in fast moving traffic.

- Russiaville, IN, USA

Jan 192017

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving 6 mph, the brakes failed to work without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 251,000.

- Mt. Pleasant, MI, USA

Jan 142017

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Came out of a restaurant put foot on brake pedal and it went to the floor had truck towed to dealer and was told brake lines need replacing at a cost of $1100 dollars. Just glad that I wasn't driving as this was very dangerous.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Sep 222015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Started vehicle early one morning for the first time that day, allowed it to warm up for about one (1) minute and then placed it into reverse to back out of driveway. After traveling about six (6) feet in reverse attempted to stop, pedal went completely to floor with no resistance at all and vehicle stopped after about six (6) feet. There was a complete and total brake failure. No prior indications, no dashboard warning light. After stopping the vehicle I noticed a small puddle of liquid on the ground near the rear of the driver's side door. After having vehicle towed to repair shop I was notified by the repair shop that the brake lines had completed corroded. Total repair shop cost to replace all brake lines was $810.36. This did not include the cost of the tow truck to get the vehicle to the repair facility. I am the first and only owner of this vehicle.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Oct 062016

Silverado 1500

Complete brake failure on a busy Suburban street. I was intending to stop for a red light and had no brakes. Pedal went to the floor. No collison. Truck needed to be towed to repair shop. Cost was $872.73.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Sep 262016

Silverado 1500

We just purchased a used 2002 Chevy Silverado on 9/25, took it for a safety inspection and was told that the brake lines had burst and brake fluid was leaking. These repairs are going to be very expensive and I feel that GM should cover the cost of the repairs, since there are hundreds of problems with the brake lines on vehicles of this year/make/model.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Jul 092016

Silverado 1500

Travelling from pa to cape hatteras, nc. Total brake failure of all 4 wheels in bumper to bumper traffic on us 158 S bypass in kill devil hills. Managed to swerve onto right berm grassy area and shift to low and use hand brake to stop. Had two children in the back seat. One was a 2 year old. Had to drive 42 miles with no brakes to reach destination. Mechanic in rodanthe had to replace all brake lines and master cylinder. Brake lines were totally rusted out. If this would have happened on I-95 at 70 mph we would probably all have been killed.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Feb 012016

Silverado 1500

Fuel and break lines completely rusted out. Fuel line broke while replacing fuel filter. Necessitated replacement of entire fuel line system. Break line broke while driving around same time losing all breaking functions. Needed to turn off road and kill motor to stop. All break lines need replacement. I spent $2500 fixing.

- Mukilteo, WA, USA

Aug 062016

Silverado 1500

I was pulling my 2000 lb boat to the lake sat. With my 2002 Silverado 1500. I made it to the launch ramp ok but when I went to launch the boat I couldn't stop rolling down the ramp [ no brakes) I was only able to save the truck from becoming a submarine by throwing it in drive and hitting the gas. I drove into the parking lot to find the brake line rusted out. Had this happened at highway speeds it would have been catastrophic. I read online about the issues with the lines and the fact there was a backup. Trust me when I say while pulling a boat it would have never stopped me. I've had cars longer this this in my 40+ years of driving any never had a brake line fail from rust. I would have liked a heads up on this issue as I've seen it to be a problem in multiple years. Needless to say I'm disappointed again by GM by not at least giving the owners a heads up. And I'm thanking god for my wife and I not being injured on a simple fishing trip. Shame on you guys. If it wasn't an issue you wouldn't have changed the lines on later model cars. Just one more push to make me look at other vehicle manufacturers. Greg klocke

- St Charles, MO, USA

Mar 012016

Silverado 1500

Brake lines and fuel lines are very rusted also the drive shaft and ABS bracket 2 brake lines have rusted through while driving the truck has only about 100,000 miles it is very dangerous

- St Louis, MO, USA

Aug 042016

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While attempting to engage the brakes, the brake pedal sank to the floorboard. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the brake lines fractured due to corrosion and caused the brake fluid to leak. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,412. Updated 10/06/16

- Coshocton, OH, USA

Jul 192016

Silverado 1500

I was driving on the highway and had to stop, the brake pedal goes to the floor with hardly any brakes.I had to go on the right side of the road to avoid major crash. Was very shocked and heart was racing. I never had that happen before in all the years I have been driving. I managed to make it home by using lower gears and emergency brake to stop. When I finally got home I looked to see what the heck was going on and saw that my brake lines had corroded thru and the fluid was coming out. I went on line to see if there was any others with this problem and saw there were many, many complaints about this issue. I called several places and the cost to replace all my brake lines was around 1200 - 1700. I ended up getting them replaced for $1600. This should not happen. I have owed many vehichles over the years in this same area and have never ever had to replace a brake line. I think this should be a major recall before anyone dies. There must be faulty metal being used in these and needs to be stainless steel. I would like to be reimbursed for the $1600 I had to spend on these faulty brake lines. They need to do a recall or let people know about this problem and reimburse them for the repairs.

- Williamsport, MD, USA