8.4

Most common solutions:

2. complete repaint of all four doors (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

Apr 032019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

click to see larger images

defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint

hard to see in the photo's but you can see fairly easy that there are MANY bubbles waiting to break open as the one's lower on the rail have already done. There is a spot on the passenger side of the front fender that is chipping or flaking off as well. Chevrolet has a serious issue w/paint on the 20145/15 trucks by the looks of the posts that I have come across. I reached out to Chevrolet, let's see if they do the right thing or not.....

- Pat D., Saint Paul, MN, US

Aug 012018

Silverado 1500 LT V8

I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado and the paint is chipping in at least a half a dozen area's on the truck. I have read on this site about 2014's having paint issues, did anyone have a solution?? Thank you.

- loganstreet1, Memphis, US

Nov 032018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Paint should not be peeling on a truck this new. Paint and clear coat used is unacceptable.

- Ray S., Lumberton, NC, US

Apr 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Very unhappy with paint job, at 60k miles the paint shouldn't just be chipping off. Especially because vehicle is well maintained by myself, and seems to have been very well maintained by the previous owner.

- kapanka, Ft Stewart, US

Nov 012018

Silverado 1500 LS V8

click to see larger images

defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint defective paint job, peeling paint

Chevy paint started bubbling. I noticed paint separating from body. Now it is flaking of in the wind. There is no damage, just started bubbling.

- Stacy M., Spring Valley, US

Sep 102018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Bought the truck in 2016. Paint peeling around doors, windows and bed of truck. After contacting Gm/Chevrolet only willing to pay $600 for a faulty paint job. Apparently chevys craftsmanship is only worth $600. Dealership even told us its excessive peeling. We are loyal Chevy owners and there only willing to pay $600

- Lewis G., Holbrook, US

Feb 012019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

Bought the truck used back in November 2018 and noticed paint flaking off. Small areas at first, now larger sections are coming off. It's sickening and I'm very disappointed in GM.

- Billy A., Talking Rock, US

Oct 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Apparently there is a problem with paint on 2014 Trucks and as I read more, it sounds like the problem will continue to get worse. My truck is 1 year out of warranty on the time, NOT mileage and GM doesn't cover it. And they like to tell you it's because of a rock. I think I get this fixed and sell the Chevy and they've lost a customer forever. It's not about the customer experience any more, it all about $$$$, sad they it's gotten to this point....

- Brian S., Lebanon, TN, US

Jul 072016

Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3L

I just want a solution to the defective paint job. No way a $50,000 vehicle should be chipping or peeling.

- Derrick P., Cleveland, US

Jul 142018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

I own a 2014 Silverado and as I was washing it today, the paint started peeling off the roof first and then the passenger back door was next. This truck has been very well maintained and I can not believe this is starting. You pay $45,000 for a truck you would expect the paint to last for more than 4 years. This is unbelievable at the least GM has not done anything to correct this issue.

- Misty R., Portland, TN, US

Apr 012018

Silverado 1500 SE 5.E

click to see larger images

This 2014 Chevy Silverado which is silver, that I work my ass off to have, has had more paint fall off of the bottom of the doors then my twenty-five year old Ford. I got the front doors fixed and now it's falling off the back doors and the drivers side of the bed. Can not take having to go back to the body shop again. Something needs to be done by Chevy or GM, this is crazy. I paid way too much for it in the first place and now I have to keep taking off work to go back to the body shop. This is definitely a big problem. I take really good care of it and work my ass off for it, so I have a nice and reliable vehicle and now the only thing I can count on is more paint falling off.

- Carl T., Connellsville, PA, US

Feb 272018

Silverado 1500 LT

We bought the truck brand-new, took extra care of the truck, mainly just hand washing the vehicle. In May of 2017 the paint on the passenger's side right behind the driver was peeling on the door, although it was small paint chips missing and considering that we had purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty my husband chose to purchase paint and just patched it up.

The next occurrence was in February of 2018 when I took it to the manual car wash. So while washing the truck the paint began to peel away on the hood of the truck. At first I couldn't believe my eyes I brought it home so that my husband could examine the truck and that's when he explained that this was the second occurrence of paint peeling and that we should take it back to the dealer. At first I called GM and put in my complaint I was told to take it back to the dealer with the reference number that was assigned to me. After waiting 4 hours the dealership said they were waiting for a callback from corporate and that they would contact me tomorrow.

The following morning I received a call from the dealership and advised that because the truck was 4 months of out warranty they could not repair the damage. Are you serious a $50k vehicle and the paint starts chipping 2 1/2 years after purchase - the truck was brand new with only 30 miles on it. This is the second Silverado that we've purchased from the dealership, our 2003 Silverado truck never had peeling paint issues (which we still have) so I'm convinced that this is a factory defect. We will be consulting attorney's to see whether this is a possible class action lawsuit.

- Paula S., Montclair, US

Mar 212016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Dealer fixed door paint peeling first time ,now at 50000 mi the hood and fenders are peeling. they will fix it but i have to pay $500 plus get a rental car for 3 weeks, making the repair well over $1000 for a defect that came from the factory !!!! looks like i have to buy a Ford or Ram next time !!!

- woodblover, Temecula, US

Feb 012017

Silverado 1500 LS 4.3L

2014 Chevy Silverado Manufacturer Defect Paint problems. Took to dealer at 36700 miles and 6 months out of warranty. Response: sorry its out of warranty. This is obviously a manufacturers defect. This is a serious Manufacturer defect!!! A $40k vehicle should not have paint chipping off in multiple spots at 36000 miles!! We need a class action lawsuit.

- bbarde2, Pittsfield, US

Apr 242017

defective paint job, peeling paint

I have a 2014 K1500 Double Cab with 25k miles on it I bought GM Certified 6 months ago. Recently I brought my new truck to the dealer immediately after noticing paint "missing" on the bottom portion of both front doors. Several areas are the size of a quarter or larger and appear to me as if the paint simply separated from the vehicle somehow given the shape and appearance of edges. Additionally, the exposed metal has no appearance of bonding whatsoever and is smooth and grey as if it came off the floor and is waiting to be painted.

Just spoke with dealer yesterday who indicated the service manager was very confident cause is rock chips thereby not covered by the 3 year / 36K mile bumper to bumper. I had a 1998 K1500 with 200K miles on it and have a 2007 Suburban with 170K miles where I've never noticed any sort of "rock chip paint separation on the doors". Additionally, my 2014 has never been off pavement in the six months I've owned and has extremely light driving in town. Aside from being extremely let down by Chevy's initial response to this problem, I'm overall heartbroken the paint on a near new vehicle is separating regardless the reason.

Please pass along any guidance, websites, bulletins, Class Action Lawsuit, etc that may help

Update from Feb 10, 2018: After nearly 8 months of continued pressure on the dealer (who was less then willing to help), regular reference to GM Bulletin PIT5313C, and a plea for help to Chevrolet Customer Assistance I finally was able to get GM to own up to this MANUFACTURING FLAW; All four doors were repainted! This is an acknowledged GM issue with 2014 and 2015 1500/2500/3500's built prior to 5/15/2014 at Ft Wayne Assembly (11th VIN position = Z) and shouldn't require customers pain and aggravation over upwards of a year to resolve! I'm happy my vehicle was finally corrected ... that said, considering the time involved and stress my local dealer caused I remain extremely let down by GM.

- Dalton and Breanna S., West Richland, WA, US

Mar 292017

Silverado 1500

defective paint job, peeling paint

Apparently it is a defect of the 2014 Silverado's to chip paint on the drivers side and passenger side doors on the bottom.

- Amanda W., EAST ISLIP, NY, US

Feb 252017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

defective paint job, peeling paint

I am unsure of how this occurred, we have had some bad weather and that may have impacted it, but as far as I can tell there are not dents on the effected area of the roof, although the rear quarter panels of the tuck have some dents which were related to hail damage.

I have filed through USAA to get a quote to repaint and fix those dents through my insurance, but after reading the postings relating to the silver paint job and peeling paint it makes me pretty upset! My truck no longer has a bumper to bumper warranty and I paid $46k for this LTZ Z71 brand new Feb. 2015 (truck is a 2014). The paint is peeling off very easy at that spot. I hope that I don't experience the issue with the doors as a lot of others have reported. If I have to pay out of pocket to repaint this truck I am going to never buy a GM product again in my life. I should have listened to my folks and stuck with a BMW SUV. 3 out of 3 domestic cars/trucks I have owned (brand new) have had some type of defect which has really affected my outlook on buying Chevys, Fords, and GMC vehicles.

- Ryan F., Griffin, GA, US

Sep 222016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Bought the truck brand-new with 14 miles on it, taken extra good care of the truck, & noticed the paint on the drivers door was peeling away, took it back to the dealer they said due to the truck being at 42,000 miles the paint won't be covered. Told them paint should last more than 36,000 miles. Not sure what i am going to do.

- Keith O., Riverton, UT, US

Jun 152016

Silverado 1500 3.2L V6

I purchased a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado (Silver in color). I took my truck to the dealer where I purchased it to get photo's taken. They were going to call me within a week to let me know what the rep said. It has been 5 weeks and I still don't know no more today than I did 5 weeks ago. I noticed there were 8 more complaints on this make and model. I would like to know if they are silver in color. PLEASE STATE THE COLOR OF YOUR TRUCK WITH PAINT PEELING.

It is peeling everywhere on my truck except the hood and front fenders. If I had of bought the truck and it was used I wouldn't be so pissed. But I paid a lot of money for this truck and I am sure the other 8 complaints did too. We want to know when will our truck be fixed????????

I will be contacting a lawyer if I don't get an answer soon.

- Ramona B., Pheba, MS, US

May 012014

Silverado 1500 LT V6

The paint job is the thinnest, cheapest I've ever seen on any vehicle. I used to love Chevy's. This one is making me hate their brand now. Had chips in the paint from normal driving within the first few weeks of purchase. If you feel over the chips with your fingers the paint isn't even "paper" thin, it's less. My husbands 1999 Chevy has withstood time better and yes, there are a couple of places due to damage that the paint has been affected. However, when you run your finger over those it's supper thick. He has the normal scratches you expect overtime, but it hasn't completely taken the red paint down to the body like it has on my 2014. Hating this truck and I've been a Chevy lover all my life.!

- jennycrlsn, Farmers Branch, TX, US