Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

Feb 142014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

The first incident occurred while driving the vehicle on the highway. The engine light came on and the dash readout gave a low oil pressure warning. The truck was towed to the dealer. They said it was a bad oil pressure sensor and replaced it at a cost of approximately $450. Five months later the same problem happened again while driving on the freeway towing a horse trailer. I again had the vehicle towed into the dealer. They said the oil was low and did an oil change. The warning light was off when we got the truck back. The latest incident happened on 4/18/2015. The engine light came on again. I brought the truck to an auto parts store where they read the fault code. The code is P0521 - oil pressure sensor or oil low. I checked the oil it was nearly full but I added a little anyway. The light stayed on. I made an appointment at the dealer. The light went off the day before our appointment. I brought the vehicle to the dealer and now they are telling me that the truck probably needs an oil pump and a valve cover and it will cost approximately $1075 to fix. I have done extensive research on this problem on the internet. There are hundreds of owner complaints on various websites documenting the same problem I am having. There appears to be a defect in the design of the oil system in these vehicles. My truck just went out of warranty in December 2014. They want me to pay for this repair even though I have already paid for repairs for the same problem while it was under warranty. This appears to be a serious product defect and GM should issue a recall.

- Saint David, AZ, USA

Jan 052015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

There is gradual coolant loss over time with no evidence of leak found. On cold start, there's also lifter or piston tapping. We suspect defective castech cylinder head that may be cracked. GM is aware of this problem and needs to take responsibility for the repairs associated with this defect.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Aug 082014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Dash cracked at corner of passenger airbag noticed around 55,000 miles. Engine consuming oil, noticed around 40,000 miles. Front breaks vibrating, noticed around 18,000 miles. Dealer and GM has refused to fix.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Nov 172014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving my 2009 Chevrolet Silverado one morning on my way to school(luckily I wasn't to far from home when the incident occurred) when the vehicle lost power and the dash showed the check engine light, service stabilititrak, and service traction control. When the incident occurred I was in the middle of the road when my vehicle began to decelerate and eventually was not able to go past 45 mph. I pulled over and my vehicle and parked, shut off the engine, and then started it back up only to show the same icons on the dash. After turning around and slowly returning to my house I shut the vehicle off and had to take my wife's car to work. Under other circumstances this could have gone extremely bad and an accident may have occurred. This seems to be a common trend on the internet and forums and needs to be addressed by GM!

- Burnet, TX, USA

Oct 132014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Went out to truck to move it and noticed wipers up on windshield, tried to start it and only check engine light came on, looked under hood to find an electrical burning smell coming from fuse box. Disassembled fuse box to find it was melted and found evidence of combustion, wiring harness connector X2 pin N5 was melted and connector X5 pins G1 H1,2,3,4 K 4,5,6 and J 2,3,4 had melted this is all the damage that I found.

- Columbia Station, OH, USA

Nov 162013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Driving on I10 heading to houston, the entire truck completely shut down, and then turned back on, this again happened 02/2014....the whole truck shut down, thank god the wheels did not lock up or we would have been killed both times. It is at the dealers...freedom Chevy san antonio tx....something is bad on the truck...like playing with a light switch...the dash, every instrument shut off both times, now I am worried that it will happen again, and I can not afford another truck. I thought that the 1st time was just a fluke, but when it did it again, I know now something is not right and is very dangerous for me and my little girl...please reply if a human really reads this.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 062014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Driving down highway, check engine light pops up, tractions control indicator light, along with digital display saying several things. Such as, engine reduced power, service traction control soon..........pulled over, had a very rough idle. Made it to parts store and have the truck scanned. Turns out it need the throttle positioning sensor needs replaced. Had them clear the code, drove few more miles and all happens again.

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Mar 202013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly jerked as the stability light and check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was pulled into a parking space and shut off and on and the engine started to idle at a high speed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who ran a diagnostic test that showed that the throttle position sensor failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 44,475. Updated 05/08/13 updated 05/23/2013

- Robinson, IL, USA

Feb 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

2009 Chevy Silverado lost traction on highway during slippery road conditions, vehicle spun out and hit a metal roped fence head on and also went across the median and slammed the front end of vehicle into a guard rail stopping it instantly from going into on coming traffic. The vehicles damage was on the front end directly in the center causing a wedge into the radiator, engine and bent the front of the frame. The impact was very loud and solid. The impact caused the truck to stand on the front of vehicle, slamming the back end of the vehicle on the ground with great force. The airbag didn't deploy which at the speed of around 60 mph and the place the vehicle was hit in, makes me very concerned on the safety of this vehicle. My 5 year old son said his right arm was hurting after the accident and with in the hour of having the accident myself ended up in the hospital with a stiff neck and a very soar and bruised back, I was released with minor injuries and I consider myself lucky. Please let me know if anything can be done about this situation and the safety of myself and my son.

- Quincy, IL, USA